1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of Park assist Module (PAM)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey J
Thanks dude, I will look up there to see where they have wedged in. I hope it is there.
Hope that helps. I also de-activate the system when I'm towing.
Good Luck Man!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Mickey J
Freshman User
Originally Posted by grec-o-face
Hope that helps. I also de-activate the system when I'm towing.
Good Luck Man!
Hey thanks again. The photos helped enormusly. Once I get mine back online, I might wire in a shutoff like you did. I will probably use one of my uploader switches to give it a clean look.

Today I broke down and had the Stealers look at my Park Assist troubles. The truck had to go in and have the instrument cluster replaced anyway. They read the computer codes and diagnosed it to a faulty backup sensor. The bast***s charged me a cool "C" note for 10 mins of work. I think I am in the wrong line of work. At least now I know which one has s**t the bed.

I have ordered two off of EBAY for $20 and should get them in about a week. The Stealer wanted $300.00 to change it out for me. I don't think so!!!

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
The dealer's diag tools allow them to see each sensor's input/output individually. Kind of a handy tool for finding problem sensors.

I like the idea of wiring to an upfitter. If I had upfitters, it's exactly what I would do.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey J
The bast***s charged me a cool "C" note for 10 mins of work. I think I am in the wrong line of work. At least now I know which one has s**t the bed.
You know, this kind of attitude really pisses off the technicians and anyone else who works for a living. You couldn't even find the damn thing, let alone diagnose it, and you have the gaul to complain that it cost you $100 to have a professional fix your truck. I told you at the top of the thread that it was probably just a sensor. I'm sorry I even tried to help.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Mickey J
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bpounds
You know, this kind of attitude really pisses off the technicians and anyone else who works for a living. You couldn't even find the damn thing, let alone diagnose it, and you have the gaul to complain that it cost you $100 to have a professional fix your truck. I told you at the top of the thread that it was probably just a sensor. I'm sorry I even tried to help.

Looks like I struck a nerve with you. You know I don't mind paying for things, as long as I can get good value for my money, but for 10 mins of work, that just seems a little steep. Buddy didn't even have to crawl under the truck.

Today all a technician has to do is hook up a computer to the diagnostic port and wait to see what the computer tells him to do. I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if I could afford to light my cuban cigars with a "C" note, or wipe my *** with 24k gold leaf! But unlike you, I don't have $100 bills falling out of my pockets. I did however appreciate your assistance earlier, but feel free to not reply to any more of my threads in the future. They only seem to give you a case of the perverbial Red ***!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
girphant
New User
Did anyone come up with a test of the individual pickups to find a bad one?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
2006 F250 4x4 Crew Cab PAM Parking Assist Module etc

Same or similiar problem others have had, and it just stopped working a couple of days ago. Putting the truck in reverse the RSS goes "off" (light on), thus no sound (beep).

The four sensors on the back look perfect LOL (as does the whole truck), and back up lights work on the truck LOL.

I do not hear any clicks from the four sensors; but I suppose that is because when in "Reverse" the button light (RSS light) turns on saying "OFF" so therefore the sensors would not be clicking?

Where is the PAM located in my truck? And is there a separate fuse to check?.......I do not see a fuse listed in my Ford Owners Manual for the RSS so maybe it shares a circuit with some other fuse?

I can check wiring, connectors, and fuses; just need to locate the fuses and PAM to check connections there.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
TucoSoCal
New User
I know where my PAM is....

I have been having a problem with my backup assist. It took me quite awhile to find mine. I have a 2006 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab. It is located behind the drivers seat (on the left) in the center plastic pilar between the front and rear door that houses the seat belt assy. You must remove the handel at the top and start from the top down and eventually the whole panel will pop off. One note - you must also remove the plastic cap and nut holding the seatbelt metal piece. My unit is at the very bottom held in with double back sticky tape. The sensors come up from underneath the truck and plug right into the box. Power, goound, and transducer wires go alonng the foot panel past the parking brake and reside in there.I hope this helps. BTW, does any one know where to get the transducer or buzzer as mine was damaged. I have not had any luck trying to find one.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Originally Posted by TucoSoCal
I have been having a problem with my backup assist. It took me quite awhile to find mine. I have a 2006 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab. It is located behind the drivers seat (on the left) in the center plastic pilar between the front and rear door that houses the seat belt assy. You must remove the handel at the top and start from the top down and eventually the whole panel will pop off. One note - you must also remove the plastic cap and nut holding the seatbelt metal piece. My unit is at the very bottom held in with double back sticky tape. The sensors come up from underneath the truck and plug right into the box. Power, goound, and transducer wires go alonng the foot panel past the parking brake and reside in there.I hope this helps. BTW, does any one know where to get the transducer or buzzer as mine was damaged. I have not had any luck trying to find one.
Yes thanks that will help if I go on to the next step.

