1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1999-2003 Powerstroke in 1994.5-1997 Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:09 PM
dylan8427
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999-2003 Powerstroke in 1994.5-1997 Truck?

Ok, I've got an early '99 Powerstroke motor, complete, with computer. It sat outside for 2 or 3 years in the weather though... it turns freely, and seems to have no water in it. I had to fix up the turbo, but its now in great shape. I'm trying to find a truck to put it in. My question is, would this engine bolt in place of a 1st gen Powerstroke motor in the older trucks, and use the computer out of the older trucks (and the rest of the wiring harness)?

I can't seem to find any 1999-2003 trucks with blown engines, nor do I think the computer will work after being outside in the weather. Some of the wiring may or may not work either. I do plan to pull the pan and valve covers to make sure no water is in it (and if so, clean it out) before putting the motor in.

In addition, how many parts will interchange? (like injectors, plugs, filters, sensors) Just in case this motor has some weak points... Or is there a way I can test all these parts?

If it maters, the engine was mated to a MANUAL tranny (I assume the computer is different). Still has the clutch attached.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sat outside? Was it completely uncovered the whole time?? The rust tells me it was just sitting outside in the open. That seems dumb to do to a ~$7k motor. I'd be pulling it apart, if I were you...

Old 05-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No kidding, that thing is BEGGING for some TLC, it wants you to take it apart, replace seals and ensure that it's not broke.
All that rust says HELP ME!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
The engine in my dually right now was in an OBS truck. Used my late-model intake plenums, VC gaskets and UVC harnesses and engine wire harness, sensors, etc. Don't see why ya couldn't go the other way if ya had all the OBS stuff...

If there was no water in it and it looks like it didn't leak oil before, I might be tempted to just RUN IT. I'd prolly go thru the injectors, change the GP's and fix the leaky up-pipes before I installed it though. Its prolly a good idea to soak the cylinder walls with Marvel Mystery Oil or similar in case there is a ring mark from condensation. Hell, if theres oil in it, do a UOA!!!

What 'seals' would you guys be replacing from sitting?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
dylan8427
Junior User
First, thanks for the replies

Yes, it sat outside, uncovered as far as I know... and in Sacramento. I'm not really worried about the engine, more the computers and wiring harness which sat with it. Hence why I need to know if the old computers in the 94-97 trucks will run this motor.

Since you guys were worried... I went ahead and pulled the driver's side valve cover and OMFG its like BRAND NEW!!!!!!!! LOL What oil is there is clean! I would pull the oil pan, but I don't have an engine stand... only crane, and that would be a pain in the A$$ lol.

Here are some pics, including the now almost-new-looking turbo. I could do the same thing to the flywheel and clutch as I did to the turbo.

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
The engine in my dually right now was in an OBS truck. Used my late-model intake plenums, VC gaskets and UVC harnesses and engine wire harness, sensors, etc. Don't see why ya couldn't go the other way if ya had all the OBS stuff...

If there was no water in it and it looks like it didn't leak oil before, I might be tempted to just RUN IT. I'd prolly go thru the injectors, change the GP's and fix the leaky up-pipes before I installed it though. Its prolly a good idea to soak the cylinder walls with Marvel Mystery Oil or similar in case there is a ring mark from condensation. Hell, if theres oil in it, do a UOA!!!

What 'seals' would you guys be replacing from sitting?
What does OBS mean? On Board Systems? How about UVC and UOA? lol

And I would run it... but how? All that computer junk has to be hooked up right and then actually work... It does have almost the entire wiring harness with it, but still. Remember I don't have a truck for it...

Old 05-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Just a heads up man. That is an Early 99 engine which isn't an issue, but you will need to know that because the injectors, turbo, spider, plenums, pedestal, and up-pipes are different from late 99-03.

OBS = Old Body Style Powerstroke
UVC = Under Valve Cover

Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
dylan8427
Junior User
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Just a heads up man. That is an Early 99 engine which isn't an issue, but you will need to know that because the injectors, turbo, spider, plenums, pedestal, and up-pipes are different from late 99-03.

UVC = Under Valve Cover
oooohhhhhhh Thanks for the Acronyms!

As for the other stuff, I was aware the Turbo, wheels, plenums & pedestal were different, but not the rest. As far as I know the plenums are smaller, the pedestal is bigger (or was it smaller?), and the turbo was 'too loud' (I like it that way anyway haha). What's different about the injectors? Will those injectors work with the newer (or older) computers... and the rest of the wiring harness, excluding the UVC harness? How about the rest of the computer sensors on the motor?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Here's a link since you're in Reno its a surplus auction company, mainly government surplus. lots of new and old body style trucks. TNT Auction may be worth a try.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru

UVC = Under Valve Cover
How bout the computer Clay. E99 and '99.5 later are they compatible or do they need to be swapped if he goes to a 99.5 later?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 60RatRod
How bout the computer Clay. E99 and '99.5 later are they compatible or do they need to be swapped if he goes to a 99.5 later?
Depends on how is is doing it. If he is just putting the SD engine then I would use the OBS wiring and PCM and just update the engine stuff. But it really depends on what he intends on keeping and not keeping.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
under that valve cover is GORGEOUS! Nice, very nice. Well while you have it out do some painting and cleaning then!
Did you get an IDM with it?

Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM
dylan8427
Junior User
Originally Posted by Visseroth
under that valve cover is GORGEOUS! Nice, very nice. Well while you have it out do some painting and cleaning then!
Did you get an IDM with it?
This should answer your question... and thanks! Not bad for $360 eh? (traded a lift kit I was selling for $300, and cost me $60 in diesel to pick it up - 300mi @ 17.5mpg )

Ok.. I did a little research. The AB injectors flow less than the AD, but I think more than the AA... The IDM is also different, using 110 VAC instead of 220 VAC in the 99.5+. I do not know about the OBS IDM. The E99 IDM has issues melting the wiring because of higher amperage thanks to less voltage. The E99 and L99 IDMs can be directly exchanged out it seems (but I'm not sure). It doesn't matter much because the chances of my IDM working are slim to none - not only did it sit outside, it is dented.

It seems there is nothing wrong with the AB injectors or E99 turbo except that you don't get as much power. I have a suspicion that you only get less power because of the smaller intake plenums though, and not the turbo, which has a 'better' wheel.

The HPOP is also different from both the OBS and the L99. It flows MORE than the OBS, but LESS than the L99. It would drive AD injectors, but not up to full potential. I'm assuming it would drive AAs perfect. The OBS HPOP won't run AB or AD injectors.

So, if I put this in a OBS PS truck, would the OBS IDM work with the split-shot AB injectors (which work the same as AD)? Or would I have to switch the injectors out for the older single-shot AA? The idea is to do this for little-no $$ (although eventually, it will be heavily upgraded haha)

I believe it's good to go if I can find a L99+ truck. Like I said though, all I can find is OBS trucks, and I still don't know if either the computer, IDM or rest of the harness will work this motor.

Last edited by dylan8427; 05-29-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 05-29-2010, 08:04 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Depends on how is is doing it. If he is just putting the SD engine then I would use the OBS wiring and PCM and just update the engine stuff. But it really depends on what he intends on keeping and not keeping.
I Guess my question is, Say if he were to find a 2000 F250 an OBD2 truck and he has an E99 motor, will an E99 motor work with the computer that is in the year 99.5 or later trucks?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dylan8427
This should answer your question... and thanks! Not bad for $360 eh? (traded a lift kit I was selling for $300, and cost me $60 in diesel to pick it up - 300mi @ 17.5mpg )

Ok.. I did a little research. The AB injectors flow less than the AD, but I think more than the AA... The IDM is also different, using 110 VAC instead of 220 VAC in the 99.5+. I do not know about the OBS IDM. The E99 IDM has issues melting the wiring because of higher amperage thanks to less voltage. The E99 and L99 IDMs can be directly exchanged out it seems (but I'm not sure). It doesn't matter much because the chances of my IDM working are slim to none - not only did it sit outside, it is dented.

It seems there is nothing wrong with the AB injectors or E99 turbo except that you don't get as much power. I have a suspicion that you only get less power because of the smaller intake plenums though, and not the turbo, which has a 'better' wheel.

The HPOP is also different from both the OBS and the L99. It flows MORE than the OBS, but LESS than the L99. It would drive AD injectors, but not up to full potential. I'm assuming it would drive AAs perfect. The OBS HPOP won't run AB or AD injectors.

So, if I put this in a OBS PS truck, would the OBS IDM work with the split-shot AB injectors (which work the same as AD)? Or would I have to switch the injectors out for the older single-shot AA? The idea is to do this for little-no $$ (although eventually, it will be heavily upgraded haha)

I believe it's good to go if I can find a L99+ truck. Like I said though, all I can find is OBS trucks, and I still don't know if either the computer, IDM or rest of the harness will work this motor.
Correction, 110v vs 120v

I don't see why it wouldn't work and if the PCM is programmed to run with the type of trannie that you have then it should be fine.
In regards to the injectors, I don't think it matters what injectors you have, the IDM should run any of them and as long as it has a 17* HPOP or better then you should be fine. I know I need to upgrade my pump (as far as I know) because if the E99 having a 15* instead of a 17*.

If nothing else you could get a hold of swaps and see if they would swap the IDM core out and get you a modded 140v IDM.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 60RatRod
I Guess my question is, Say if he were to find a 2000 F250 an OBD2 truck and he has an E99 motor, will an E99 motor work with the computer that is in the year 99.5 or later trucks?
Please, correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, yes, as long as the PCM is programmed for the trannie that it is running. IE, a programmed PCM for stick or auto.

Quick Reply: 1999-2003 Powerstroke in 1994.5-1997 Truck?