1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flood Truck - clues to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Flood Truck - clues to look for

Most anybody can pick one out when it's sitting in 5 feet of water. What are some things to look for if you suspect it may have been subjected to water damage but not sure how much or how long ago. Perhaps the seller is willing to go to above average effort to get rid of the evidence? Are there things to look for to be sure?

I looked at a southern truck the other day and it seemed to have an inordinate amount of rust on the undercarriage. The carpet in the truck had been replaced and it was practically new. The seat brackets and lower seat frame appeared to be rusty as well. The wiring looked new. The rest of the interior had normal wear and tear for a 7 year old truck.

The kicker is that the truck drove and ran like a champ. Does that mean (A) it couldn't possibly have been in a flood? (B) Perhaps it was but the PO has corrected the issues and no more problems? or (C) You might not be able to tell for sure now but if it was flooded, problems will definitely surface regardless of what was spent to try and correct?

Thanks for weighing in.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
That is a flood damaged vehicle. Avoid it at ALL costs unless you are buying it for parts. Modern vehicles have a lot of electronics on them. No telling what strange and expensive problems will show up later because of the water submersion.

Per NADA, this is what to look for when you think the vehicle is flood damaged;

1. Check the vehicle's title history by VIN through commercially available vehicle history reports like Carfax or Experian Auto Check. The report may state whether a vehicle has sustained flood damage.

2. Examine the interior and the engine compartment for evidence of water and grit from suspected submersion.

3. Check for recently shampooed carpet.

4. Look under the floorboard carpet for water residue or stain marks from evaporated water not related to air-conditioning pan leaks.

5. Inspect for rusting on the inside of the car and under interior carpeting and visually inspect all interior upholstery and door panels for any evidence of fading;

6. Check under the dashboard for dried mud and residue, and note any evidence of mold or a musty odor in the upholstery, carpet or trunk.

7. Check for rust on screws in the console or other areas where the water would normally not reach unless submerged.

8. Look for mud or grit in alternator crevices, behind wiring harnesses and around the small recesses of starter motors, power steering pumps and relays.

9. Complete a detailed inspection of the electrical wiring system looking for rusted components, water residue or suspicious corrosion.

10. Inspect the undercarriage of other components for evidence of rust and flaking metal that would not normally be associated with late model vehicles.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 AM
ArrizX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds typical rust wise for any vehicle that I have ever seen surface up here from the South. Rust everywhere.

However I would be suspect to a new wiring harness and brand new carpets. Carfax should show install of new harness, but at the same time if its an odd ball shop, or a DIY thing it obviously wouldnt.

If there is that much rust anyways, it sounds like a red flag for me.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought, a buddy of mine bought a truck from Texas a few years ago that had been COMPLETEY submerged. He knew this going in but the truck was too cheap to pass up. He took the cloth seat covers off, washed them in his home washing machine, re-sealed the windsheild since towing it out of the lake popped it loose but didn't break it and bought new door switches for the power windows and locks. It also needed to have all it's fluids changed, but other than that it has been a good truck ever since. Even the CD player still works!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4

it seemed to have an inordinate amount of rust on the undercarriage.

The carpet in the truck had been replaced and it was practically new.

The seat brackets and lower seat frame appeared to be rusty as well.

The wiring looked new.

The rest of the interior had normal wear and tear for a 7 year old truck.

Immediate need to check:

Was this a northern work truck that did a long life working in the Northern parts of the country where road salt is heavily used?

Salt, mud, dirt being tracked into the interior would cause exactly the damage you say.

Heavy rust in the undercarriage is consistent with high mileage on heavily salted roads.

So don't write it off --- it sounds like salt damage (which can be as bad as flood).

The real check:

Open the passenger side door panel and inspect it for evidence of flood damage (mud and not normal dirt).

Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
The kicker is that the truck drove and ran like a champ. Does that mean (A) it couldn't possibly have been in a flood? (B) Perhaps it was but the PO has corrected the issues and no more problems? or (C) You might not be able to tell for sure now but if it was flooded, problems will definitely surface regardless of what was spent to try and correct?
I think the seat frames being rusty give it away as having been flooded.
I'll go with C, and I agree with Redford 100%. It's just not worth the risk when there are other trucks out there.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I think the seat frames being rusty give it away as having been flooded.
I'll go with C, and I agree with Redford 100%. It's just not worth the risk when there are other trucks out there.

Seat frames being rusted is almost certain not flood damage.

Flood damage often mean a car is not in the water that long --- or it is completely totalled.

Look carefully at the damage.

If the corrosion is limited to the base of the seat (where road salt is tracked in), and if there is more corrosion damage on one side (drivers vs passenger vs. back) that is almost certain not flood damage which would be uniform to some extent.

Whether your conclusion is justified is another thing. But it looks like run-on-the-mill salt damage to me.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
The truck spent the first couple of years of its life in Mississippi before coming to the Carolinas. Proximity to the Gulfcoast and hurricane weather doesn't necessarily mean flood but I don't know that you can dismiss it without further consideration. Had a total of three owners - the last for 20 months. A visual inspection reveals the engine compartment looked clean as one would if it had been steamed cleaned. The undercarriage could be related to boat ownership but the rust wasn't just midway and back. I noticed rust on the motor mounts, radiator supports, and the front tow hooks were missing and you could see some rust in the frame rails. Mainly surface stuff but enuff to notice. Nothing seemed amiss under the hood that I could tell. The new wiring was under the seat and that's the main area of rust that seemed out of place to me. In addition to the seat brackets there is also a metal plate on the bottom of the seat that had some spotty areas of rust on it. This combined with the new carpet was what got me asking questions. I did not see any of the other evidence you guys mentioned. Again, the truck ran very well and I think if it was flooded it was not very recent. It could be that the updates were made to spruce it up for a higher retail. A dealer had it and I don't think he would deliberately cover that up but he would have the resources to service and replace items as he saw fit to help move the truck. Carfax and Oasis were not much help as they did not show anything but new owner registration, a CAM sensor replacement. The absence of regular service on the report made me hesitate as well. The truck ran well but these questions made me wonder if it was just a matter of time before the chickens came home to roost - flood or not.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
My view:

That is enough to pass.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
19fifty4, follow your gut feel on this one. You're obviously uncomfortable with what you are seeing, and out of everybody here you're the only person actually able to see it and evaluate first hand. You'll regret a bad decision and there are plenty of other trucks out there to choose from that don't have any of these suspicious signs. No need to take such risks. My suggestion is to keep searching.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:04 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Thanks for the feedback. I walked away a couple of days ago because there was something that just didn't feel right. Probably overreacted but I have no regrets about still having my money. You guys were able to quantify the issues and I appreciate the validation.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The last flod damaged turck I got to work had no water/dirt line. got hooked in to the shop still had water in the mirror lamps.
You know how deep a truck has to be to not have a water line?
past the roof...... doooooooooooH

Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why take the risk? Thats what i would consider

Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If a vehicle was in a flood, but everything works, isn't the damage from the water then deemed to be of no consequence? In other words, if you're looking at a truck that runs great, everything works electronically, there is no odor or musty smell, and simple surface rust under the truck, then whatever damage there was should be considered "repaired", no? What could go wrong down the road with this truck other than it had a head start on some rust?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
If you're really worried about it being a flood vehicle, call your insurance company, tell them you're thinking of buying it and if they could run the VIN and let you know if it was a flood vehicle. If it's been reported for insurance purposes, they'll have the information, all these insurance companies are able to talk with each other through computers.

Quick Reply: Flood Truck - clues to look for