6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??

Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, time will tell if this 6.7 will be reliable! Vehicles are terrible investments, but when they require monies beyond the initial capital used to purchase them its even worse! We all buy diesels to accomplish tasks and last a long time while also being reliable. If you spend thousands to purchase and thousands to repair, in some cases before the vehicle is even paid for that's just terrible. I own my current diesel 6.0 free and clear but will need to drop an additional 3 to 5k to get it to go 300K miles? I shouldn't have to do that! I'd take 100 less horsepower if it gained 150K trouble free miles! I hope Ford has stepped up in the reliabilty category with this 6.7! I won't take my hard earned money and gamble it on another Ford Diesel until I see evidence of long term/high mileage reliability!!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM
asphaltman
Senior User
My truck has 5,000 miles and no problems. I still think this is a home run truck. Will there be warranty issues? Of course, but I bet it it wont be anything major. I really think they looked close at this one. IMHO

Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I don't think we can assume anything.

We cannot assume that Ford learned anything from the problems with the 6.0. Nor can we assume that learning anything would prevent another blunder.

We cannot assume that having been burned by a 6.0 once, means that you will get burned again. Not even by another 6.0, and certainly not by another generation of engine.

We cannot assume that the extensive testing Ford claims to have done, will mean anything for real world owners.

The only thing we can assume is that time will tell the tale. And that is what the OP is asking. It's probably too soon to know much, but then we cannot assume that either.
I'm pretty confident that the 6.7 wont' be anything like the 6.0. Sure there will be some issues that develop but nothing like the 6.0 when introduced.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Chep
Mountain Pass
The deciding factor for me, besides the fact it's a helluva truck, when I chose to buy this truck, was that Ford can't play the blame game with this one. It is their name on this project, and theirs alone. They are solely responsible for it's success or failure. I am confident they will stand behind their product and their response to issues so far, from what I have read, is supporting my decision.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Here's what I know from a conversation with the Service Manager from a large Ford dealer in ATL (there are actually about four major dealers). This guy came to buy my V10 tonight and I found this out. He had absolutely no skin in the game, he could care less which I bought and he's too far away for me to consider his dealership for work anyway.

I said "I'm buying a 2010 6.4 or 2011 6.7 tomorrow, which one should I get"? He said without a doubt the 6.7L, Ford has done a lot of work on this engine. He's seen all the real testing first hand (like I said he's pretty high up on the pecking order with Ford SE region). Some of his technicians already have the 6.7's and love them, he said they haven't had anything of major consequence with the 6.7's.

I asked what if I get the 6.4 and do the mods with dpf and tune it to stop regen and get more power? He said he still wouldn't do it. He's looked at the design and says it's so much better it wouldn't be worth it. I think he said 6.4 has 4 bolts per cyl and 6.7 has 6 bolts.

I said "well what about getting rid of the DEF on the 6.7"? He said the kits are already out there, one of his techs already did it to his.

Am I a little concerned, sure, but now I have no truck!! I've got to buy one or the other Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm going with the 6.7 unless the world almost ends tomorrow.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Dang it, forgot a big factor he said. He said "if Ford's new engine has issues then they may lose the truck market for good, they aren't going to let that happen". He also said "Ford has already lost some of the market because of the issues with 6.0 and 6.4. This engine has been designed and tested like nothing he's ever seen before".

Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly my thoughts as well. Ford has this one last shot to get the diesel right. If they mess this up they might as well get out of the diesel business. I placed my bet on the " Ford got it right this time" square. I am happy so far.

Regards

Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Roller150
Senior User
We have a fleet of Dodge trucks and the cummins start getting blow by at 100k miles! There is on in the shop now getting a new/ used engine in it because its so bad. These trucks are not what people make them out to be, at least from what we are seeing in them. Now the gas engines are lasting in the 300k miles. Even the head mechanic said over time the gas engine is better than the diesel because they just really dont last longer than the gas engines do these days. Much cheaper to maintain as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Roller...

I would say the work being done by the truck has a lot to do with the diesel purchase decision. Thus the reason that once a guy who tows heavy or works the diesel truck the way it was designed, would not ever return to a gasser.

Regards

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
boertje
Senior User
Rickatic, you are right. I don't tow anything anymore so my next truck will probably be gas. For me, diesel will be overkill.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*** Problem #1 (for me)***

2011 F250 CC SB FX4 4x4 - less than 900mi.

the rubber seal/boot on the front part of the rear driveshaft is cracked and falling apart.... not sure why or what would cause this other than just cheap quality of the part. It would appear to be a dust seal as it is not leaking anything.
Just wonder if this is going to be a two day fix or an hour fix... I hate sitting at the dealer waiting on the service dept.
Hopefully other seals and dust boots are of a better quality...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:39 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by my996duc1
*** Problem #1 (for me)***

2011 F250 CC SB FX4 4x4 - less than 900mi.

the rubber seal/boot on the front part of the rear driveshaft is cracked and falling apart....
If you don't mind, please take pictures and post them of the cracked seal. That way others can compare their seal to yours for any future problems.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
does sound like the dust boot over the slip joint on the drive shaft.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:57 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Here's what I know from a conversation with the Service Manager from a large Ford dealer in ATL (there are actually about four major dealers). This guy came to buy my V10 tonight and I found this out. He had absolutely no skin in the game, he could care less which I bought and he's too far away for me to consider his dealership for work anyway.

I said "I'm buying a 2010 6.4 or 2011 6.7 tomorrow, which one should I get"? He said without a doubt the 6.7L, Ford has done a lot of work on this engine. He's seen all the real testing first hand (like I said he's pretty high up on the pecking order with Ford SE region). Some of his technicians already have the 6.7's and love them, he said they haven't had anything of major consequence with the 6.7's.

I asked what if I get the 6.4 and do the mods with dpf and tune it to stop regen and get more power? He said he still wouldn't do it. He's looked at the design and says it's so much better it wouldn't be worth it. I think he said 6.4 has 4 bolts per cyl and 6.7 has 6 bolts.

I said "well what about getting rid of the DEF on the 6.7"? He said the kits are already out there, one of his techs already did it to his.

Am I a little concerned, sure, but now I have no truck!! I've got to buy one or the other Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'm going with the 6.7 unless the world almost ends tomorrow.
So the service manager bought your V10? Smart man. I hope the new 6.7 lives up to the hype after a few years. I'll reconsider diesels then.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Not exactly putting his money where his mouth is, is he?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??