Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 AM
ibdpic
Junior User
ibdpic is starting off with a positive reputation.
The new auto is amazing! I have 3000 miles on this truck so far and it just keeps getting better all the time. If you don't like it pulling in the highest gear you can drop it down a gear with ease. Just push a button. It shows you what gear you are in on the display so no problem know where it is at in the range of gears.

Twice now I have had to accel from a stop with authority and got "second gear rubber".

Also I like the info dash. I pull 5 different trailers and once you name and set the brake control for that trailer you can choose it and your ready to pull with all the settings just what you wanted. It also keeps track of mileage pulled on that trailer with this truck.

Right now I have two service trucks with manuals in them and within the last year they both have had new clutches installed in them. one of them is in a GMC 6500 with Cat engine and the throw out bearing is starting to fail. not even 30k later and the other truck is F650 and that clutch is beginning to have had engagement problems.

I'm all for this new trans in the Super Duty's. I wouldn't even consider a manual in this truck. I have shifted plenty of gears over the years and I like manuals but this one is just too good not to even consider!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Blown 331
Blown 331 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Personally I do not buy automatic transmissions. I never liked them and every one I've ever had has went out. I haven't bought a vehicle with an auto in about 8 years. My F-150, Mustang and Focus are all manuals.
And I work for a large Fleet Management company. We lease vehicles to customers in all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico. We have a lot of construction companies as cumstomers. The majority and 3/4 ton and up trucks are Fords. And there are LOTS of manual transmission diesels. I'm not sure where this 1% is coming from but OMG that could not be farther off. I haven't ran a query on the exact number but my guess is around 35% manual transmission and the majority of the time there is very little problem with them. On the other hand I see a TON of failed autos even the 5R110W and good lord they cost more than I pay for most of my vehicles! In my opinion autos have always and will always be junk.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 AM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Blown 331 View Post
On the other hand I see a TON of failed autos even the 5R110W and good lord they cost more than I pay for most of my vehicles!
This is why your opinion has little value to Ford. You don't buy their product anyway.

On the other hand, I do value your opinion, but I ain't selling anything.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
This is why your opinion has little value to Ford. You don't buy their product anyway.

On the other hand, I do value your opinion, but I ain't selling anything.
I keep their resale value up and thats important to them. Customers that do buy new vehicles are less likely to buy a new vehicle if its not worth **** when they go to sell it.
And the Ford parts department gets my money, I'm sure thats important to them as well.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 AM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
I keep their resale value up and thats important to them. Customers that do buy new vehicles are less likely to buy a new vehicle if its not worth **** when they go to sell it.
And the Ford parts department gets my money, I'm sure thats important to them as well.
Nah, not really. There is some truth to what you say, but trucks that cost less than an auto transmission are completely off the Ford radar. They would prefer they were all crushed. As for parts, you are going to buy parts no matter what tranny.

Bottom line is, if you don't buy new vehicles you have no power of persuasion.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Guys

My comment was a humorous poke at the couple of Cummins/Ford debate posts. If you visit Rvnet and follow any Ford truck posts it would have made more sense. I need more practice at the stand up humor game. No offense meant. This has been a great thread. Somewhat futile in my opinion but I have enjoyed the discussion. The take rate for the stick has consistently been stated by Ford at 1%. The poster who claims 35% needs to do some research. Ford would leap at that number with a manual transmission option.

Regards

Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Blown 331
I'm actually thinking of buying a new Fiesta as a daily commuter when my current Focus craps out, prob a few years. It will be a 4 cyl manual for fuel mileage and reliability (and I just prefer to shift). You gotta love 40mpg on the highway. I know that isnt going to get a manual behind a 6.7 though!
As far as the trucks you are right. Any truck I would buy is definitely off the radar since the last year Ford built a truck is 1979. I say that jokingly, well mostly jokingly. Well maybe not totally off the radar, how do you think I found out my truck was built on June 22 1977? Ford told me. They sent me a very nice letter telling my all kinds of things about my truck. They said due to the age of the vehicle they will have to dig into the archives, it was all free.
In a truck I prefer a solid front axle, lock out hubs and manual shift transfer case. And I know all that is available in the super dutys which is freaking sweet. I know with the Dodge, 1993 is the last year you can get all that.
And I've never needed a part for a manual transmission, hense part of the reason I like them.
As far as my claim to 35%, that was a guess, could be off, but thats sure what it seems like. I will try to find out. We have nearly 200,000 vehicles that we manage (and a LOT more we dont manage) and I just sent an email asking the percentage of the Ford diesels with manual trans. Since its not work related I'm sure my answer wont be immidiate but it should be interesting. We are a huge Ford customer and they take care of us. They actually brought a 6.7 truck to our office so we could check it out and they gave us a training class on it a few days before the truck was released. And right now Ford has a new Taurus, Transit Connect and F-150 here that we can drive right now.
Why did I ever post in this thread. lol.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Supercab
Post Fiend
Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.Supercab has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wink

