Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looks like TC/Transmission is out

Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Technocrsr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like TC/Transmission is out

I came back yesterday from a short camping trip (100 miles one way) and 1/4 mile from home I was hearing a grinding noise, like brakes metal to metal, when I pulled in my driveway and stopped it was kinda still there on and off.
I looked under the truck and there was oil coming from around and out the bell housing, the few words I mumbled than where not for kids ears.
The truck would not move anymore, however after an hr or so I put some ATF in, 1 1/2 quart and could move the truck off to the side in the yard, where it sits as a big lawn ornament.

What do I do? can it be the TC only or is the whole tranny gone?
Sell as is? Trade her in as is?
Or have it fixed, and what am i looking at $$.
BTW on of those Arkansas trannys is not an option, I only put 8-10K on it per year and my camper max load is 6K.

I can really use some moral support.

1999 232.000 miles

Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
You can get a John Wood trans for about $3400 that will do everything you need and more.

John Wood Automotive - Home

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
When my trans went out, I called around and the info was 'around' 2,000 (1 year warrenty) to rebuild or/ Ford Dealer 3,700 (which included a 6.o oil cooler, 3years limited warrenty) I ended up going with a BTS (from Arkansas) 4,300 (two years of any adjustments, which Brian said could be dozens and dozens of possiabilities, and LifeTime warrenty on trans, after that). BTS only a few hundred miles away from me in MidMo, so I just drove over (took old trans back) and had him adjust it the way I wanted. I plan on keepint the truck until 'I' drop....

I know that John Wood is great, but BTS is in my back yard.

Sorry to hear about your truck.... I have felt that pain.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...pped-down.html

Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles as well. I too have felt your pain. At least you got a lot of miles out of your trans before it tanked. Mine went bad at 140k.

I would not go with the factory unit again. Is your truck in otherwise great shape? If so, I would look at the builders mentioned above and get an upgraded tranny (if you can swing the expense). An upgraded trans is the best mod I have done to my truck so far.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
Rebuilt transmissions online from PowerSource

This is paid shipping for $2K.

I have no experience with them, but have their page in my favorites in case I need one in a hurry.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
What are your plans for the truck?

If you are going to sell it, nobody will pay you the price increase for anything but the cheapest trans. Aamco, Jasper or anything that will get you going. Sell me a non-moving truck and I will not pay you much since it is a crap shoot.

If you are going to keep it for a few years, get a Ford reman and LEAVE THE TRUCK ALONE. NO MODS.

Since I was keeping mine and I know that in a few years, I will break it, I opted for a BTS. Why? Because when the 3 yrs that most people get is up, they pay for the rebuild. JW is a great option except that after 3 yrs, there is no real recourse. With BTS, I pay for shipping only.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by bobbyrjw
Rebuilt transmissions online from PowerSource

This is paid shipping for $2K.

I have no experience with them, but have their page in my favorites in case I need one in a hurry.
Excerpt from Warranty Page: http://www.bestrebuilttransmissions.com/Warranty.htm

2) <!--[endif]-->Installed in vehicles or applications used for racing, off-road use, or containing high performance modifications, aftermarket superchargers, emergency service vehicles, railroad vehicles with high rail equipment. <o></o> <!--[if !supportLists]-->3) <!--[endif]-->Installed in an application that was not intended by the original manufacturer, abuse, misuse, lack of maintenance, damage by accident or fire, improper installation, lack of proper lubrication at start up, over heating or failure of any kind due to defective equipment installed on transmission or component.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->4) <!--[endif]-->Not serviced at proper intervals, use of fluids not in accordance with original manufacturers specifications.<o></o>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->5) <!--[endif]-->Installed using a different valve body or converter other than the one supplied with the transmission.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Technocrsr
Senior User
Thanks Guys, the truck is still very nice, no rust, good paint and engine is still running good, however, i see some injecter stuff coming in the future but that has to be another tread.
The point is I just don't use it hard, I'm a old school diesel driver, it gets there when it gets there, I have a DP tuner but I seldom use the 60E and only use the 40T when I'm out with the travel trailer other than that I use the stock tune with the special TC unlock delay.
There is no saying how long I will keep this truck but I have been eyeing the new 2011 with the 6.2 gasser.
I have it 4 years now but I know it had a hard life before me, goose necks with farm tracters on it.
Another point is that it has a trans cooler on it and I checked that for heat but it feld cool, so that may be another thing to look at.

The problem now is it is 30 miles to the transmission place can I limp it down there if I put some oil in it or have it towed down there?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Technocrsr
There is no saying how long I will keep this truck but I have been eyeing the new 2011 with the 6.2 gasser.
Get Aamco, Jasper or whoever will do it cheapest.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just call John Wood or BTS and be done with it. for your app, the John Wood Towmaster wold be a great option for ya

Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
Just call John Wood or BTS and be done with it. for your app, the John Wood Towmaster wold be a great option for ya
Why bother? If he trades it in or sells it, do you think somebody will give him more money because he spent more on the trans? If I were getting a new truck or even thinking of one, I'd get a trans from Billy Bob's Bar and Grill and Transmission shop.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My bad aklim, i missed it where he said he was lookin at a 2011. And no, anyone in their right mind wont pay more because of a performance trans. Only the idiots selling them sometimes think they will get what they put into their trucks