At this point, I have done the "hearing test".

1. Truck is turned off - not running.
2. Turn ignition switch "on" but do not start.
3. Put in "reverse" - still not running - it does not matter if the Button light is on or off - on means off those sensors still should be clicking.
4. Smash my ear up against the four sensors on the back bumper, one of them was not "clicking" so I ordered a new one on Ebay, less than half the dealer price.............should be here next week. Note: It has to be quiet outside to hear that "click click click etc" sounds. If there is a lot of wind or car noise you may not hear the darn things.

If I am lucky? that should fix it, if not it will be on the wiring to the PAM, at least it is in that left door pillar and should make things easy - it was the far left sensor to be replaced.

Thanks again, I will post my results next week.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM
HoustonPerson
Senior User
Beeping Once Again

Ok, completed the repairs: That was replacing 1 of the 4 Reversing Sensors. There are two types you can buy on EBay. One is the exact match to the Black ones that come on the truck (chrome bumpers with black reversing sensors) – that is the type I got for an exact match. For $10 less you can get painted black one that really do not match the originals.

The prices on Ebay are less than half what the dealer would charge for the same part.

So the “hearing test” I used from above solved the problem. If it was to get further involved with wiring or the PAM, I most likely would have gone to the dealer. Needless to say I saved a few hundred.

Getting the old part out was a little bit of work just because of the dirt, lighting etc.

Installing the new part was easy, and you can "test it" before you snap it back in the bumper. That way you know it works so you do not have to take it out again.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 PM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the same issue as posted above. I'm unsure what the best way is to proceed. I have tried the "hearing" test.. The outside ones (far right and far left) I can hear, but are VERY faint.. where as the two inside ones are for sure working.

As soon as I go to reverse it instantly goes to the "off" position where it lights up. if I go to another gear, i can manually turn it back on and the light will go off. But as soon as I go back into reverse, light comes back on. I would imagine all of the "clicks" should make the same noise. Anyone have a better idea as to what I should test? It worked when I first purchased it.. And for a crew cab dually, its nice to have...

Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This system drove me nuts also anytime the tailgate is down or your hooked to a trailer.....beep, beep, beep

After i put my Winch Bumper's on i unplugged/removed that big harness that all the sensors are attached too & placed it in a bag in the garage.

No more beeping, which was not needed anyway since i have a Back-Up Camera

Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM
mlux2008
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
This system drove me nuts also anytime the tailgate is down or your hooked to a trailer.....beep, beep, beep

After i put my Winch Bumper's on i unplugged/removed that big harness that all the sensors are attached too & placed it in a bag in the garage.

No more beeping, which was not needed anyway since i have a Back-Up Camera

I'm trying to figure out why mine ISN"T working... Its kinda nice to have on a crew cab dually...

Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Silly idea but I would like to have a setup for the front bumper.
Damm Honda cars disappear under the front bumper so very easy.
I have yet to crunch one..........yet

Sean

Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 PM
michael_g
New User
getting the PAM to work.

Hey all,

I'm in the process of diagnosing my backup sensor and PAM. I had the shop do a diagnostic on it and origially they said it was the left read sensor and maybe the PAM. After replacing those myself, nothing changed. I took it back into a different shop and now they're telling me that the new PAM needs to be reprogrammed. Now, I done a lot of searching and even in this thread you guys mention replacing it for a 2003 Expedition but nowhere have I found that this needs to be reprogrammed, which they say takes 3 hours to do.
Has anyone had this experience.
PS: This is the first dealer to say this and there is not mention of this on the part itself.

Quick Reply: Location of Park assist Module (PAM)