Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need 35 spline side gears for a trac lok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
mando jake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need 35 spline side gears for a trac lok?

I've got a set of new 35 spline gears for a power lock that I would trade for 35's for the trac lok . I thought you guys might know who sells them. Dana 60. thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang, I just got rid of a set. Ive had several Trac locs fail and you wont find one in any more of my rigs.
Regardless, if you have one, and you want to throw some money at it, Yukon makes the gear set, and they are available anywhere Yukon is sold. (Randys R&P).

Unfortunately, they are spendy, and almost not worth the effort of building a trac loc.

I would think that you could sell your current LS unit, and find a more desirable Power loc and still be money ahead since you have the 35 spline side gears already.
Finding the power loc is not all that hard, and the strength benefits are so much greater.

I do believe that for reliability you will find this benefit by finding a power loc.

Either way, you can find the gears from Yukon.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
mando jake
Senior User
I was hoping that someone had a cheap set to get me going. I've been looking for a good deal on a power lock for a while. I might even have 2 trac loks with 30 splines. I guess I should just sell them to fund a power lok.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Not to hijack..... But does that Powr-Lok cause any steering issues in 2wd with the hubs locked?? I have a Trac-Lok that I was gonna put in the front of my F-350. I would rather have a Powr-Lok, but I already have the Trac-Lok. And, I intend on running front drive flanges and I was a little worried about steering in 2wd. I know the Trac-Lok isn't tight enough to cause any trouble..... but what about the Powr-Lok?? I put a Powr-Lok in the front of a guy's truck a few months ago. But, his hubs were busted and I didn't get a chance to try it out.....

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont have any problems with running the truck in 2wd. I often lock the hubs in before I even get on the freeway and drive to the trail.
I can feel some resistance, but nothing like one light expect, and i run some fairly tight Power locs.
This does require a little finesse when trying to unlock the front hubs though. F350Bronco has taught me a few different ways, but each truck is slightly different.
usually turning the steering wheel back and forth a little bit usually turns the thing enough to allow the hubs to be unlocked, but as far as driving issues, there are none that would not warrant the use of the power loc. (imo)

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Thanks. That's kinda what I was expecting. But I got a little scared after I installed the Powr-Lok I was telling you about. I had just installed it with 4.88 gears and backed it out of the shop. I had the hubs locked and attempted to steer. The steering wheel wouldn't budge and the power steering pump started to scream. Shortly there after, the hub let go, then steering resumed. I was 99% sure this was because the unit was new and the clutch plates hadn't gotten lubed up yet. But, it was still enough to make me worry a little........

I'm glad to hear you're able to run it down the highway with no problems. So, I guess I'm not gonna waste my time with the Trac-Lok. I had to rebuild a Ford 9.75 with one last month. After that experience, I swore I would never have a one-piece case limited slip in anything else I own......

Anyone wanna buy a Dana 60 Trac-Lok??

Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 AM
Bender99
Senior User
Hey Ed, little power loc question for ya,

My old dana 44 power lock, the case came apart with left hand theaded bolts. My new 35 spline dana 60 power lock comes apart right hand thread. Would you happen to know why? My only thought was because the 44 one came from an international scout rear end which i scored cheap cause the guy hammered on it with an impact, snapped it off and couldn't find a bolt for it lol. It was a good thing I didn't take the Impact to my dana 60 power lock or it would have been the same situation cause I thought it would be threaded the same as the 44 was.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe81
Thanks. That's kinda what I was expecting. But I got a little scared after I installed the Powr-Lok I was telling you about. I had just installed it with 4.88 gears and backed it out of the shop. I had the hubs locked and attempted to steer. The steering wheel wouldn't budge and the power steering pump started to scream. Shortly there after, the hub let go, then steering resumed. I was 99% sure this was because the unit was new and the clutch plates hadn't gotten lubed up yet. But, it was still enough to make me worry a little........

I'm glad to hear you're able to run it down the highway with no problems. So, I guess I'm not gonna waste my time with the Trac-Lok. I had to rebuild a Ford 9.75 with one last month. After that experience, I swore I would never have a one-piece case limited slip in anything else I own......

Anyone wanna buy a Dana 60 Trac-Lok??
how much/?