2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

pictures with aftermarket rims?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
bswanzek
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pictures with aftermarket rims?

We have a 2007 EL Limited 4x4 that is black with the factory 20" rims. The "chrome" on the cladding is peeling in several places and looks like garbage. I want to replace these wheels with aftermarkets, preferably all black. Ultra Gauntlet to be specific.

But my wife doesn't seem to like the all black wheels. She thinks they look like something from a hot wheels car.

Does anyone here have a picture with all black rims on their Expedition? I've searched but haven't been able to come up with much.

Thanks,

Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
gddyup
Senior User
I didn't want all black myself either. I think all black on black looks kinda weird. I've seen some decent ones, but they don't "pop" for me. I went with a black and chrome look that came out quite nice.

Those wheels are from Black Rhino. I picked them up online at Discount Tire. Tires are the Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
bswanzek
Freshman User
Thanks gddyup,

If you don't mind, I have a couple of TPMS questions. I know that the factory bands have to be cut, so I'll need new bands. But how about the mounting cradle part? Is it glued or taped onto the factory wheel? Or are they held in place by the bands?

Thanks again for the picture.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Wookie50
Freshman User
Supercharged 07 on black 24's

First set of black wheels had a chrome lip, bent a wheel during tuning, liked these better.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
bswanzek
Freshman User
Thanks for the pictures. I just ordered Fuel Offroad Boost in 20x9. I'll post some pictures when they are on.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
gddyup
Senior User
Originally Posted by bswanzek
Thanks gddyup,

If you don't mind, I have a couple of TPMS questions. I know that the factory bands have to be cut, so I'll need new bands. But how about the mounting cradle part? Is it glued or taped onto the factory wheel? Or are they held in place by the bands?

Thanks again for the picture.
Both actually. The cradles have ultra 3m type sticky tape on the back and the sensor band goes through a set of ears on each side of the cradle. However, the replacement bands that I got with my wheel set would not fit through the ears on the cradle itself. The replacement bands were too wide. What I ended up doing us replacing the sticky tape and then running the bands over the sensor itself. You just have to be careful that you don't make the bands so tight that the sensor breaks. I also marked the inside of the wheel where the sensor was placed so it went back in roughly the same position. Other than that, no issues.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
bswanzek
Freshman User

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=72325

Finally got the new wheels on. Please excuse the bad pictures, I'm not much of a photographer. Still have to get the TPMS to work though.

I bought a cradle and band kit on ebay to swap the stock banded sensors to the new wheels. Dropped it off at the tire shop one morning. Went to get it in the afternoon and everything seemed good. A day later the wheels started shaking like they were out of balance. Take it back to the tire shop. Turns out they mounted the sensor in the middle on the sloped part of the inside of the rim. Tire shop said the holes for the valve stems are in the flat/barrel part where the sensor/bands would normally be mounted so the band would be cutting into the inside part of the valve stem is why they mounted them like they did. But that obviously didn't work out as the bands had slipped and the sensors were sliding around throwing off the balance.

We had them remove the band/cradle/sensor for now. I ordered a set of aftermarket orange sensors from tpmswholesalers.com that attach to the valve stem. Found them by searching the site. They seemed to work for a couple of guys on here (Blacknav, Harley Guy) I am still a little concerned about the location/angle of the valve stem holes though. I don't know if there will be enough angle for the back of the sensors to rest on the inside of the wheel. I found some adapters at tpmssolution.com that I may have to use if the sensors stick out/up too far. Hopefully I can get it taken care of soon, I really don't like driving around with the warning light on.