6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Questions for Chris Brewer - chief engineer for the 2011 Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Questions for Chris Brewer - chief engineer for the 2011 Superduty

Ok, for the 2011 Superduty, we have been able to arrange some people from Ford to come on and answer some questions:
Ask Mike - 6.2 gas engine chief engineer
Ask Adam - 6.7 diesel chief engineer
Ask Peter Frantzeskakis - Super Duty Program Manager

We have also setup some interviews with Chris Brewer, the chief engineer for the Superduty:
Interview 1 with Ford SuperDuty chief engineer - Chris
Interview 2 with Ford SuperDuty chief engineer - Chris

We would like to hopefully have Chris come onto the site in a couple of weeks to answer some of the more specific questions you might have in a thread, now that some of you have the trucks out there and are using them.
So see if you can (in the next couple of weeks) think of some smart questions so we all look like an edumacated lot

Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
ctownson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where do we post our questions?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
At this point you can either post them here for reference, or keep the memorized.
He will hopefully be here the first week of June (or so)

Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Ok, Chris will be on here next Tues.
Line up all of the questions you can for him!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
The_Juice
Junior User
I would like to hear an explanation of the new transmission and its gearing. How its better than the old 5 speed that used higher rear end ratios, and what was the reason for the new set up, simply mileage?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
bookem15
Senior User
I would like to know if there are any major changes planned for job #2 (ie HP/TRQ) and is there any typical changes coming for job #2 ? Also what kind of time frame is job #2 going to begin ?

Thanks

P.S. GREAT TRUCK Ford hit a homerun with this one..........

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
The_Juice
Junior User
Also and explanation of the new regen system, and how it compares to the 08 system.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Thom12
Senior User
turbo heat issues

By turning the 6.7 diesel heads, and placing the exhaust inboard you are able to greatly reduce the turbo lag and spool up time, great!

But placing the turbo in the hot valley like that surely seems like a reciepe for heat related turbo failures. What exactly has Ford done to over come this heat issue?

Also, why did Ford stick with Power Stroke name on the new motor? One would have thought new motor--new name. I like the Scorpion name used during R & D..... kind of took away the stigma of problem power strokes for me.

Thanks, great truck!

Thom

Last edited by Thom12; 05-31-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added second question
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
Chris,
I heard the 3.55 year is not available in the 4 x 2 SRW F-250/350 SD trucks with the diesel, If that is so, why isn't it? My concern is will the 3:31 axle ratio be enough to pull 15,000 lbs. adequately. I think the 3:73 ratio may lose some of the improved fuel mileage and not necessary with the new engine and trans, but I'm just not sure of the 3:31's capability.

I have the 3:73 axle in my 05, 6.0L and it does a great job and doesn't break a sweat pulling grades. I would like to hear from others what they tow and what axle ratio's they are using, especially the 4 x 2 trucks.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Question for Chris,

Since Ford has increased the size of the Ford logo, did they do anything to it to prevent rock chips cracking the logo thereby allowing water to seep under the clear plastic and destroying the logo like the problem with the current logos, especially since it's a much bigger target for rocks to hit it. BTW...I'm on my third Ford logo on my 05 Super Duty.

Thanks
Troy

Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris,
Q. What is the difference between an F250 4x4, 6.7L and F350 4x4 6.7L SRW, other than the GVWR.

Q. Why were the headlights lowered in 2008.

Q. With the Dodge SLT trim level you get the outside air temperature reading in the rear view mirror. I'm assuming the XLT and SLT are similar trim levels, so why do I have to get the Lariat trim just to get the outside air temperature. This may seem trivial but I have 2 "friends" that have SLTs and constantly give my a hard time that my $50K+ Ford doesn't know what the temperature is outside.
I know what you're thinking, get new friends.
So what about an upgrade for my 2011 XLT?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 AM
asphaltman
Senior User
I was wondering what the benefit or purpose of the felt type material in the front wheel wells are. I would think this would hold mud and water and be a disaster compared to the plastic... But what do I know.

Thanks for the info, and AWESOME truck!!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Chris Brewer
New User
Gearing Questions

Originally Posted by The_Juice
I would like to hear an explanation of the new transmission and its gearing. How its better than the old 5 speed that used higher rear end ratios, and what was the reason for the new set up, simply mileage?
The new six speed offers two key advantages from gearing perspective over the 5 speed--1) first gear is about 25% taller than the 5 speed, giving you better launch feel from dead stop; 2) 6th gear serves as a second overdrive gear, offering better highway fuel economy.

Given the increased HP and torque of the new engine plus the 6 speed gearing, we were able to drop the final drive ratios of the 2011 Super Duty down to 3.31 and 3.55 for our SRW configurations and significantly improve fuel economy, particularly at highway speeds.

The towing performance is significantly better than the outgoing model as is the fuel economy while towing. One brief example--while pulling a 10,000 lb trailer up Davis Dam in Arizona (110 degrees F, 6 to 7% grade for 11 miles), the top speed of an F250 with 3.31 FDR has improved from 57 to 72 mph while cresting the grade at the top. Bottom-line, the 2011 MY Super Duty gives you the best of both worlds--great towing performance and best in class fuel economy--with or without a trailer.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Chris Brewer
New User
Regen system--2011 MY vs prior model

Originally Posted by The_Juice
Also and explanation of the new regen system, and how it compares to the 08 system.
Average time/distance between regenerations has improved significantly from the prior product. This is primarily due to improvements in the engine combustion system- combustion chamber and fuel injection system. Fewer regens obviously result in better fuel economy--something we really focused on for the 2011 MY Super Duty.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Chris Brewer
New User
Front Wheel Well Material

Originally Posted by asphaltman
I was wondering what the benefit or purpose of the felt type material in the front wheel wells are. I would think this would hold mud and water and be a disaster compared to the plastic... But what do I know.

Thanks for the info, and AWESOME truck!!
The front wheel well material is designed to help shield the engine compartment from water and debris plus reduce radiated noise from the engine compartment. Don't worry--the material will handle water just fine--that is a very specific test that we do as part of our durability proveout.

Quick Reply: Questions for Chris Brewer - chief engineer for the 2011 Superduty