Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Old 05-29-2010, 01:09 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
LOL, I think Robin was being sarcastic because of the very reasons you listed, knowing well water would be a lot worse.

Thanks for the reps too!

Stewart
Old 05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Since a lot of times forum searches for radiator flush threads are done because someone is planning on replacing their water pump, I thought it would be a good idea to post Maintain's often searched for YouTube vid for water pump R&R.

YouTube - Water Pump RnR

Stewart
Old 05-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior User

thordehr has a good reputation on FTE.thordehr has a good reputation on FTE.
I love all of Gooch's info on Coolants but I haven't been able to find coolant anywhere with those specs. My engine is a Jan 99 build with serial number 925015, so it certainly falls in the category he mentions and I will quote below.
Looks like I need some SCA additives if I'm going to use a D4985 coolant, or need to find D6210 coolant that is pre-charged. I can't seem to find either SCA additives or D6210 Coolant anywhere. Ideas? If I do end up needing SCA additives, it's 3-4 pints that should be added? That's almost half a gallon? Or is it done via test? Where do I find a test kit, or test strips?
Thanks.

((QUOTE:
Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build
engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the
addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged
with SCA). Most conventional coolants will be green, "low-silicate"
and meet ASTM D4985. There are too many brands to list. They will
require the addition of a supplemental coolant additive (SCA) at
initial fill and maintenance of that SCA thereafter. Most pre-charged
conventional coolants will be pink, purple, or blue and meet ASTM
D6210. These coolants do not require an initial dose of SCA, but will
require SCA maintenance thereafter. These are coolants like Peak Fleet
Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty, Zerex Precharge, Shell Diesel Ready,
Fleetguard Fleetcool, Fleetrite Fully Formulated, and so on. 4
gallons

*Tip* Do not use "All Makes - All Models" coolants, or "Universal"
coolants. They will not meet the needs of your diesel engine.
SCA (if using conventional non-charged coolant). Amount depends on the
SCA maker (usually 3-4 pints).

*Tip* Either a Nitrite only DCA-2 SCA or a Molybdate/Nitrite DCA-4 SCA
will work.))
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Posting Guru

HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quick question. Just did mine today but I use Final Charge Globel by Peak (red stuff). I didn't see that on the list of recomended fluid. Am I good to go?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Senior User

thordehr has a good reputation on FTE.thordehr has a good reputation on FTE.
I finally found this and am going to use it when my order comes in on Wed.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
Old 05-30-2010, 03:25 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH60FE View Post
Quick question. Just did mine today but I use Final Charge Globel by Peak (red stuff). I didn't see that on the list of recomended fluid. Am I good to go?
Thanks in advance
Yep, you're good to go. There are a few FTE'rs who are using Final Charge.

"Final Charge Global Coolant/Antifreeze"

"FINAL CHARGE Global Extended Life Coolant features a patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula that delivers total cooling system protection for 600,000 miles of on-road use (6 years of 12,000 hours or off-highway use) without the use of Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs). The only maintenance required is the addition of FINAL CHARGE Extender at 300,000 to 400,000 miles of on-road use (3 years or 6,000 hours of off-highway use). When required, you should also top-off the cooling system with FINAL CHARGE or FINAL CHARGE 50/50 Pre-diluted Global Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze.
FINAL CHARGE is a phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free and borate-free globally formulated coolant which uses proprietary organic corrosion inhibitors to provide superior wet sleeve liner cavitation and corrosion protection of all cooling system metals."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thordehr View Post
I finally found this and am going to use it when my order comes in on Wed.

Store Locator | NAPA Online
Looks like you'll be right as rain with that coolant for your E99.

Stewart
Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Posting Guru

HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.HH60FE has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks, Stewert, you da man. Another example why FTE rocks.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Senior User

van_350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.van_350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If the Cooling System holds about 8 Gallons of Fluid (Approxx)

Would 20-24 Gallons of Distilled Water be enough to Do the Job?

And the Prestone "Tee" that has a Garden Hose Fitting on it for the back-flush
would rigging a One Gallon plastic water bottle as a funnel to pour Distilled water
into during the Back-flush process work good? Or would it be better to put 4 gallons of distilled water in a 5 gallon spring water bottle hooked-up to the Back-flush "Tee" be better?

We don't want to put any tap water in the truck, and we want to make a good rig that works well.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
The Nekkid Super Mod

I used just under 20 gallons of distilled water to flush out the tap water when I did my Excursion a few years ago, as well as when I backflushed my F250 last week..

Why don't you want to use tap water? It's just my opinion, but you really need to use tap water to backflush your block properly, because you need to run your engine with the garden hose on, flushing until the water is clear. Once it's clear, you remove the flushing T, pull the block plugs to drain the block again, then flush the tap water out with the distilled water.

If you don't use tap water to backflush first, you'll use a lot more than 20 gallons of distilled water, in order to flush it properly.

Stewart
Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior User

van_350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.van_350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stewart,

Your right, It's the only way to get good pressure in the system for the back flush.
All the Tap water should get forced out when the 20 gallons of Distilled water is in there.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Posting Guru

bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just as an FYI....for pricing....

i am doing this procedure tomorrow and picked up the Prestone Heavy Duty ELC for $15.50 a gallon and an extra Baldwin B5134 coolant filter for $7.00

gotta go buy the distilled water and i'm ready to go...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Junior User

viking89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Just as an FYI....for pricing....

i am doing this procedure tomorrow and picked up the Prestone Heavy Duty ELC for $15.50 a gallon and an extra Baldwin B5134 coolant filter for $7.00

gotta go buy the distilled water and i'm ready to go...
Where did you find the ELC at? I've checked all my local auto stores and Wal-Mart and haven't found any.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Posting Guru

bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking89 View Post
Where did you find the ELC at? I've checked all my local auto stores and Wal-Mart and haven't found any.

a local heavy equipment parts store Covington Heavy Duty.

I think i have seen the Zerex brand of heavy duty elc at our autozone.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior User

gabeyd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does anyone replace the overflow hose outlet part #F81Z8075AA, and does anyone replace the reservoir just because the plastic is getting old? I'm doing the coolant flush next weekend and want to replace anything that might need to be replaced in the next 5 or so years.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
Yes. And yes. I've replaced both on mine. It's the best time to do it too!