Sponsored by: Moser

Tow haul questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow haul questions

On my 2010 FX4 when I use T/H mode I don't really get the engine braking like stated in the maual. Going downhill, I tap the brakes for a second or two and nothing happens. I have to do this sometimes 3 or 4 time before it downshifts itself or what I think is engine braking. I come from powerstroke background and just tapping it going down hill will engage the engine brake. Are these just not that sensitive? Also is it suppose to work when not going downhill?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should provide engine braking. It could be the engine load isn't high enough.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ul-switch.html

Did you have a load or trailer behind you? What was your speed? How steep of a hill?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Yeah I had a boat on it probably close to 3500-4000lbs, can't really discribe the grade probably 200 yards down and pretty steep if that is a grade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru

Do you remember your speed? I know with my boat behind me, if I'm below 20 MPH, it doesn't engine brake, regardless of the incline.

Make sense?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
I was going about 45 and at the bottom of the hill there was a stoplight.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
did you hit the brakes for "a second or two" or did you tap them? I don't think it'll downshift if you hold the pedal down too long... Just a tap will do. Tap again to downshift again. maybe you are hitting the gas in between taps? this negates all downshifts and puts it back in drive.
It will downshift at speeds under 20MPH, I have done it coming off of Mt Ranier in January... I wanted to try out the tow/haul and tapped the brakes to get a lower gear. Worked great. It would downshift everytime I asked until I touched the gas again. Truck was empty with no trailer, though I may have had it in 4hi part of the time.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
I've tried just tapping several times and holding it for a couple seconds. never touched the gas I was pretty sure that it would disable the tow/haul.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:39 AM
skywagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
I've tried just tapping several times and holding it for a couple seconds. never touched the gas I was pretty sure that it would disable the tow/haul.
On mine, the only thing that shuts the tow haul off is the button on end of shifter or shutting the engine off, then upon restart you must push button to engauge tow haul again. I have hit brake pedel to get it to downshift but it will not turn off tow haul.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
It will downshift at speeds under 20MPH, I have done it coming off of Mt Ranier in January... I wanted to try out the tow/haul and tapped the brakes to get a lower gear. Worked great. It would downshift everytime I asked until I touched the gas again. Truck was empty with no trailer, though I may have had it in 4hi part of the time.
This is realy interesting. For three weeks I went to the same boat ramp and took the same route. There is a short (1/8-1/4 mile) , steep (25-30%) hill with a stop sign at the end (return trip). If I'm over 20 MPH at the top of the hill and tap the brakes, engine braking works. If I'm under 20 MPH, it doesn't.

I believe stephen knows what he did and what happened and I know I know what I think I did and what happened...

Hmmm...I'm wondering if I lack the skill to consistenly tap my brakes and engage it! Maybe my tapper circuit is defective! Anyone know where I can tap into the circuit to test it?

Anyway, going again this Friday; I'll try her out again!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't driven my truck since January when I was home, but don't you have to tap twice fairly quickly for the initial downshift to begin, then once for each subsequent? Maybe that's the OP's problem, only tapping once. Try 2 quick taps... I do remember mine was fairly sensitive, as I didn't feel the brakes grab at all.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't driven my truck since January when I was home, but don't you have to tap twice fairly quickly for the initial downshift to begin, then once for each subsequent? Maybe that's the OP's problem, only tapping once. Try 2 quick taps... I do remember mine was fairly sensitive, as I didn't feel the brakes grab at all.
Not according to the manual (at least not word for word):

Tow/Haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/Haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

Wonder what they mean by driving conditions?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:56 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it work in tow/haul mode WITHOUT a trailer connected. i tried to use it a couple weeks back just to test it and got no results. maybe i was doing something wrong. i need to read my manual.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
I got it figured out and it will work without a trailer just have to be going downhill.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM
04XLTRUNNER
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try it again today. I know of a pretty steep hill

Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM
09_XLT
New User
It works for mine, without any load behind the truck, as long as the hill is steep enough. Pretty cool feature, really.

Quick Reply: Tow haul questions