Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Idea to Share: Grill Insert Paint Technique

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the compliments everybody and even more thanks to the idea HIO shared. I just got done with the other side, should be ready to go in the mornin.

I have to say after doin this, no more just black grilles for me. The all black looks nice don't get me wrong but compared to a silver and black one, hands down the silver and black brings on the sexyness. The grille in my 79 Bronco is all black, im gonna try this great little trick on it.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like this! I miss my 74. The 78 I just bought is nice (still a dentside) but I like the older grills better, and this idea really makes them look nice.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
okay, so I have spent the last couple of days working on this and finally have the grill painted and installed, and I figured "What the heck, might as well paint the bumper too".

I hope you like the final result. I do. Thanks for the inspiration.

Before:

After:

Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!!! I can't believe the differance

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing
okay, so I have spent the last couple of days working on this and finally have the grill painted and installed, and I figured "What the heck, might as well paint the bumper too".

I hope you like the final result. I do. Thanks for the inspiration.

Before:

After:
That thing looks great. A few little changes make a huge difference.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Wow. Excellent work! As 79FordBlake said, "it brings back its sexyness". LOL! I review architectural plans and believe good design doesn't have to cost alot of money. What did it run? One can of silver, one can of black, maybe $7 for the tape and a few hours.

Here's my next goal and maybe you can help. I'd like to replace the F-O-R-D letters in the upper slot to read F-1-0-0... but I haven't been able to find a good "1" to use. I figure the O can substitute for a zero. Yall F150s and F250s will have it a little tougher. Does anyone know of a "1" emblem that would look proportional?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this with mine a couple years ago, except with the green main color. I didn't mask and paint. I painted all green, then striped in the silver on the leading edge over the green. It turned out pretty good.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
cartmanstwin
New User
I used this same technique on my headlight buckets on my '78 F-150, and '79 Bronco. However, I just bought a '75 Highboy that instead of paiting the grille, I'm going to get some stainless and make my ow polished grills for it.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM
jb10
Senior User
i'm not a fan of the all black grills at all. even tho i painted mine that way a few weeks ago.
yours looks great!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Shameless BUMP!!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Poison Oil Racing
Posting Guru
lol. Did you ever find the 1 for the F100 lettering?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing
lol. Did you ever find the 1 for the F100 lettering?
Not yet... I have kept it in my head and thinking of the emblem from a E150 van or, maybe a better option, is using the characters from newer RAM 1500 trucks. Whaddya think?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Canty
Senior User
HOLY CRAP! HIO Silver...have you been listening to my convos lately? I was just talking to 2 of my buddies this past weekend. Gonna do the same thing you did except just the ring around the light and in inside bars. Gonna see how that looks if it doesnt look right I will do exactly what you did. Good job on the paint too. Thanks for posting the pics.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Thunderbird7480
Senior User
Since you shamelessly bumped it...

Anyone tried silver with black stripes as mentioned way back when?

Im doing my truck in satin (not flat, yes they are different) black and I was planning to just black the grill inserts out, thinking I may experiment now. I like the silver, but wondering how red would look? probably would look great if I were blacking out the shell too, but would probably look weird against the bling.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Canty
HOLY CRAP! HIO Silver...have you been listening to my convos lately? I was just talking to 2 of my buddies this past weekend. Gonna do the same thing you did except just the ring around the light and in inside bars. Gonna see how that looks if it doesnt look right I will do exactly what you did. Good job on the paint too. Thanks for posting the pics.
Well I must be psycho!! Erra... I mean, psychic!! Seriously, sometimes we stare at the rig and brainstorm... right? C'mon, ya know ya do it... Ya ever wonder sometimes if yerneighbors think yer a kook just standing there with, probably, a blank stare on yer face? They probably just don't get "It" like we do.

Thanks from me to everyone who have shared their grill jobs.

Originally Posted by Thunderbird7480
Since you shamelessly bumped it...

Anyone tried silver with black stripes as mentioned way back when?

Im doing my truck in satin (not flat, yes they are different) black and I was planning to just black the grill inserts out, thinking I may experiment now. I like the silver, but wondering how red would look? probably would look great if I were blacking out the shell too, but would probably look weird against the bling.
Haven't seen anyone doing the argent returns with black leading edges but that's an interesting idea. I'll Photoshop a pic to see what it looks like. Red? Sure. I'll whip up one of those too... hang on and I'll show ya.

Quick Reply: Idea to Share: Grill Insert Paint Technique