1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

89 ranger - turn signals only work when truck not running

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
dchirsch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 ranger - turn signals only work when truck not running

I've had this 1989 Ranger XLT for just about a year...and has treated me well so far (I don't drive it every day).
Last night a friend borrowed it...and told me that the wipers and turn signals didn't work (they worked the last time I used it!)
This morning, he said the wipers started working...and when I checked the turn signals, they worked too...until I started the truck, at which point they stopped. (Wipers still work.)

My first thought is a bad multi-function switch (since that's the only thing the turn signals and wipers have in common)..but I can't think of a good reason why they would work when the truck is not running, but stop when the engine starts (difference in voltage?). Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had this issue, and if the recommendation would be to just replace (repair?) the switch. I have not yet taken the column apart to have a peek.

Thanks for any advice!

-D

Old 05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Frist I would look for a ground problem. And you may want to look at the ignition the one down on the colume and make sure it is not trying to seperate. Ford had alot of issues with those.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
dchirsch
New User
Thanks! I will take the column cover off and see what I can find. Tightening a ground and some connections is a lot easier and cheaper than replacing that switch!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
dchirsch
New User
I think I figured this out...the return spring on my ignition is weak, so if the key does not return completely to the "run" position from the "start" position, the turn signals don't work (although the truck runs fine). Turning the key back ever-so-slightly restores turn-signal operation!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have seen the rack on the key part of that system get gummed up and cause the slow return. I would definitely check the switch for separation since that is where the spring is.I have had to pull the steering wheel on more than one Ford so I could spray a little PB blaster followed by light lube to get these so you could turn the key and expect it to return to the run position.