The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star - Page 11 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Modular V10 (6.8l)  

View Poll Results: How was your experience with your 5-star tunes?
GREAT - best thing I ever did! 101 90.99%
OK - not as much as an improvement as I thought 10 9.01%
Had a problem - but it was taken care of quickly 0 0%
Had a problem - not happy how it turned out 3 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star

Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior User

jspringator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For some reason. my 87 performance tune has a little better highway fuel economy than my 87 economy tune. I was very surprised. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Senior User

IslandBlueV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My recent experience. Long, but it wasn't all good at first.

I finally broke down and ordered a SCT X4 from 5 star. They were very friendly and got my order fast. I got my tunes and downloaded them. But I did not install on my truck for a few weeks. I got a call from my company wanting me to go to South Dakota for a couple months. I would be towing my RV(28' travel trailer, 8500gvw). I had 2 days to get ready and go. I went to install my new tune.

The X4 downloaded my stock tune but when it went to upload the custom tune I got an error code. It then said to return my truck back to stock. The tuner would not return my truck to stock. I then was not able to start my truck.

I called 5 Star and talked to one of their tech's. He said they have seen this a couple of times. In the end he was not able to fix my problem. He did give me the number to SCT in Florida. Due to the time difference from Idaho I just barely got a hold of a Tech. After about an hour on the phone we were not able to fix it. He wanted me to ship my X4 to them and they would try and fix it. I told them I am leaving for a job on Saturday(this was Thursday), he then tried to download my stock tune off the X4 remotely through my computer with the X4 plugged in. He was successful.

He then had to actually call a employee to come back to work after hours to download my stock tune onto a different older tuner. Then that employee rushed it to FedEx and overnighted it from Florida. I received the tuner around 3:00pm the next day. I then called him back he was able to walk me through the process and was finally able to reload my stock tune and got my truck running. I was able to leave on time for my trip.

I was not charged anything for the shipping. I then shipped their tuner and my tuner back to them. They had my tuner for almost 5 weeks before I tried to get a hold of them to find out what was happening with my X4 tuner. Finally after several days of communicating with them they determined my tuner was bad from the start and promptly sent out another brand new tuner. I then had to have my Mom ship it to me in South Dakota when it arrived at my house in Idaho.

I then contacted 5 Star to get my tunes for the new tuner. They was very good about that. But tell you what, was I nervous about trying to use it the first time. Here I am with only one vehicle that I needed for work. I finally tried it. I installed the 89 octane performance tune. I must say it really woke my truck up.

I just returned from South Dakota returning the same route as I went. When I went I had no tune. Then coming home I used the 89 octane tow tune. I noticed a huge improvement in my pulling power pulling my 28' 8500gvw trailer up and down the mountain passes. But I had anywhere between a .5 to 1.5mpg loss in fuel mileage using the tune. When I have some time next week I am going to talk to 5 Star and see about modifying my tunes a little.

So from having a bad experience with my tuner. I did have a good experience with 5 Star and with SCT and their tech's. They went far and beyond expectations in trying to get me on the road. I would recommend them to anyone. They have a company with great customer support.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Legendary Creature

Drunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
For some reason. my 87 performance tune has a little better highway fuel economy than my 87 economy tune. I was very surprised. Anyone else experienced this?
I noticed I got much better fuel economy in town driving with my 91 octane performance tune over my 91 econ tune. How much of your driving is highway and how much is in town?
Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Senior User

jspringator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Suburban driving while on vacation. Some in town and some highway; no interstate. I think I'm going to leave the 97 performance in all the time when not towing.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 PM
Senior User

AllAboutDaZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered mine, great service...., I will report once installed
Old 11-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Freshman User

frdbronco8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone hear of a potential black Friday sale? I want to pull the trigger on an x4 with tunes but I wont be towing much this winter. If there is a sale coming up though I will jump on it.