Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminium or Fiberglass cap?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
tames
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminium or Fiberglass cap?

Just ordered my 2010 F150 STX.

I am thinking of an aluminum cap so that it can be removed easily (lighter weight). I was searching on the web and found the EZ Lift hoist you install in the garage. With this option, I thought maybe the fiberglass cap would be a better idea. I was also trying to keep the cost down.

I like driving with the rear slider open in the cab. Are the aluminum caps much more noisy? Any opinions?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 PM
cford716
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been going thru this for several weeks now. I have a fiberglass cap now but want to go to just a cover on my new truck. I think I have decided on the DiamondBack covers. Seem to be well built and come off easier than a fiberglass cover. I posted a question if anyone has one on here but haven't gotten any replies. You can get the SE with the Lines-X coating direct from DiamondBack for $1200 total shipped to you.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both aluminum and fiberglass caps have their advantages. Light duty aluminum caps are lighter than glass but are less dent resistant. They also do not fit as closely against the cab as glass caps do. The heavier duty versions also can have side tool boxes but that kills the weight advantage. The open framing of an aluminum cap provides a place where some insulation can be placed and covered with paneling but, again, you would lose the weight advantage.

Glass caps usually look much better than aluminum and the better ones are more durable than all but the most sturdy aluminum caps. A well designed glass cap looks like it was on the truck when it rolled off the assembly line. But they are heavier than the aluminum caps. Two people can remove most aluminum caps. Most glass caps require four people, a hoist, jacks, or a forklift. Industrial versions can also have tool boxes in the sides.

Generally, the choice is whether you want light weight or looks.

I have a Leer 100RCC commercial cap on my '08 F-150 screw and it looks like the truck was born with it. It is cab high which gives the rig a smooth line from front to rear. This model has solid metal (no glass) tip up doors in place of windows on the side and can have optional tool boxes installed behind those doors (which I did). It cost a pretty penny but I figured if I was spending a small fortune for a truck, I may as well put something nice on the back. The guys at the shop I ordered it through were just as excited to get it in as I was to get it on my truck. They have been in the business for years and I was the first to order one like that. I love it. I can keep stuff out of sight and not worry about it going south. The side doors are locked with 1/4" rods at either end and a heavy plate at the bottom. It would take hydraulic jaws to pry those suckers open. I replaced the original locks (which everyone and their dog probably have keys for) with more pick resistant tubular locks. The inside is fully lined as is the inside of the side doors. Once I rig up some sanitary looking D rings for securing cargo inside the tool boxes, I'm going to line them, both for looks and to keep rattling down.

I had an aluminum cap on two different Rangers (same cap on two consecutive trucks) that I was happy with but I love this glass cap.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 05-27-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Tried to insert photo but it just laughed at me.