Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sounding Loud exhaust for 97 f-350 with 460 motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 93coleman
Zwut,noticed you had some bikes in your sig.
So do your zipperhead rice rockets have quiet pipes?I cant think of anything more obnoxious than some punk kid running 40mph in 1st gear at 13,000 rpm with a $400 coffee can exhaust with some bullshi* chinese symbols on it.Rather here a bigblock or a Harley with loud pipes anyday.
I don't know what a zipperhead is, but both the Husqvarna and Honda have stock pipes and my Hayabusa has a $1400 full exhaust on it with an extra internal silencer so that it is not loud either. You will rarely see me riding motorcycles in town because riding in town is not fun. Save that for the Hardley riders wobbling up and down the road, revving the **** out of their 1920's technology. I'm sorry I can't perpetuate your stereotype of the "punk kid."

Also, a Husqvarna is not a "rice rocket." It is an Italian bike but I wouldn't expect you to know that. Your post proves your ignorance.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:20 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a zipperhead is a a yellow person with eyes like this _ _ think bruce lee or jackie chan

and teehee, didn't know they made bikes, is it the same company that makes the chainsaws or no???

Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fatdan460
a zipperhead is a a yellow person with eyes like this _ _ think bruce lee or jackie chan

and teehee, didn't know they made bikes, is it the same company that makes the chainsaws or no???
Oh! So it's a racial slur; he was showing his maturity.

Yep, they make chainsaws and high end supermotos and dirtbikes. They were owned by MV Agusta back when mine was made (has the MV tag on the swingarm pivot) and are now owned by BMW.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok.

back on topic

I wish i could post video.

I have been told many times over my 96 crewcab has the perfect combo os sound and volume.

I am running Banks Torque Tubes w their y-pipe, 3" hi-flo cat, 3" flowmaster 20 series race muffler and a full 3" single custom bent exhaust.

it is loud, no doubt, i can set car alarms off from 50 feet away if i want. But it does sound so sweet

the only thing i dont like about it, is there is not quite enough restriction and i can make it crackle if i down shift wrong

Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
you said flowmaster, which losses my vote right there. they just sound raspy and anemic sounding to me, but its all personal preference.

btw, i love the "down cackle" as i always referred to it. pop from 3rd to 2nd going down a hill, man i miss that sound, wish i had a clip of it.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fatdan460
you said flowmaster, which losses my vote right there. they just sound raspy and anemic sounding to me, but its all personal preference.

btw, i love the "down cackle" as i always referred to it. pop from 3rd to 2nd going down a hill, man i miss that sound, wish i had a clip of it.
Yeah I HATE that and the sound of glasspacks in general

Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Get the kind of mufflers that do not attract Crown Vics or Chargers to constantly follow you.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM
deere55
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I'd just cut the exhaust off in front of the cat, get rid of all of it and call it done. Maybe make a turndown or something and weld it on there.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Dkrowland81
Senior User
Talking

I love how we can argue about just about everything on here, especially exhaust, which is totally different person to person almost. For an example, when I was in high school I loved the sound of chambered mufflers and hated the sound of glass packs, now 12 years later I dont much care for chambered mufflers anymore and like the sound of glass packs with tips. What I do agree with is cut the cat, I say that for this reason, my 89 F250 with a 460 was to the point where it was hardly pulling itself up small hills unloaded without losing 5-10 mph, the problem was the bonehead I bought it off of, drove it around town with a miss in it, this miss was caused from one plug wire not even on the spark plug, so basically my truck was running extremely rich and clogged the cat. Now currently waiting for my exhaust to be put on tomorrow I have been running around openn pipes, this is way too damn loud, I dont recommend this because it does sound horrible, but it is loud, too the point that you are yelling to talk under light acceleration and dont even try talking on the phone.
I do not recommend going 3" all the way, you get too large of pipes and you will lose some of your torque, you have to maintain a certain level of back pressure in order to keep your torque out of that motor. Granted on a 460 you're not going to kill its torque rating, its just a rule of thumb. What I did was go to you tube and search for different mufflers on the same motor as yours and you will get the tune you are looking for. It helped for me. Happy hunting

Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
jjsfrd
Junior User
I'm with Brad in terms of setup. Thorley long tubes to a Thorley Y, Magnaflow free flow cat, Flowmaster Super44 3" all the way. I like the sound a lot, nice deep mellow tone while idling or at cruising speeds, but, loud when stepped on.

I need a cat to pass visual but because of the rating of the truck I don't worry about emissions as far as passing smog.

J

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 PM
fakirone
Senior User
Originally Posted by zxwut?
Also, a Husqvarna is not a "rice rocket." It is an Italian bike but I wouldn't expect you to know that. Your post proves your ignorance.
Now. Originally they were Swedish. My Pops used to have an old Husky dirt bike. I loved that thing.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
fakirone
Senior User
I have the Banks Stingers system and I am pretty unsatisfied with the sound. I haven't pulled the cat yet, hopefully after I do I will be happier.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nighthawk285
Easy man, I wasn't trying to say that any particular thing was better than the others, and yes I know that the way a 351W is going to sound different than a 460 (larger engine, bigger explosion, bigger boom.....) ALSO, the OP wasn't asking for what performed best, merely what sounded the best......all a matter of opinion and personal preference.
Yesiree - I could not agree more on the personal preference! The BEST sounding pipes on a 460, at least to my ear is the FACTORY STOCK system.

IMO David!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
on my old carbed 460 i had l and l headers 3'' collectors into dual 2.5'' with 12'' long glasspacks that ran out to dual 3'' stacks. it literally was the best sounding and performing exhaust i have ever had on a 460.

i had a few different configurations on my efi f350 and that sound clip i posted with the long *** 3'' single no cat was the best i could get sound, power, and mileage wise. sounded way better driving than idling and revving.

i tried cat with 2.5 dual y pipe, no cat single glasspack with 2.5 dual y, and straight pipe to 2.5 dual y and none of them compared to the single 3'' in the power and mileage department, so drop the notion of backpressure and torque loss on a 460. i will say i'd never run dual 3'' on a stock motor, but thats about it.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
If you go with true duals, get some 2.5 inch pipes and some good mufflers like Dynomax Ultraflo or Magnaflow. The Ultraflo will be louder, but not rediculous. If you run a single get 3 inch or maybe 3.5 inch exhaust. I like the idea of using a high flow deisel muffler that was mentioned. Straight through mufflers are > than chambered mufflers.

Quick Reply: Best Sounding Loud exhaust for 97 f-350 with 460 motor