1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pulling Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling Motor

just started workin on a new project, bought a 51 ford f2. 239 flathead and me and a few buddies were disconnecting everything getting ready to pull the motor and coouldnt find an easy way to disconnect the shifter from the tranny, it is the last thing i have to do. anyone got any ideas?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Welcome to FTE.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think you are supposed to pull the engine out without the transmission, and pull the transmission out through the hole in the cab floor board (there's a large opening with a cover plate there that will give youaccess to the shift) shift and all. You would disconnect the stick.

We will need a little more info: is this a 3 speed heavy duty or a four speed transmission - I'm assuming floor shift - not column

Here are pictures of both shifters. Note the difference in shift handle cone height and number of shafts as a quick reference used to distinguish the two transmissions.

Name:  Shifter 3 spd HD.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  257.4 KB

Name:  Shifter 4 Speed.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  317.7 KB

Old 05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
4 speed tranny, original, 68k miles on it bought it for 1500 bucks um, floor shifter, original motor., any other info??? and so disconnect the tranny from engine ????

Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes. Disconnect the transmission from the engine and pull them out seperately - engine out the front, transmission out of the cab.

The procedure is described in the 49-51 (with 52 Suppliment) Ford Truck Shop Manual. Which I know you bought to refer to having saved all that money on the truck.

Oh? Don't have one? I'd get one - and soon!

Here they are on e-bay:

Manuals Literature, buy and sell Parts Accessories, Aviation on eBay Motors

Be sure it says "With 52 Suppliment" on the cover. The "Original" printing only went to 51 (as listings 6 and 9 show)

Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look at the pic julie posted . you see that roll pin goes in at the base ??? you knock it out and a nut around the base of the shifter there ( no. 7228 ) and it will pull straight out . no muss no fuss . but in all honesty considering the weight of the flatty , and i know i have one in my 53 , one in the 52 customline , and had several others out of the cars in and out of here !! , and the weight of that t98 in my 53 ( like 145 pounds i think ) , i'd pull the shifter , then seperate the trans and flatty . it'll save your back and your lift will thank you ...................

Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Well I have never been able to successfully been able to pull a 4 speed out the cab. Also I just thought of this Its a wacky idea, but to be 100% sure that nobody can hotwire your f1 and steal it just take the nut off the bottom of the shifter and take the shifter with ya! can you see someone with a shifter in their pocket as a key?? I have had the nuts come loose on the shifters before and come out while moving. That is a surprise!

Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Are you by any chance pulling the engine and trans to put different ones in? If so, and you are going to remove the trans crossmember in one peice (by removing the rivets) I'd be interested in the crossmember. Maybe in the engine, too. Where are you?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
im rebuilding the whole flathead. ok im gonna sound really stupid but...... this is MY first rebuild, i have done multiple rebuilds mainly on DSM's with friends such as an eclipse, laser, stealth vr4, all of them AWD turbos, then i had a great idea of buying this truck. lol. we are pulling the motor out of it tomarrow and i plan on to a full on rebuild/restore to OEM specs, i did buy the book btw but i didnt get it in time for earlier in the day. if anyone has any tips feel free to PM me i have a feeling ill be on here alot first ford, dont let me down, if it works out it will be replacing my daily driver 04 chevy impala , thanks guys

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the words of the great Bobby,

"Owning a Ford is like stepping on your own *****!"

Welcome to the club.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:37 AM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
In the words of the great Bobby,

"Owning a Ford is like stepping on your own *****!"

Welcome to the club.
???? u trying to say im pretty ballsy, i mean for touching the ground and all lol, thanks though. lol

btw im into SPL competitions, thats another story, is the acoustics in ure panels good??? i might be looking into one of those to put my spare 18 inch fi btls in i got two sitting around and i need a huge box lol.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
don't let anyone tell you a flathead is unreliable . i drove mine every day in all conditions including severe heat . she never failed other than a bad coil , to get me where i was going . the only reason she's been down is bad wiring , rewire , and i need to replace the valve springs . they are forgiving critters too . i used mine and abused it and she gave 100 percent period . no excuses . you'll be happy , just don't expect 400 horse and be fast . that isn't gonna happen . as far as rebuilding or working on them well .... find a machine shop that knows what the hades they are doing with a flatty ! i had a guy who bought my spare ones , early ones , as the local know it alls at tim wilkersons machine shop f-ed his up by putting a stud through a water jacket then told him it was like that ......... my favorite saying is that they are briggs and strattons experimental 8 cylinder high performance 8 cylinder mower motor ................. they are that simple . go with an electronic ignition too . big difference and no points to play with . p.s where in this corn patch are you at . got a few of us in the springpatch and peoria area here .............

Old 05-06-2010, 07:50 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Glad to hear you're staying with the stock drivetrain! Take a good look at the internals, it may not need a full rebuild. Lots of flathead advice here: Ford Flathead V8 .. 1932 thru 1953 • Index page

Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM
3rdshiftDiscretion
Junior User
ure from the Peoria area???? holy crap im in washington about 10 min out of peoria. ! if u have any tips or know any place to go that knows what they are doing. i know im going to need my heads hot tanked as there is rust inside them . its not too bad and is fixable but gotta get it done. i dont expect full on rebuild thats why i only purchase minimal stuff at this point. once i pull the motor and were start disassemblimg i will know exactly what im lookin at. ill post tonight giving some details. if u want pics ill take a few too???
also i need to replace the ignition system anyways just because that needs to be done to even start the truck as i lost the key somewhere when i bought it go figure...... links on the ignition system would be much appreciated .

Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
nope im from springfield . jeff and nichole are from up yer way , and i believe we got one more guy up there somewhere . try looking at : reds headers and speed equipment for fords , speedway , flathead jack , summit { by engine not year } jegs , the hot rod company , mooneyes , schneider and isky cams , procomp has ignition systems , totally stainless , h&h aka flatheads forever , just to name a few . bring your own towel for wiping up the drool ......

Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
HD74
Elder User
I pulled my engine and transmission out as one unit. The shifter is pretty straight forward just remove the transmission access cover. With the cover removed the tranny is now accessible. In the diagram that Julie supplied the round cover is threaded with a normal right-hand thread, remove and now you have access to the small pin. Once removed your good to go.

Quick Reply: Pulling Motor