7.3 idi starter is toast - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 idi starter is toast

Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Junior User

dwalphinVT is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 idi starter is toast

I have a 1989 7.3 idi and the starter has gone out on it. Sometimes its starts right up and sometimes it just clicks. Is there an aftermarket starter that I can get that will turn over faster than the stock one? Starts great in summer but this past winter it had to turn and turn to get it started and would like something with some more power to it. Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Postmaster

oreocreaming is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dont think its your starter. check your starter solenoid
Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant future
and cables/terminals for corrosion.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior User

gumboluvr is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had one that would drag. It gave me fits for months because folks here kept saying my starting problem was air intrusion. I think the gear reduction Mitsubishi is the replacement for these trucks. Word to the wise, bring your old started to the store. They will give you the wrong one about half the time.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Methanoholic

Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.
As stated, check cables and grounds. Just because cable look ok does not mean they are, do they get warm/hot at the terminals while cranking, many times the issues are inside the connectors.

There are also TWO solenoids, one on the inside of the fender, and one on the starter, check them both ...

However, if the starter is getting weak, replace, Diesels need to spin pretty fast to start easy.

Also ensure your Glow System and Fuel system are in tip top shape.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior User

fast70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mine was doing that and then took a crap on me at a customers house we had to send some one to go get the sylinoid that goes on the starter from advanced autoparts and now it spines alot faster then it ever did
Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant futureFORDF250HDXLT has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboluvr View Post
Word to the wise, bring your old started to the store. They will give you the wrong one about half the time.
sig:
94 7.3L Factory Turbo

i notice you have a 94.
when asking for parts,no matter what it is.always say you have a 93,and so many of your problems will be gone forever.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Freshman User

ranch-verteran is starting off with a positive reputation.
starters

i just found this thread and yes the starters today are garbage, i have tried most high torque starters and stay away from cheaper ones. the napa starters die off quick.

bigest problem with starters is the solenoids. they fail almost garunteed and lock the starer in sometimes while going down the road. since the starters have a solenoid on them already theres no need for this "ford" fender solenoid.

i got a brand new $500 American made starter from a shop in Wisconsin. worked great till it decided to short out internally while parked and fried the starter solenoid and burnt up the wiring.

so i will be adding a inline fuse to starter wire this next time.

i can say batteries and cables are not a issue for me as both are the same age and in good condition. also cables where rebuilt and in excellent condition and connections kept clean.

is there any decent long life starters out there?

replacing a starter every 2 months 5 to 10k miles is getting annoying.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Junior User

Charmalu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Some of the guys here have had good results with the Powermaster 9050.

Powermaster 9050: Ford Denso Diesel Starter F-150/F-250 all except Powerstroke | JEGS

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9050

My bro-in-law just put one in his 83 6.9 4x4, was really impressed in how fast it turned the engine over.

Charlie
Old 03-03-2017, 07:45 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
the only starter i have ever had work for any length of time besides the one that came with the truck from the factors is the ones i get built from a local shop up the road a bit.
no auto parts or internet starter or alternator ever lasts more than around two years.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior User

Herb Brooks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
the only starter i have ever had work for any length of time besides the one that came with the truck from the factors is the ones i get built from a local shop up the road a bit.
no auto parts or internet starter or alternator ever lasts more than around two years.
Agreed, Besides the local guy has to look you in the eye if there is a problem, has a vested interest in doing quality work. And his kids gotta eat too. local is best if you can wait a day.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 PM
Postmaster

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Honestly, pull the starter apart. It's a couple of bolts, a couple of large screws.

Take a look at it. If the brushes look good(when you remove the motor rotor[center section] they expand inward at least another 1/8" or so), clean it all up, re-grease all the greasy spots(NOT the brushes), sand where the brushes ride on the copper contacts and reassemble.

I've fixed multiple 'slowly cranking' starters and turned them into rockstars this way.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I have found a lot of the slow speed issues come from the brush plate to back cap connection. Those two phillips screws are what the starter grounds through. I replaced those with allen head screws and sanded the contact point on one starter, and never had any more issues with it. I was able to get much more torque on the allen head screws.