General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Take care of the elderly

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Icefan71
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take care of the elderly

My grandfather in Puerto Rico recently died. I never really got to know him. I was only there once in my life. And he only came here to the States a couple of times. Even though I didn't spend much time with him, he spoke of me and my brothers alot. He always said he wanted to leave us everything after he died. Unfortunately he did not leave a will. And I've learned that 3 different people were taking advantage of him. They took thousands of dollars from him and one of them is living in his house. When he died, I was urged to fly down there by his sisters who I never met. They were vey nice to my family and I and it made me sad to know that I had relatives that I never knew. They took me to his house and helped go thru all his stuff. We found past bank statements and found that 2 women who said they were "helping him" actually helped themselves to around $25k of his savings. Money that he worked his whole life for. They convinced him to open joint accounts with them, so there is nothing I can do to them. While he was dying in the hospital, one of them made a large withdrawal form his bank to pay for the funeral expenses. Much more than what the funeral cost. The remaining money is frozen until my brothers and I claim his estate. But even then, since its a joint account we are only entitled to half. They will get the other half. Then there is the other house he owned. Another man who said he was "helping him" lives in that house and never payed my grandfather any rent. He is still there and we can't just throw him out. We have to do it legally and that could take months. We are looking for a lawyer right now and we'll see where we can go from there. At this point I feel pretty guilty for not being there for him. I didnt know this was going on and it makes me so mad to know that people can be so heartless. He was 95 when he died. His sisters are in their late 80's and early 90's. They werent able to look after him. I only saw him a handful of times in my life and I spoke to him on the phone only a couple of times a year. I should have called him alot more than that. For those of you out there with elderly parents, grandparents, or loved ones, please look out for them and don't forget them. They may not say it, but they probably need your help or maybe just your attention. Don't let them be taken advantage of. You dont want to feel like I do right now.