1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horror story (ball joints)and lessons learned.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horror story (ball joints)and lessons learned.

So I had planned my three day weekend to do ball joints and wheel bearings, my truck has 86k on all original. I wanted to get it done before I had problems, plus it's nice to have have back up bearings since they aren't stocked locally. I started the job friday night. The spring clip hub design is really nice, it come out like a champ. One clip and just pull.
However the snap ring on the axle shaft was a pita when you have cheap snap ring pliers. So I had an adult beverage and called it a night.
Today I got up found a pair of blue point snap ring pliers with the dive gear. They worked like a champ, the snap ring came right on out. Then I unbolted the wheel hub assy, making note of the dust shield orientation. Nice and easy once I gave up tapping on the wrench and just pulled the heck out of it. The upper ball joint drops out pretty easy, but the lower doesn't.
This is where my day gets frustrating. I barrow a vehicle and go to town trying to find a pickle fork and the hub studs, and come back with a tie rod pickle ford and the only stud being me. I have an adult beverage and get back to work(having lunch before going to town.)
The tie rod end pickle fork doesn't do the job. I heated it up with a propane torch and made it work for the job.
Things started to break my way. The knuckle dropped off. The rented ball joint tool from advanced auto finally goes into work and the air impact makes it really easy. I thought I had the job licked.
The new ball joints go in nice and smooth. The new knuckle seal is another story. It's an absolute pain, never going on straight or easy. I finally decided it was going on no matter how it tried to start.
Beating and framing on it to get it flush isn't the best idea, but it does work (At least until later.) Finally getting the $50 knuckle seal in place, I start putting it all back together. Ball joints go up without too much trouble. The lower did try to spin and keep me from getting a decent torque spec on it, but pressing the stud up into the knuckle seated enough to put ~60lbs on it.
In some of the earlier hassling around, I swapped the studs from the old bearing to the new bearing, but now I was putting on the new bearing. However, the studs had warped slightly and wouldn't slide into the knuckles without some adjustment. Basically spinning the studs in the bearing flange. It goes together.
Then I get it and the dust shield bolted back on, when I realize the dust shield is on backwards to way it should be but looks right for most other applications. So off it comes. I torque it back down to 130+ and I find the washer with the grooves wasn't on before hand. So off again. Third time is a charm and things break my way.
The hub goes on, rotor, caliper and I set the nut on the tie rod end and put the cotter pin in. However the yellow flies set in on me. I got the caliper set, wheel back on and everything seem right. Time for a strong adult beverage since I have to work tomorrow.
Lessons learned.
The lower balljoints must have a pickle fork and the ones discount sells don't cut the mustard without modification.
The knuckle seal really tied my patients, to point of breaking it completely.
Put the plastic washer with grooves on before bolting down the hub and the dust shield goes deep not shallow. Good tools make all the difference.
Strong adult beverages make it all better when your done and you don't mind so much doing the same job on the other side.
formatting doesn't work so well when your loaded.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReAX
Good tools make all the difference.
That is the key!

Old 05-14-2010, 11:19 PM
rayrayyj
Junior User
I'll chime in...so you feel better!

I changed out the seals, u-joints and ball joints, thought I was a champ when everything came off in decent time (after reading some others painful stories). However, as you say, the knuckle seal was a royal pain in the *** to get off...but not so much to get on, I managed that part!

The U-joint were terrible, almost made me give up b/c they were so rusted and I bent the yokes...all fixed, but not fun.

And yes, I put the damn dust shield on backwards, got everything all snug and done, went to put the rotor back on and it was a no go...back off.

I can look back now and say it was all worth it, but boy it was a PITA, no doubt.

With that said, I could, and would, do it again, probably pretty quick, but that is the same with any job!

Well done - I feel your pain!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Side two is started and the learning curve is showing off now. I am half way through, Where I was the following noon. The ball joints are pretty stuck, but I've got some Kroil soaking now.
Hopefully tomorrow they'll pop free and continue going as quickly.