Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Another Happy 5-Star Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another Happy 5-Star Owner

Just wanted to further everyone elses reccomendations for Mike Butler's tuning services @ 5-Star Tuning. Ordered my tuner last week, had a tracking number that day and recieved the tuner yesterday (Wed 5-26-10). Of course like any kid in a candy store I imediately went out to install the 87 performance tune since I still had a 1/3 of a tank of regular unleaded to burn off. I plugged in the programmer, and got nothing, no screen, no power, nothing. Called Mike explained the problem and he said to check the fuse for power to the OBD port, sure enough that fixed it.

Put the 87 performace tune in and can say after a days driving I'm pretty pleased with the tune. The stratagy for the transmission is great, smooth and soft shifts under light throttle, nice and crisp under heavy throttle. Not harsh, just crisp, the way it should have been from the factory! No more goofy locking and unlocking of the torque converter under light throttle when in OD, it now just stays locked like it should. As far as power, it definately pulls harder all the way through the RPM band. I probably noticed the biggest gain from 3,000 rpm on up which is kind of what I expected after looking at all the dyno charts on the 5-Star web site. The only thing I have came accross that I'm not sure I like is under medium throttle it seems to hold first gear for the right amount of time but upshifts to from 2nd to 3rd to OD very quickly, however I only have one day on it and my driving style might be what causes this because less or more throttle and I don't notice it. I'll put some more time on it and if I notice it's a regular occurance I'll have mike get me an updated tune with a slightly different transmission stratagy.

Burned the 1/3 tank of fuel down to the red line on the fuel gauge yesterday and put 1/4 tank of 91 in this morning. Figured I'd run this 1/4 tank down and then get a full fill of 91 and before I installing the 91 octane towing tune. I was hoping to give it a work out hauling the fifthwheel and boat (GCWR 22k lbs) this weekend but due to crummy weather for the weekend I have to wait untill next weekend to give my impressions of the 91 octane towing tune. I'll report back. Thanks Mike for the great customer service and what seems to be a great product!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
A big THANKS SLE
Too bad the weather will be crummy... for tugging the 5ver around

Mike

Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the "5Star" club SLE, you will love the tow tune also, agreed, great product and A1 service!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
big THANKS to you fordboy67

Now I am not sure i can say this but I have used the tow tune once or twice and i kind of like it to

Have a great Holiday weekend all! We have some camping planned which is good family fun in my book.

Mike

Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The down side to the tune is I had no problem burning up a 1/3 of a tank in an afternoon not really doing anything! It's not the fault of the tune as much as it was my right foot just having fun. Took my father in-law for a ride last night and he asked if he could get one for his dodge, same thing from one of the guys at work bout his chevy. Both were impressed. Mike, you appear to specialize in the fords but if you have a reccomendation for a good tuner for GMs or Dodges I'd appreciate it for the sake of others. Neither thought you'd be able to get that much out of a gasser, I told them it's all in getting a good CUSTOM tune from a reputable tuner and not a one size fits all setup.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
kershman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much the same for me. I ordered last Friday, had it yesterday, burned a quarter tank on the performance tune and liked it. I just put the 87 tow on for the weekend. We are headed out in the AM. Only about 600 miles round trip, but that should be enough to check it out.

Thanks Mike and 5 Star!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:33 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I started a "I like Mike" thread - post all reviews, comments, etc, and vote in the poll!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...at-5-star.html