Is Ford still using the Torque-shift behind the new 6.7?? I didn't realize that IT was a 6 speed unit.IS the Torque-Shift a Ford-Built unit or allison or??

Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
Originally Posted by Supercab View Post
Is Ford still using the Torque-shift behind the new 6.7?? I didn't realize that IT was a 6 speed unit.IS the Torque-Shift a Ford-Built unit or allison or??
It is a totally redesigned transmission, but they still call it the Torqshift. It uses all 6 gears.

Oddly enough, the old 5R110 was also a 6 speed design, but only used 5 in any given shift pattern.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
MobeyDick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm actually thinking of buying a new Fiesta as a daily commuter when my current Focus craps out, prob a few years. It will be a 4 cyl manual for fuel mileage and reliability (and I just prefer to shift). You gotta love 40mpg on the highway. I know that isnt going to get a manual behind a 6.7 though!
As far as the trucks you are right. Any truck I would buy is definitely off the radar since the last year Ford built a truck is 1979. I say that jokingly, well mostly jokingly. Well maybe not totally off the radar, how do you think I found out my truck was built on June 22 1977? Ford told me. They sent me a very nice letter telling my all kinds of things about my truck. They said due to the age of the vehicle they will have to dig into the archives, it was all free.
In a truck I prefer a solid front axle, lock out hubs and manual shift transfer case. And I know all that is available in the super dutys which is freaking sweet. I know with the Dodge, 1993 is the last year you can get all that.
And I've never needed a part for a manual transmission, hense part of the reason I like them.
As far as my claim to 35%, that was a guess, could be off, but thats sure what it seems like. I will try to find out. We have nearly 200,000 vehicles that we manage (and a LOT more we dont manage) and I just sent an email asking the percentage of the Ford diesels with manual trans. Since its not work related I'm sure my answer wont be immidiate but it should be interesting. We are a huge Ford customer and they take care of us. They actually brought a 6.7 truck to our office so we could check it out and they gave us a training class on it a few days before the truck was released. And right now Ford has a new Taurus, Transit Connect and F-150 here that we can drive right now.
Why did I ever post in this thread. lol.
I love the 73-79 Ford body style and I think they were some of the toughest trucks ever built. Honestly though you couldn't give me any brand new, never been driven off the showroom floor 73-79 Ford truck for my 01 with 320,000 miles on it. Now if someone were to give me an 2011 they could have my 01 and 05 and 06 Superduties!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Blown 331
Originally Posted by MobeyDick View Post
I love the 73-79 Ford body style and I think they were some of the toughest trucks ever built. Honestly though you couldn't give me any brand new, never been driven off the showroom floor 73-79 Ford truck for my 01 with 320,000 miles on it. Now if someone were to give me an 2011 they could have my 01 and 05 and 06 Superduties!
I'm the other way. I'd take a brand new 1979 F-350 4x4 lariat crew cab short bed over anything made today (it would just need a 460 swap or even a cummins swap).

Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
MobeyDick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm the other way. I'd take a brand new 1979 F-350 4x4 lariat crew cab short bed over anything made today (it would just need a 460 swap or even a cummins swap).
I've owned a 73, 75, 78 PU and a 78 Bronco in the 70s, they were great trucks in there day. They just can’t touch a modern truck in Maintenance, Fuel cost and drivability.

Edit: The 73 had a 302, that truck was a POS. it permanently made me dislike the 302 as a power plant. I can’t understand why anyone would want one.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
F350JOHN
Senior User
F350JOHN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Were getting way off topic here...
rickatic,
No offense was taken, I was just confused.

Back to the topic!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
F350JOHN
Senior User
F350JOHN is starting off with a positive reputation.
I started a simple YES or NO poll:

Please vote here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...sion-vote.html

Old 07-31-2010, 10:53 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
but we (consumers) are not the volume buyers that matter for the ford business..

Sam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: