Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information - Page 28 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Old 01-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford View Post
It is exactly that! Cat ELC exceeds the performance of other ELC’s.
If you grade performance based on miles and longevity, then I respectfully point out that Chevron Delo Heavy Duty ELC has better numbers than the CAT labeled brand.

Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
so i think from the education of sca vs elc im going to go with the blue sca additive rotella on our 2000 7.3 excursion. thank you guys.
Skip, read the first page of this thread where I post all the coolant info. Just read that and you'll see the best coolant for your 2000 7.3L is a Heavy Duty OAT based ELC. Don't use a coolant that needs SCA's.

Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Most of the injector cup threads pop up after someone changed to ELC and doesn't matter if its an E99 or 03. So if you take the plunge into ELC make sure you start preparing with injector cups and 620 LocTite and injector cup removal tool. Just my worthless .02
When the manufacturer of the engine say's a HD OAT ELC is the correct and best coolant to run in the 7.3L PSD, then you can chalk up what you've read and experienced as a problem caused by something else, in my opinion.

All my 7.3's run Chevron HD OAT ELC, and the Excursion has had it since '04 or '05. In fact, I've had to flush the ELC already because of the 10 year limitation, and refill with fresh ELC.

Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
man the elc sounds like the devils brew! i dont need no extra leaks, im not gonna risk it.
There's no risk, Skip.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2018, 01:20 AM
truck7575
Elder User
truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have 30k on my reman 7.3 that I replaced at 318k miles an I have a cracked injectior cup.. I run delo ELC.. My mechanic says to get the delo out asap as it's not good for my engine and may have caused my cup issue... Based on my reading here I feel he may be misinformed... He recommended zerex what is the absolute best coolant to use after I flush my system? Also should I use simple green or so mythology clean the diesel out of my coolant system?

Rick

Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
I put Zerex in when I bought my truck just over 10 years ago. Switched to Delo ELC about 2 years after that and have been running it since with no issues. I'm doing injector work right now (o-rings) at 305K and had no signs of cup issues. When I got the sticks out I had one cracked cup and some unusual pooling so decided to replace all 8 since I was in there already. I don't attribute that to my coolant though. They are brass and have been through 15+ years and 305K miles of heat cycling and vibration. IMHO I got my money's worth out of a $15 brass cup that mates to a dissimilar metal and helps separate 3 fluids at different temperatures and pressures.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:11 PM
truck7575
Elder User
truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I put Zerex in when I bought my truck just over 10 years ago. Switched to Delo ELC about 2 years after that and have been running it since with no issues. I'm doing injector work right now (o-rings) at 305K and had no signs of cup issues. When I got the sticks out I had one cracked cup and some unusual pooling so decided to replace all 8 since I was in there already. I don't attribute that to my coolant though. They are brass and have been through 15+ years and 305K miles of heat cycling and vibration. IMHO I got my money's worth out of a $15 brass cup that mates to a dissimilar metal and helps separate 3 fluids at different temperatures and pressures.
I wonder if jasper installed new cups when they remanufactured the engine? I just can't see why after only 30k miles a cup would crack..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:08 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
im gonna do my orings this summer but really dont wanna do any cups yet. 270k on everything now

Old 06-28-2018, 01:52 PM
SteveH-CO
Posting Guru
SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
Walmart is about giving this away - $10/gallon. Is this correct for an 2001 7.3? I see 4 Rotella coolants on the Shell web page.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rot...allon/51914799

Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 PM
jcthorne
Senior User
jcthorne has a good reputation on FTE.jcthorne has a good reputation on FTE.jcthorne has a good reputation on FTE.
Its pre-diluted so its $20 a gallon which is not all that great. You can get the Delo for that. The undiluted Rotella is at tractor supply for 13.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:18 PM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Plus when you flush you have water left in the system so you will not have a 50/50 mix when you are done.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM
SteveH-CO
Posting Guru
SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
Very good points. $17/gal at my Tractor Supply, so maybe I'll wait for a sale. I do like buying a concentrate so that I can dilute to my preferred strength and accomodate leftover water in the block.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
electryc_monk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

Dang what an impressive thread y'all!

