Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information - Page 12 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by cruzer17 View Post
Paul,
Where in Anchorage did you find the Delo Elc? I'm in the Valley and I'm having a hell of a time.
There's a Crowley Petroleum in Palmer that sells Chevron Delo, if that helps.

Crowley Petroleum Distribution in Palmer, AK | 523 S Valley Way, Palmer, AK

Stewart

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Would mixing 2 brands of ELC be bad?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
No. As long as they are both true OAT ELC's, it's ok.

Stewart

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
cruzer17
Junior User
cruzer17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
There's a Crowley Petroleum in Palmer that sells Chevron Delo, if that helps.

Crowley Petroleum Distribution in Palmer, AK | 523 S Valley Way, Palmer, AK

Stewart
Thanks Stewart, and Paul. Unfortunately they are closed till Tuesday. I did find some Zerex Extreme ELC at Napa for about $16. Is it worth waiting for the Chevron Delo, or go with the Zerex and get it done this weekend?
On a different note, what is your opinion on changing out my thermostat to a dieselsite 203 degree thermostat? Sure would be nice for quicker warmup during the winter months.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1
A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
No. As long as they are both true OAT ELC's, it's ok.

Stewart
It would be Chevron Delo and Shell Rotella ELC

Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Any OAT ELC is good.

I prefer the Delo but I wouldn't hesitate to use any OAT ELC for my rig.

I also wouldn't worry about mixing any of the ELC's below with each other if a situation presented itself and I couldn't get the same stuff that I've already put in my rad.

CAT HD ELC
Fleetrite HD ELC (International's brand)
Rotella HD ELC
Prestone HD ELC
Zerex Extreme HD ELC
Chevron/Texaco/Delo ELC

Stewart

Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
Diesel Submariner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
CASTROL HD ELC?

Any OAT ELC is good.

I prefer the Delo but I wouldn't hesitate to use any OAT ELC for my rig.

I also wouldn't worry about mixing any of the ELC's below with each other if a situation presented itself and I couldn't get the same stuff that I've already put in my rad.

CAT HD ELC
Fleetrite HD ELC (International's brand)
Rotella HD ELC
Prestone HD ELC
Zerex Extreme HD ELC
Chevron/Texaco/Delo ELC

Stewart
G'day Stewart,
I use Castrol Lubricants in the truck. RX Super 15w40 in donk, TransMax 'Z' in 4R100, TX Case & Steering, Castrol Gear Oil etc.
So reckon I'll go with their Coolant if it is suitable. From my reading of the specs it seems to be pretty good. What is your opinion of this Coolant.
Castrol products are very readily available over here in Aussie.

Cheers,
Reg.

CASTROL HEAVY DUTY 50/50 PRE–DILUTED EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE

Castrol Heavy Duty 50/50 Pre-Diluted Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze features a patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) formula that delivers total cooling system protection for 600,000 miles of on-road use or 6 years/12,000 hours of off-highway use. The only maintenance required is a single addition of Castrol Extender at approximately 300,000 miles of on-road use or 3 years/6,000 hours of off-highway use. It is fully compatible with all coolant technologies in all proportions. However, it is recommended to top off with Castrol Extended Life Coolant only. Castrol Heavy Duty 50/50 Pre-Diluted Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze provides outstanding long-term wet sleeve liner cavitation protection of all cooling system metals and already contains the proper balance of coolant and de-ionized water.

Castrol Heavy Duty 50/50 Pre-Diluted Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze helps you to:
  • Deliver total cooling system protection for 600,000 miles of on-road use or 6 years/12,000 hours of off-highway use
  • Be environmentally friendly with a nitrite and borate free formula
  • Protect against corrosion through its silicate and phosphate free formula
  • Minimize the formation of harmful acids that impede cooling system efficiency through our advanced OAT formula
  • Improve maintenance costs by eliminating the need for routine inhibitor testing

ANY TYPE OF VEHICLE CAN REALIZE THE BENEFITS OF CASTROL EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT

Castrol Heavy Duty Converter

Any type of vehicle can capitalize on the cost and time savings associated with an extended life coolant. Castrol Heavy Duty Converter allows a properly maintained cooling system with less than 300,000 miles on-road or 3 years/6,000 hours off-highway to be converted to Castrol Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze, without a complete flush and fill.

