6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:51 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
I am as dyed in the wool a manual guy as there is and paid dues on the 1320 always loving it when some slushbox lined up against me, I KNEW I was gonna win that heat.

My FIRST automatic I bought solely for myself was my '11 F 350 CC DRW. Oh I have owned some autos, but they were a compromise with a sig other who could not or would not make the leap. I did just buy a new car, '15 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and as its mine and not the wifes its got a 6 spd man and I love it.

In todays world the auto is hands down above and beyond any manual out there. Other than the handshake and a place to rest your palm the man just does not stack up to a modern auto.

My Jeep has a neat feature: It locks up the brakes for a few seconds if you are on an incline/hill and gives you time to shift to 1st before it releases. The new Corvette has a feature I also like: RPM matching and allows you to really BANG those gears using no clutch.

As for a manual: NOTE, Dodge RAM 3500 with big diesel putting out 800+ lbs of torque does it ONLY with an auto, the manual trans in the Ram 3500 is only 660 lbs of torque.

My guess is Ford would have to do same-same or come up with a manual ONLY for the big diesel and you might not like it...to meet tow/haul numbers and handle 800+++ torque, but on a lot of gears, 1 / 2 would be DEEP to get the rig moving since it going straight to the gears and not thru a torque converter. I would also guess to handle that kind of torque you would be looking at 'straight cut' gears for max torque capacity.

Then and if that is not enough, you have a lot of driveline shock, look to replace u joints and do axle work on a regular basis and that poor clutch, of course you can double it up.

Adding a man will drive up costs in the entire driveline initial cost and in long term maintenance costs. Unless the driveline is designed for a man set up you could be looking a MAJOR costs to replace worn components. Yea, clutch job sounds simple, lord knows I have done enough over the years and recently did one on a F 150. But the 6.7 is not designed for it and ask why a clutch job on a Ferrari averages over $10k and can climb to $50k.

I am afraid old school days are gone: In my 1320 days, I could pull the Muncie and replace a syncro ring or put in a new clutch in less than 1 HOUR, the time allocated for a repair before your next run. Today you can barely check the air pressure on a dually in one hour...

Do like I just did, buy a Jeep...

Old 09-21-2015, 07:56 AM
cagg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok I see all your points, I'm just the real old school where less is better less to break , I'm happy with regular cab 8' bed , crank windows a heater and a radio the one I have someone talked me into a/c but have yet to use it. but the truck is something I can actually use for a truck, not paying 50 grand and have to be afraid to scratch the paint

Old 09-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno.
I hope I never have to replace springs in a dual mass flywheel again. And you can bet you will hear a lot more flywheel noise now that these engines are so quiet.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,614 Likes on 1,641 Posts
I guess that I am very old school......spent a good share of my life driving twin sticks (5X4), 10 speed RR, 13 speed RR, 18 speed RR, and don't miss the clutch one damn bit! 😀 I find this 6R140 transmission just completely relaxing to drive. All I do is just put it in D and go, and use the tow/haul when towing! And turn n the ebrake when towing, the truck almost drives itself! What is not to like? 😀😀😀

Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 PM
cagg
New User
well that's my point, it's so boring,i had full intentions of getting an auto when I got this one, but after I test drove and almost fell asleep I ordered a stick, so for me it may be more of something to do and I like shifting gears, if I lived near a big city maybe I'd have different thoughts

Old 09-21-2015, 01:01 PM
cagg
New User
basically it all comes down to freedom of choice which we are loosing a lot of in every way, if I went to buy a mustang I can get a stick or auto which is good I don't critique anyone for their choice but when I want a stick in a truck the communists at ford tell me I cant have it

Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,992 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by cagg
basically it all comes down to freedom of choice which we are loosing a lot of in every way, if I went to buy a mustang I can get a stick or auto which is good I don't critique anyone for their choice but when I want a stick in a truck the communists at ford tell me I cant have it
There could be any number of reasons for FoMoCo not to offer a manual transmission in our trucks, but one of the reasons at the top of the list has to be there is not a sufficient ROI (return on investment). I'm pretty certain it's not because FoMoCo is a communist company. Have you considered a Ram? They offer a manual transmission and because of our great nation, you are FREE to choose them because of it.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:35 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
There could be any number of reasons for FoMoCo not to offer a manual transmission in our trucks, but one of the reasons at the top of the list has to be there is not a sufficient ROI (return on investment). I'm pretty certain it's not because FoMoCo is a communist company. Have you considered a Ram? They offer a manual transmission and because of our great nation, you are FREE to choose them because of it.

They sure do and it comes with ONLY 660 lbs of torque instead of the 800+ the autos get.

NO, Ford is not a communist company, there are plenty of communist companies out there, you can find them in countries across the world. Many of them build autos, few of them build an auto that would haul 800 lbs let alone give your 800 lbs of torque to haul 30,000+ lbs.

The roads are littered with the hulks of communist built cars and remember, they don't build it your way, they build it the governments way. Check out those Yugo's, they got a stick

17 Oaks, killing commies for Christ and taxpayers since 1967.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
As somebody who loves driving stick(and who still drives one).....

it's not coming back, no matter how many petitions are signed.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:26 PM
cagg
New User
I have went to dodge just today think I'm going to order it later this week. I didn't really mean they are a communist, company just run like one as for the roi argument that's what drug companies have been claiming and getting some to believe it, that has worked out well for us. but I think you guys are more into it than me I don't have a diesel (yet) and never wanted one , I dont pull a trailer if it dont fit in the bed it dont go, so tourqe and all that I could care less about, in the 80's I had a 1976 half ton chevy 350 3 speed that I pulled a 16 ft boat with and it worked fine, now I pull no trailers so if they cant make a 5 speed 40 years later that can be at least as good then they should give up

'

Old 09-22-2015, 07:54 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
As somebody who loves driving stick(and who still drives one).....

it's not coming back, no matter how many petitions are signed.
Good point. What we need here is an Executive Order.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
Iceking007
New User
I am totally signing your petition!

Last night I built myself a brand new 2018/2019 f250 ($70,000 MSRP). I would buy one in a heart beat of they had the proper transmission and transfer case!

(I personally think the 2018 f250 is the best looking, featured, designed truck of the century)

Also we need a good off-roader again. Bring back the original 2 door Bronco or even the first Gen 2 door Explorer Sport.

I'm at the point I've Seriously been considering a Dodge (RAM/JEEP)

Old 11-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Iceking007
New User
Also, I don't think it's fair that people are not posting regarding the topic at hand.

This post is in regards to a petition (fictitious or not, silly or not) for a Ford manual transmission in pickup trucks.

Not if they are a good idea, not if there are other options, not why they got rid of them or won't bring them back.

Those are all good topics for other posts.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,614 Likes on 1,641 Posts
This thread started 05-03-2010, then went to 2015......then skipped to today.....me thinks the issue is probably dead!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
This thread started 05-03-2010, then went to 2015......then skipped to today.....me thinks the issue is probably dead!
Not in the minds of some. When I got a new truck at the very end of 2016, I obviously had to get an auto transmission. Over 75k miles on it now and coming home with a trailer last night I still shifted my body to push the clutch and reach for the gear shift as I came up on a turn to go home.

If the 2020 super duties came with an auto, I'd buy one. This coming from a guy who's last truck was an 02 that I put 585k miles on before I got around to getting a new one.

Quick Reply: Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...