1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Noise? Exhaust Leak? Flutter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Header Noise? Exhaust Leak? Flutter?

Hello everybody

As some of you may know, I recently installed a set of JBA shorty headers on my 5.4L, along with an SPD y-pipe.

Here's another thread I have going about this...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-5-4l-2v.html

And, here's the writeup I did on it...
2004 F250 Broken Exhuast Manifold Stud

I have a question about a noise I'm hearing. With the engine under light load, I hear what sounds like a really slight exhaust leak on the driver's side. I've laid under there with it running & someone blocking the tailpipe with a towel and I can't feel any leaks anywhere. I had to re-tighten the header bolts twice in the beginning, but they've been tight every time I've checked since.

Truck runs great but the slight noise is a little irritating. Does anyone else with headers have this sort of noise? Maybe this is typical for these engines and headers? Wishful thinking LOL.

What does exhaust flutter sound like? Maybe that's what's goin on since I did the y-pipe? Do 5.4L's ever suffer from flutter? I thought that was just a V10 thing..?

Or, is this likely just a good old fashioned exhaust leak that I can't pin down? Its been this way for about 300 miles and hasn't got any worse, or better.

If anyone has any advice about this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM
twall_SD250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have heard a few people say they got a funny noise like that after changing over the Y pipe, but not everyone i know has that problem it seems to be hit or miss
i dont know if this helps you or not but you might be able to do a search on the Y pipe mod

Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Hello everybody

As some of you may know, I recently installed a set of JBA shorty headers on my 5.4L, along with an SPD y-pipe.

Here's another thread I have going about this...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-5-4l-2v.html

And, here's the writeup I did on it...
2004 F250 Broken Exhuast Manifold Stud

I have a question about a noise I'm hearing. With the engine under light load, I hear what sounds like a really slight exhaust leak on the driver's side. I've laid under there with it running & someone blocking the tailpipe with a towel and I can't feel any leaks anywhere. I had to re-tighten the header bolts twice in the beginning, but they've been tight every time I've checked since.

Truck runs great but the slight noise is a little irritating. Does anyone else with headers have this sort of noise? Maybe this is typical for these engines and headers? Wishful thinking LOL.

What does exhaust flutter sound like? Maybe that's what's goin on since I did the y-pipe? Do 5.4L's ever suffer from flutter? I thought that was just a V10 thing..?

Or, is this likely just a good old fashioned exhaust leak that I can't pin down? Its been this way for about 300 miles and hasn't got any worse, or better.

If anyone has any advice about this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
You're hearing the exhaust pulses through the thin tubing on the headers. Get used to it,or remove them-there's not a real "fix" for that annoying racket other than wrapping the headers which will void any warranty that you have,and will make a very short life for those JBA headers.
JL

Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
A header wrap will help, but as mentioned may void the header warranty.

Heat Shields - Insulation - Exhaust Header Wrap

Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Thanks for the replies guys

JL -- I don't mind living with the noise, as long as I'm convinced its a normal occurance. If its just noise, that's fine. Somewhat annoying but as long as I'm not worrying about it, I'll be able to ignore it soon enough. Much like the coal trains that kept me awake the first two nights of college. From night three to the end I didn't even notice them

I've only had headers on two other vehicles before this truck and both of those had a loud enough exhaust that, I guess, I never noticed this sort of thing.

Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
johnbox
Freshman User
Had a friend with a Mustang GT (stock headers) and this is quite normal.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to confirm your suspicions go around all the exhaust header flanges and manifold area with a stethascope ( a piece of 1/4" poly tubing works well). It will amplify the smallest of leaks.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Thinking about this, I remember someone saying that the original Y-Pipe had the crimps or "neck-down" on it to eliminate a "flutter" noise.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 PM
bakon
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I cant answer your question but can say my v10 has no flutter. Headman headers include the y pipe and no noises. Definately wider than the stock necked down crossover.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
My eBay headers were VERY LOUD!! Lots of flutter. Tinny, metallic sound - easily mistaken for a leak. I header wrapped mine and at least 75% of the noise is gone. There's still some of it there, but I blame that on myself. I wasn't able to wrap the headers perfectly while they were already on the truck. I'm confident what you're hearing is just header noise frome the thin tubes. If it's that much of an issue (an it was for me) try the header wrap.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Thanks for the additional replies!

I just got back from a trip to PA. About 800 miles total and the noise didn't get any better or worse. I'm going to check one more time for leaks tomorrow around the ball flanges and also try what DAVE67FD suggested.

I'll admit that "getting used to it" is harder than I thought it would be I might look into the header wrap before long if its still bothering me.

grec-o-face--- do you have any pics of your wrapped headers? Which wrap did you use?

For the record, my mileage at the four fillups was 15.7, 15.0, 13.0, and 17.9mpg. See if you can guess which ones were city, mixed, and all freeway?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Just read this on the JBA site. I think this comes as no surprise but I thought I'd check. Still gonna consider it though.

Originally Posted by JBA website
THE FOLLOWING WILL VOID THIS WARRANTY: Use of heat-wrap” products and/or the use of fuels other than gasoline will void this warranty. Damage caused by improper installation is not covered under this warranty. Damage caused by collision, road hazards, or failure of other components is not covered. Any repair or alteration to a JBA product not performed by JBA or its authorized agents will void this warranty.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1975StroppeBaja
Thanks for the additional replies!

I just got back from a trip to PA. About 800 miles total and the noise didn't get any better or worse. I'm going to check one more time for leaks tomorrow around the ball flanges and also try what DAVE67FD suggested.

I'll admit that "getting used to it" is harder than I thought it would be I might look into the header wrap before long if its still bothering me.

grec-o-face--- do you have any pics of your wrapped headers? Which wrap did you use?

For the record, my mileage at the four fillups was 15.7, 15.0, 13.0, and 17.9mpg. See if you can guess which ones were city, mixed, and all freeway?
I bought cheap ebay header wrap, I figured it was appropriate with my cheap eBay headers. Haha. Make sure you get 2" wide wrap, and try to get 1/8" wrap instead of 1/16". I bought 2 50' rolls and still have about 15 or 20 feet left.
There's more info about my install here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...s-weekend.html

Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I have a flutter with my gibsons. Under heavy load there is a flutter from the floor and a little higher up. I've got to crawl under it and check the bolts, but I thought we put Stage8 bolts on the headers when they were installed.

Be very careful with header wraps. They can hold moisture against the pipes, and manifolds don't need anymore excuse to rust than the heat and cooling they under go. JBA should be SS, but even 304 will rust, 409 will a little quicker. Just something to keep an eye on.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Just as a follow up, I still have the noise and I still can't find a leak so at this point I'm convinced its "the nature of the beast"

And, I'm officially "used to it". Took about 2.5 months but I don't even notice it now unless I'm specifically listening for it.

Still lovin' the additional throttle response and pep though

Quick Reply: Header Noise? Exhaust Leak? Flutter?