Castrol Heavy Duty Converter helps you to:
  • Eliminate the need to do a complete cooling system flush, drain and refill
  • Significantly lower the quantity and cost of new coolant required
  • Reduce the amount of used coolant disposal
  • Minimize vehicle downtime for conversion
  • Simplify the conversion process
Castrol Heavy Duty Extender

Castrol Heavy Duty Extender is the approved extender for use with Castrol Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze. It should be added to the cooling system after approximately 300,000 miles of on-road use or 3 years/6,000 hours of off-highway use to maintain the protection that is provided by Castrol Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Originally Posted by Diesel Submariner View Post
G'day Stewart,
I use Castrol Lubricants...So reckon I'll go with their Coolant if it is suitable.
From my reading of the specs it seems to be pretty good. What is your opinion of this Coolant.
G'day, DS!

From the info you've provided, the coolant in question is an OAT ELC. Just do a complete flush of your system, with the last couple steps being a flush with distilled water, then refill with the concentrate form of coolant, not the 50/50 mix.

Stewart

Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
CASTROL OAT ELC

G'day, DS!

From the info you've provided, the coolant in question is an OAT ELC. Just do a complete flush of your system, with the last couple steps being a flush with distilled water, then refill with the concentrate form of coolant, not the 50/50 mix.

Stewart
G'day Stewart,

So the stuff is good to go with.
However you recommend I get it in the 100% concentrated form.
But I would still have to mix it myself for a 50/50 final concentration right?
Besides 'not' being a cost effective way to go, is there any other draw back with using this coolant (or any other) in the already 50/50 form?

Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge & experience.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Since there are FleetPrides all over the country, I'd like to add their offering to this list:

http://primabrands.com/marketing-lit...nt/PTC1192.pdf

Pop

Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Diesel Submariner View Post
However you recommend I get it in the 100% concentrated form.
But I would still have to mix it myself for a 50/50 final concentration right?
Besides 'not' being a cost effective way to go, is there any other draw back with using this coolant (or any other) in the already 50/50 form?
Since you'll never get all the water completely out of the block when flushing it....

.... and since your cooling system takes eight gallons of coolant, total, ....

....then you dump FOUR gallons of 100% into the system, then top off with about three more gallons (or whatever) of distilled (plus the one gallon, or whatever, still in there) and you get eight gallons of 50/50.

Kapeesh?

Keep a gallon of the 50/50 around for the occasional "top-off".

Pop

Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
KAPEESH

Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Since you'll never get all the water completely out of the block when flushing it....

.... and since your cooling system takes eight gallons of coolant, total,

Then you dump FOUR gallons of 100% into the system, then top off with about three more gallons (or whatever) of distilled (plus the one gallon still in there) and you get eight gallons of 50/50.

Kapeesh?

Keep a gallon of the 50/50 around for the occasional "top-off".

Pop
G'day Pop,

Kapeesh

Cheers,
Reg

Old 09-03-2012, 03:00 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
G'day back atcha'!

'Cept it's NIGHT here!

G'night!

Hahahahahaha!

All's good! At least the firing order remains the same, 'cause everything else under the hood looks somewhat reversed to me!

Jus' funnin' ya'!

Pop

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Diesel Submariner
Senior User
G'nite

Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
G'day back atcha'!

'Cept it's NIGHT here!

G'night!

Hahahahahaha!

All's good! At least the firing order remains the same, 'cause everything else under the hood looks somewhat reversed to me!

Jus' funnin' ya'!

Pop
No worries Mate,

G'nite, take care.

Cheers,
Reg

Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
av8or1
Senior User
av8or1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stewart,

Been doing a lot of research on this whole SCA business and feel comfortable with the basic premise, but I have a question: there appears to be two competing assertions regarding when an ELC can be used in the 7.3. One says only 2002 and later model engines, the other says anything after early 1999 and later model engines. Premature wear of the seals and gaskets being the reason why, as has been documented. Some even claim to run ELC in their IDIs! It almost seems like it's a depends-on-who-you-talk-to kind of thing.

So anyway, the question: is there any definitive word as to when (ergo beginning with which engine manufacture year, and as I recall there is a specific engine serial number that begins the ELC era) you can use an ELC in your 7.3?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.