So, I've cut-n-pasted to a word-doc key data and the "Recipe" for the surgery.

for the record mine(is/are) e99's for this reference point.

Currently making the price list using NAPA, Stealership/online, O'rielly's, Tractor Supply & Amazon for parts. I will be doing this by end of the summer. I will also share current prices I found given the last post with pricing was ~2009?
A) Currently O'riellys D4985 concentrate price is the same as Tractor Supply here in Denton $17.99 /gal.
B) Odd note so far on pricing of parts, not found anyone where that you can get a "case" of the coolant filters, say, 6-12? I have not talked to the local NAPA shop yet.....

I saw someone make a reference to this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-c-mod-2.html
I had heard of the Ranger part mod years ago & finally have had time to do a slightly different method. Dual 3-way brass valves. Thru R&D my Alpha kit will be going toward my friends truck when they do their flush/fill. My Beta version will go on my (new to me) e99. I made 2 sets of aluminum "L" brackets to mount each setup on our trucks.

I also have a coolant filter setup ready to be plumbed into the system as well -- when the coolant procedure is done too. FYI picture visible in other post about pictures of your engine thread (smirks) a few months back... forgot to save thread in subscriptions to do a cheat-link. Sorry.

I am curious if the original suggestion of a 3 month filter replacement for sand extraction is still the logical plan over the first year from the flush/fill? OR if I should be more flexible and consider a sliding scale dependent of miles driven?

Last edited by electryc_monk; 07-14-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: forgot to note about Tractor supply and pricing
Old 07-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Pitcrw6
Postmaster
Pitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant futurePitcrw6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by electryc_monk View Post
Dang what an impressive thread y'all!

So, I've cut-n-pasted to a word-doc key data and the "Recipe" for the surgery.

for the record mine(is/are) e99's for this reference point.

Currently making the price list using NAPA, Stealership/online, O'rielly's, Tractor Supply & Amazon for parts. I will be doing this by end of the summer. I will also share current prices I found given the last post with pricing was ~2009?
A) Currently O'riellys D4985 concentrate price is the same as Tractor Supply here in Denton $17.99 /gal.
B) Odd note so far on pricing of parts, not found anyone where that you can get a "case" of the coolant filters, say, 6-12? I have not talked to the local NAPA shop yet.....

I saw someone make a reference to this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...a-c-mod-2.html
I had heard of the Ranger part mod years ago & finally have had time to do a slightly different method. Dual 3-way brass valves. Thru R&D my Alpha kit will be going toward my friends truck when they do their flush/fill. My Beta version will go on my (new to me) e99. I made 2 sets of aluminum "L" brackets to mount each setup on our trucks.

I also have a coolant filter setup ready to be plumbed into the system as well -- when the coolant procedure is done too. FYI picture visible in other post about pictures of your engine thread (smirks) a few months back... forgot to save thread in subscriptions to do a cheat-link. Sorry.

I am curious if the original suggestion of a 3 month filter replacement for sand extraction is still the logical plan over the first year from the flush/fill? OR if I should be more flexible and consider a sliding scale dependent of miles driven?
I buy my Baldwin filters from Application Associates. They sell them by the case and the more you buy the cheaper they are.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:33 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by electryc_monk View Post
For the record mine(is/are) e99's for this reference point.
Red flag
on the E99's you cannot just flush coolant and add ELC. You MUST redo cups with the correct green threadlocker, off memory i think its # 612
ELC is incompatible with the threadlocker sealant used on early engines' cups and will cause cup failure

edit: its # 620

Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
Red flag
on the E99's you cannot just flush coolant and add ELC. You MUST redo cups with the correct green threadlocker, off memory i think its # 612
ELC is incompatible with the threadlocker sealant used on early engines' cups and will cause cup failure
BOOM....and it's been talked about it a bunch, but many doubt it and want proof. The chemistry just doesn't play well together.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
Unhappy

For the record Wesley Green & BBslider001 I see I should of clarified that I am clearly planned on using the "Green" NON_ELC coolant. As it seems your post suggests I was planning on using ELC for some reason.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:50 PM
electryc_monk
Junior User
found their website dude, thanks.a bunch for the heads up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.