Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information - Page 10 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Spool&Go View Post
This is the stuff that I used.

The Concentrate

Napa coolant image by 1991corvette on Photobucket
Looks like a traditional "green" coolant.

If you haven't already done so, get a bottle of SCA, add it, then measure it with a test strip to make sure you have the correct levels.

Stewart

Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks to you Stewart and all the others, Gooch for sure. I was lucky to find this thread a couple of weeks ago, especially since I was about to change my green coolant for more green. A bit pricey, but I should never have to touch my coolant system again. I did water pump, hoses, t-stat, flushed everything. The fan clutch kicked my a**, but didn't loose too much blood when the wrench slipped.
I had to buy a case (6 gallons) from a lube distributor, so if anyone in the Houston area needs a gallon pm me. I will keep one gallon just in case. It's Chevrons Delo HD ELC, concentrate.
Thanks again.
Tom.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Glad I could help.

Stewart

Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Spool&Go
Posting Guru
Spool&Go has a very good reputation on FTE.Spool&Go has a very good reputation on FTE.Spool&Go has a very good reputation on FTE.
I second that. Thanks for everything guys. I appreciate it.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Distilled water. Any particular type or just something from Wal*Mart? I read the label and it does seem to have some stuff in it. As I understand it, distilled water should be water and nothing, right? Anyone care to give me a clue? I used to know someone in the lab so distilled water was easy to get. Not so anymore since she quit her job there.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Deionized is best, but yeah, distilled from anywhere will work.

I've done this three times now and each time I just bought a bunch from Walmart, which was the cheapest place.

Stewart

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anyone know how Amsoil ANT tests up to the delo hd elc?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Probably costs twice as much.

It's a "revolutionary formulation" based on propylene glycol, it's "compatible" with almost everything, and even stops leaks! See:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx

About forty bucks a gallon.......

Pop

Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Suprisingly enough, becoming an Amsoil dealer ($10) has saved me $200 on fluids already (shipping included) over what I would have put in the truck. Not to mention 3x longer oil change intervals and oil filters that last 25K, i'll try to find amsoil alternatives in my truck for as long as the savings and quality continue.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Sigskydiver View Post
Suprisingly enough, becoming an Amsoil dealer ($10) has saved me $200 on fluids already (shipping included) over what I would have put in the truck. Not to mention 3x longer oil change intervals and oil filters that last 25K, i'll try to find amsoil alternatives in my truck for as long as the savings and quality continue.
No one accepts a religion better than those that become its clergy.

Jus' sayin'.......

Pop

Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sigskydiver View Post
So, would a normal buyer save anything using Amsoil? Delo ELC pretty much lasts forever, at least I won't have to do anything for 2-300k miles in my truck.
And, surprised Amsoil didn't provide info regarding a comparison, for sales pitches.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Sigskydiver
Senior User
Originally Posted by trekbasso View Post
So, would a normal buyer save anything using Amsoil? Delo ELC pretty much lasts forever, at least I won't have to do anything for 2-300k miles in my truck.
And, surprised Amsoil didn't provide info regarding a comparison, for sales pitches.
Of course they had a comparison, just not to the Delo that I was looking towards. I consider myself a normal buyer, just paid the $10 dealer fee to get dealer pricing. They claim 20-25% off, looks about right. With the fluids I've been looking at, they're normally cheaper than the equivalent fluid of another name brand, with a longer change interval. I simply shop for the cheapest prices and it was cost conscious for me.

Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
No one accepts a religion better than those that become its clergy.

Jus' sayin'.......

Pop
Like whoever you like, the proof is in the wallet. Dont always go Ams, just when the price is right. Everyone has their own flavor of coolaid...

Old 05-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Adding more info obtained from Gooch regarding the pH of ELC, from about a year ago:

pH is a good indicator of the condition of your ELC. Right out of the bottle the pH of ELC will be considerably lower than conventional (green) coolants. Say a pH of 8.3 for ELC and 10.5 for conventional.

A key point here is that you really have to know the original/baseline pH of the type of coolant you have when it is new (and diluted with H2O) to compare a later test of pH with. You can test the pH (after you mix with H2O) and write it down somewhere when you switch out to the ELC.

A sign that the ELC has lost it's ability to protect the engine would be more associated with a lowering pH than a high pH. A lowering pH is a sign the inhibitors are being depleted. But this happens very slowly in good HD ELC's. Say 1.0-1.5 pH in 100K miles would be normal.

The addition of extender (not SCA) will raise the pH back up (by adding inhibitors). On the other hand, a rising pH can mean something is going on with the engine, like contamination, etc. Again, just make sure your baseline pH wasn't high to begin with (adding H2O with a high pH at original fill will do that too).

I know companies like Penray and Acustrip make test strips for ELC. They will test the pH and RA (reserve alkalinity) of the ELC along with freezepoint and nitrite (if coolant has nitrite). CAT also has test strips and a SOS test program for ELC, but really, unless you have reason to believe your engine or cooling system has a problem, there is no reason to spend the money to test it (it's cheaper to just change out the coolant).

Just change it out at the recommended interval, or add the extender (not SCA). Color and freeze point are really all the indicators you need with ELC. BTW, I wouldn't rely on the RA test strips as much as the pH test strips for ELC. RA doesn't really show a good indication of inhibitor condition in ELC since ELC's don't always have the inhibitors RA checks for, and RA will be much lower in ELC's compared to conventionals, say almost cut in half.
So, your pH should be based on a comparison of what it was when you diluted it upon initial fill.

Stewart

Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Since a lot of times forum searches for radiator flush threads are done because someone is planning on replacing their water pump, I thought it would be a good idea to post Maintain's often searched for YouTube vid for water pump R&R.

YouTube - Water Pump RnR

Stewart
Adding Trey's water pump removal vid to the thread. Can never have too many instructional videos!

7.3L PSD - How To: Replace Water Pump - YouTube

Stewart

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Thanks for keeping up with this Stewart.
I did the water pump, etc., and flushed and hoses at same time. A great way to do the flush with it all apart.
Very glad I changed to the re-routed hose, as I have had to change the belt twice since doing the flush, nice not to break coolant system open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.