1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Passenger touring/ performance tires for our trucks...any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Passenger touring/ performance tires for our trucks...any advice?

I am going tire shopping (buying) tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for passenger touring or performance tires for our trucks. Are there any particular brands to use or brands to avoid? What kind do you have on yours, and how pleased are you with how they've held up?

I am not in the least bit interested in getting A/Ts, and I don't care about raised white letters. All I need is a good non-whitewall passenger tire that will perform well, look good, hold up well, and most importantly, not drive me into the poorhouse.

I only drive my truck on paved (and sometimes, but rarely, dirt) roads, I do not haul any weight to speak of with my truck, and I am looking for the best highway ride, handling, and quiet I can get. Truck tires don't match my theme, either. The Pirelli Scorpions that are on it now do not look right, but that's OK because they are shot anyway.

Oh, and the size I am using is 235/75/R15, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Sayer Lane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Radial T/A. Great Tires in my opinion, but its all up to you in the long run

Old 05-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Shooter00
Senior User
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 PM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running the Michelin LTX M/S tires size of 235/75/R15. The last set I had on my truck were the same thing and they lasted a good 12 years. I replaced them after I noticed they had some tiny dry cracks on the side wall. Better to be safe than sorry and have one blow-out. The first set I ever put on were some Yokohama's that looked really good, but didn't last very long. I really like these Michelin's.

OJ

Old 05-08-2010, 01:41 AM
CheeksMcDuke
Senior User
I've got Mastercraft Avenger GT 275/60/15 on mine and they are an enormous improvement over my original 225/75/15 tires. I live in one of the Raniest places in the US ( Kitsap County, WA) and I've never had a problem with wet traction and only had a problem with ice once. They grip the road well and ride nicely. I'm going to try BF Goodrich next time just to see, though.

Here is the link
Mastercraft Tires 39715 - Mastercraft Avenger G/T Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Here is a summit search for tires of similar size.
Tires - SummitRacing.com

Hope I helped.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I had to get them today, and my options turned out to be very limited.

I went with Champiro GT A/S radials for $332 installed because they had the best treadwear rating (460) and, to me, the best tread pattern. They are also 50,000 mile tires and I had them installed at my usual tire place, so I get free rotation, free rebalancing (if necessary) and a reputable warranty. I really couldn't beat the price, and the only compromise I had to make was that they were whitewalls...of course, I had the shop turn them in.

We'll see how they do...the reviews I have been able to find seem to be mostly good...that they have great grip and last a long time, though not many people have even heard of them. I have to say I am just happy to have a rot-free, full tread, and balanced set of tires on now. That's right, I've been driving on 3 unbalanced wheels and tires since I got the bulletholes...and there is no loose rust on the truck anymore!

Oh, and I had them installed on my slots...check out my GT500 truck build thread later tonight to see pics.

BTW- I think the Scorpions knew they were being replaced. Two were almost totally flat this morning...they weren't last night.