Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79' F-150 with 4' bed

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tell everyone you painted it 55 T-bird y-block orange.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There we go thanks alpha. I needed a defense. I knew I was going to catch hell for the orange!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
that thing is sweet!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!! Just fired it for the first time about an hour ago. Started right up without even having to monkey with the dist timing. I couldnt believe it! Sounds mean and seems to run great, even at idle! Now if I can just figure out a way to get the B&M shifter hooked up I will take it for a drive. Should be interesting running 29" tires with 5.13's, dont think I want to put the new big tires on it to run it on the street.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

4 wheel burnouts FTMFW. vids must follow.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Well its time to bring this thread back to life! It was a long winter of no wrenching! I got this thing fired up and driven into the back yard in November. From there it got a car cover and then shrunk wrapped. I work for a yacht dealership so shrink wrap is no problem although I was nervous about doing it to a painted vehicle! I finally got out there today and cut the shrink wrap off!!! I am ready to make some progress. When I got it running in fall there was already salt on the road so I still havent driven it. Hoping to change that this weekend. I have only driven it from the garage to the back yard. Tonight after I cut the shrink wrap off, I threw a batery in it and hit the key and........... like it was just ran yesterday fired up! Made my heart jump! No smoke, no knocks, nothing........ I work tomorrow but after 4 pm I am going to get back on this thing. My club is going to the cliffs in IL on june 5th and I plan on having this thing there! Wish me luck! I'll have new pics and updates, maybe even a video tomorrow!

Also, shrink wrapping for the winter...... awesome! Cut the shrink wrap off and it was beautiful, never seen a truck so clean! Especially after sitting under 3 giant trees all winter. Highly recomended! $20 worth of shrink wrap def not a waste!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
holy shyte, i thought you left the site. good to hear you'll be getting at it.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
I'm still around, I have been on FTE for 10 years+, i'll always be here. I just had a super heavy school load this winter and nowhere to work on the truck so i had to put it on hold for the winter. But she is uncovered and begging to be finished. Also I picked up another '79 Bronco a few nights ago and i finished my final exams yesterday! So I am all primed up and ready to wrench!!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
So this weekend came and went with no progress because the place where I had been keeping it said I couldnt work on it there anymore. No big deal. Got her moved tonight and took it for a drive! Holy #$%#^%!!!!! 460 + C6 + 5.13 gears and short wheelbase on tiny little roller tires (stock tires off an econoline van) + big empty parking lot = a lot of fun! I am very impressed with this machine so far. Unfortunatly i was alone so nobody to take videos. One bad thing, not sure if i mentioned it earlier. My drivers side head is making a lot of noise. Dove heads and unfortunately I now remember that the motor those heads came off of had 2 smashed spark plugs and 2 bent connecting rods. So i assume this head will need major work. Good news is I have another set of heads that had been recently rebuilt by Napa. So I guess I will throw those on and then take the current heads in for repair. The motor runs great, but there is definite noise coming from that head. Is there anything I should consider doing before ripping this motor apart again? I hate to pull it apart since it is running so great but I dont want the head to grenade. I am no motor expert but honestly it just sounds like the rocker arms are loose. When I installed them I tightened them to the rated spec. Is there anything else I should have done??

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
I'm back! After getting frustrated with not being able to figure out how to get the right pushrod length, I am ready to take another stab at getting this project done! Its so damn close! I have been searching all morning on figuring out how to get the right pushrod length but have gotten nowhere, i even called a few speed shops to see if they would just do it for me. they said no, they don't work on whole vehicles, so frustrated!! I am determined though! Anyone feel like giving me some guidance? this thing ran great before I put the cam kit in, now several of the pushrods are always loose, i got an adjustable pushrod checker but not really sure what to do with it! The problem is that some of the nuts on top of the rocker arms are bottomed out and the pushrods are still not tight.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude i love your truck!!! i will be following this thread!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Thanks, I am on a mission to get it wheelable. Should be some updates soon.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
im on a mission to get my truck running again lol..i can only imagine your pain having not be able to drive it at all lol.. mines only been down for a week and im jonesing! lol

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
lannondiesel
Senior User
Great article, that is exactly what i was looking for. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks

Quick Reply: 79' F-150 with 4' bed