The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star - Page 10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Modular V10 (6.8l)  

View Poll Results: How was your experience with your 5-star tunes?
GREAT - best thing I ever did! 100 90.91%
OK - not as much as an improvement as I thought 10 9.09%
Had a problem - but it was taken care of quickly 0 0%
Had a problem - not happy how it turned out 3 2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star

Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Elder User

Vwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrice View Post
Maybe all on this thread had great customer service results ... like several years ago, but it is not so good now. I called 8 days ago to ask some really basic questions and was asked to leave my number. I did not get a call. I called two days ago to purchase a new SCT and tunes and again was asked to leave my number. No call back! They just don't want my money or business. That was my experience just the past two weeks.
I think something glitched on their end. My experience with them from a few months ago was outstanding. After they sent me the 3 tunes I asked for (which came quickly) they worked with me to tweak them until it was how I wanted (I had some slight pinging and I wanted OD to stay locked longer).

On another "I like Mike" note, my last time towing (only about 50 miles 1 way) I forgot to load the 91 Tow tune and had the 87 Econ tune loaded. Not only does it tow very different with the 2 tunes I noticed my trans temp was about 20 degrees cooler coming back with the correct tune. The return trip, even though the same route with similar ambient temp, backwards had a little more uphill. Trans cooler uphill, don't know how but I give the credit to 5 Star
Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Senior User

4x4pwr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Received my tunes yesterday. All I can say is WOW.

That 87 tow tune is awesome! Coming from a completely stock pickup to this tune... IMPRESSIVE. Watch out for that WOT 1-2shift! . This tune is hard to stay out of the throttle.

The 87 performance tune is no where near as aggressive on the shift points as the tow tune. Makes the truck feel like it went on a diet. She is no race car, but gets rolling much quicker. This is going to be my daily tune to save on fuel.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Senior User

jspringator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I like the 87 performance too. I have that as my everyday tune now, but I'll probably switch to my 87 economy pretty soon.

I'm going to try towing with the 93 performance tune. Still cheaper than diesel! The tow tunes hold lower gear too long for my taste.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
World Famous Mod

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
I like the 87 performance too. I have that as my everyday tune now, but I'll probably switch to my 87 economy pretty soon.

I'm going to try towing with the 93 performance tune. Still cheaper than diesel! The tow tunes hold lower gear too long for my taste.

I tow heavy, 11k TT and have found the same thing, tow tunes don't match up with my driving style, might do better with the guys trying to be the first to the top of the mountain. The 87 & 89 Performance tunes however are an awesome match to how I tow, they will hold onto OD much longer and at higher throttle positions. With my other mods my V-10 is still making enough power to carry OD under high loads and staying OD more really helps the towing MPGs.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Legendary Creature

Drunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant futureDrunken_Unicorn has a brilliant future
I finally got mine! It was shipped fast, and once I got him my Strategy code, I got an e-mail with the tunes in it a couple of hours later. Super fast.

I started with the 87 econ tune and noticed a drastic change in how it shifted. Anyway, long story short, this is awesome, I should have done sooner.

I'm going to have a nice little trip coming up next week, we'll see how it does.

Thanks Mike!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Freshman User

jonmorgan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just bought the livewire...

Love this tune they built. Runs amazing and the shift pints are great. Had an issue with reading guages and nick/chris helped me but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the program they sent from my laptop to the livewire then onto the truck. Can anyone help?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 AM
Posting Guru

Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you have the truck tuned return it to stock before you plug the sct in to your computer very important. This video should help its from innovative diesel but putting the tunes on the sct is the same for any tune writer you use.
once the tune is on the sct plug it in to the truck and select load a custom tune then select the tune you want to load.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Junior User

Kalabin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kalabin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So, ordered the tuner and it was delivered on July 4th. Filled out their vehicle sheet when I ordered it, tuner came with a sheet asking for the strategy and e-mailed them that yesterday.

I am curious if you guys know the rough turn around from when you e-mailed him the strategy on how long it takes? I would call them, just want to make sure Mike has everything he needs but their website is down. Also realize they are coming from the holiday weekend so it will take some time.

Just dont want to wait 4-5 days to get an e-mail saying they need more info is all.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I've gotten revised tunes within a day or two, but not sure how it worked out from the initial get-go - be sure to report
Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Junior User

Kalabin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kalabin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
These guys rock,

Was able to get their number from my brother and spoke with Chris, great information and helped me finalize my tunes. 15 minutes later Rebecca called and confirmed I received my tunes. With the holiday weekend I was expecting it to take a couple of days.

Now tonight I get to run home and test it out tonight! Yay, went with the 87 perf, 87 tow, 89 tow tunes.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Elder User

Vwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to beholdVwags is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalabin View Post
So, ordered the tuner and it was delivered on July 4th. Filled out their vehicle sheet when I ordered it, tuner came with a sheet asking for the strategy and e-mailed them that yesterday.

I am curious if you guys know the rough turn around from when you e-mailed him the strategy on how long it takes? I would call them, just want to make sure Mike has everything he needs but their website is down. Also realize they are coming from the holiday weekend so it will take some time.

Just dont want to wait 4-5 days to get an e-mail saying they need more info is all.
Quote:
These guys rock,

Was able to get their number from my brother and spoke with Chris, great information and helped me finalize my tunes. 15 minutes later Rebecca called and confirmed I received my tunes. With the holiday weekend I was expecting it to take a couple of days.

Now tonight I get to run home and test it out tonight! Yay, went with the 87 perf, 87 tow, 89 tow tunes.
I was going to tell you that the turn around time for me was very quick but you already found that out. These guys are great. Good job again 5 Star
Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Junior User

Review!

So loaded up the 87 Performance tune and took it for a quick run on the highway. The biggest improvement which everyone says is the shift points and throttle response. I notice a little improvement on the bottom end power wise, but absolutely love the way the transmission shifts now and holds in its power band.

I'm wondering how much I would notice with headers / Y-Pipe replaced and the tune configured for that. Either way drive ability is excellent compared to stock, amazed at the shift difference.

Once I get some time to drive the X i'll post up some mileage comparisons. Right now I may drive the truck one day a week at most but on highway runs I have never been able to break 12.5mpg @ 65.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 AM
Posting Guru

twigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to beholdtwigsV10 is a splendid one to behold
I just read all ten Pages of this thread and have been impressed by the positive replies but didn't see very many 3V V10 responses but impressed by the positive feedback.
I have a 06 F350 that pulls like a mule but hate the dead slow skinny pedal unloaded... Is there a tune that can go from short 1 mile trips to towing 30k gross weight multiple times in the same day without changing tunes? I only really pull that heavy 10% of the time but don't want to worry about needing to change a tune as random people drive my truck (mostly Dad and he won't mess with a tune change) pulling very heavy.
I'm not looking for more MPG or really for more power although more is always better but hate the dead skinny pedal....
Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Posting Guru

Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The dead pedal effect will be gone with any of the tunes the short trips won't be a problem for any of the tunes. You can also tow with any of the tunes there is a performance/tow tune you'd probably like I think it's kinda the best from the performance tune and the tow tune in 1. Id just get a couple and try them and see what works best for you. You get some tunes free if you buy the sct from them.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Senior User

CPaulsen is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
These guys rock,

Same tunes I a got a few years ago......yu will be happy with them!