1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

'98 2.5/auto anti-theft starting issue

Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 2.5/auto anti-theft starting issue

Today I was driving my '98 Ranger when my engine started to bog and try stalling. At the same time all of my lights (dash, markers, headlight/taillights) were flashing on and off. It died but with I tried starting it it wouldn't. At this point now the alarm is going off siren and all. Swapped a different battery that I know is good into the truck and same issue. Turn the key and no crank alarm still going off. Tried turning the key in the doors to somehow shut off this anti-theft but no luck. Do I need this thing towed to be reflashed or is there some sort way to bypass this anti-theft B.S. or flash it on the side of the road? And what would cause all of this in the first place, alternator? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Forgot to mention it has a straightcut key without a chip or keyfob.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
I also do not have an owners manual to see how to disarm the alarm if that info was even in there. Is this supposed to be part of the PATS system and I only have some sort of valet key? The key does say ford on it.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
smalltrucker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your year and size of motor does not have the PAT's in it. Even up to '01' the 4 cyl had no PAT's. All I can guess is you have an after market anti-theif unit installed. Even none of the '05's have PAT's. Hope you find the problem.
Dave

Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
If this is in case an aftermarket system, what would it be hooked up to to immobilize the truck? And how do you shut it off?

Old 03-14-2011, 02:01 AM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
According to the wiring diagrams I have, there is a Remote Anti-theft Personality module. The only components it shows going to the module are a starter interrupt relay and the park lamp relay. There has to be more going to this module. Theres not even a horn in the diagram I have (Haynes). Can I find this module and bypass everything that goes to it somehow?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:50 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
You need to find the brand of aftermarket alarm on your truck. The electronic box should be up under the dash. Once you get brand /model of alarm you can check the website for that brand or better yet try the 12 volt install bay. You can register and post your question there. Some technicians that work on alarms give feedback with solutions to problems that they deal with every day.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM
smalltrucker
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RhondaBruce
According to the wiring diagrams I have, there is a Remote Anti-theft Personality module. The only components it shows going to the module are a starter interrupt relay and the park lamp relay. There has to be more going to this module. Theres not even a horn in the diagram I have (Haynes). Can I find this module and bypass everything that goes to it somehow?
Thanks to you for naming what that module is, was able to find four pages of it in the Ford shop wiring diagram. Shows connections to the doors, hood, ignition switch, horn, starting system and more. Can scan them in if you still need them, not sure how big they will show up if I PM them.
Dave`

Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
RhondaBruce
Junior User
Originally Posted by smalltrucker
Thanks to you for naming what that module is, was able to find four pages of it in the Ford shop wiring diagram. Shows connections to the doors, hood, ignition switch, horn, starting system and more. Can scan them in if you still need them, not sure how big they will show up if I PM them.
Dave`
Any help would work. I made a sketch of 2 different RAP modules from a '96 explorer (c338 and c336, both black). That was the only info I could find on this module but still dont know what would have triggered it or how to reset it.