Anyone have the DiamondBack cover? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the DiamondBack cover?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
cford716
Elder User
cford716 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by onug View Post
I don't think the corners will start to warp up, these things are pretty solid. My SE is held on by four "C" clamps (like those used to hold on canopies) in the middle and then the locking mechanism at each corner. I've never seen an HD model, but I'd guess it is held on in a similar fashion.

The Line-X treatment is the way too go. I love being able to throw stuff up on my cover or shove it around in my garage (when I take it off) and not worry about the surface. If mine has any dents or scratches, they're blending in nicely because I can't see them.

As for freezing, the cover will freeze to the rails when it gets cold. I've got a gnarly ice scraper and use it to pry the cover open during the morning "Ice Scraping" olympics. It usually opens easily.

The cover isn't perfect by any means, but it's held up great for me. If I was to do it over, the only thing I'd change is to get the HD model.
I agree with everything except that the only time I have seen it freeze is if its raining and then the temp drops. I live in buffalo, and have not had any trouble with freezing from snow.

I also say go with the Line-X. Tough stuff and I also didn't want to be polishing. I would have liked to have gone with the HD but couldn't justify the cost, the SE is all I have need for. I also would have gotten the cab guard, that will be my next purchase.

Do not regret this purchase, highly recommend it. Especially if you want to be able to carry something on top.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
tikka
New User
tikka is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wonder is applying wax or a silicon (stay put) product on the seals might keep them from freezing together. SOmething that wouldn't degrade the seal material.

So it is the seals freezing?

Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
tikka
New User
Originally Posted by onug View Post
As for freezing, the cover will freeze to the rails when it gets cold. I've got a gnarly ice scraper and use it to pry the cover open during the morning "Ice Scraping" olympics. It usually opens easily.

The cover isn't perfect by any means, but it's held up great for me. If I was to do it over, the only thing I'd change is to get the HD model.

How do you ice scrape the seals.. ? Are they exposed when the top is down?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 PM
onug
Posting Guru
onug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to all
The freezing happens between the seals and the plastic rail covers on the truck. I don't scrape the seals, I just use the scraper as a pry bar to pop the back open.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM
tikka
New User
I would think most of the designs have this problem. I was wondering if one of the rubber/tire products would reduce the freezing gluing action from happening. Something like ArmorAll or a wipe with WD-40. In the past on my doors I applied Armorall throughout the summer - nothing in the winter and no frozen doors (seal to frame). I reduced my applications in the summer time to about "0" and now I have my doors freezing..... (on the old truck). I need to get back to applying the product - seems to keep freezing to a minimum.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
onug
Posting Guru
onug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to allonug is a name known to all
That's an interesting idea and it sounds reasonable. I might try it if I get a chance this season

Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
Had the HD cover on the previous truck and sold it. I actually miss that cover, very versatile and so easy to remove and put on. This Leer cap that came with my current truck looks nice but leaks much more than the diamondback ever did. Mine only leaked from the front corners of the bed where the plastic bed rails and front bed rail met and left a hole the size of a pencil eraser. Other than that dry as a bone. The Leer cap leaks in at least 4 places (3 in the roof, 1 window seal) but it is probably 4-5 years old.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
tikka
New User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty View Post
Had the HD cover on the previous truck and sold it. I actually miss that cover, very versatile and so easy to remove and put on. This Leer cap that came with my current truck looks nice but leaks much more than the diamondback ever did. Mine only leaked from the front corners of the bed where the plastic bed rails and front bed rail met and left a hole the size of a pencil eraser. Other than that dry as a bone. The Leer cap leaks in at least 4 places (3 in the roof, 1 window seal) but it is probably 4-5 years old.

I am struggling with the decision to buy a diamondback. I have always had caps on my toyota trucks. I know it looks like a great product, but can I live with it...... what the hell I guess....

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tikka View Post
I am struggling with the decision to buy a diamondback. I have always had caps on my toyota trucks. I know it looks like a great product, but can I live with it...... what the hell I guess....

Worth every penny in my opinion. I looked at fiberglass lids, UnderCover, Pace Edwards Roll Up, BakFlip, etc...... This just seemed unbreakable compared to the others, the HD version that is.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
cford716
Elder User
cford716 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tikka View Post
I was in the same position you are. I had always had caps, but only really needed it once a year for a vacation and I didn't like the looks of them as much as just a cover. I solved my vacation problem with the Diamondback because I put a car carrier on top of it for the extra room I need. Otherwise I normally leave it on and can quickly take just half off or the whole thing depending what I need.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
tikka
New User
Originally Posted by cford716 View Post
I was in the same position you are. I had always had caps, but only really needed it once a year for a vacation and I didn't like the looks of them as much as just a cover. I solved my vacation problem with the Diamondback because I put a car carrier on top of it for the extra room I need. Otherwise I normally leave it on and can quickly take just half off or the whole thing depending what I need.

Well ordered one early in the week. They had the lineX in stock for the RAPTOR. Will keep you posted. I agree with your thoughts. I like the idea I can stand on it if I need to without damaging it. With freight and taxes etc.. $2000.00

Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
BigDfromTN
Senior User
BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hello all,

Looking at the SE model as I dont normally top haul but like the option.

Question is... how well does the polished look hold up. I am leaning to the polished alum but curious as to what kind of maintaince it will require to remain bright.

TIA,
Don

Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
TruckDaddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
It would be the same as a diamond plate aluminum toolbox. It will become less shiney unless you polish it up.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM
onug
Posting Guru
Don't forget about dents and scratches. The Line-x cover helps protect against those as well

Old 05-29-2012, 04:15 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
Mine lost it's original shine, but only because I didn't polish it. Plus I was always putting stuff on top as I used it for work and not just for looks. If I ever got another one I would get the line-x option. Then I wouldn't need to worry about polishing, plus the line-x version would look better with my black truck. Great cover either way. I do like the additional storage room my current cap has though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have the DiamondBack cover?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.