Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
MobeyDick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Don't "Charge" For the Tranny on the window sitcker.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
F350JOHN
Senior User
F350JOHN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Per the visiting engineer, ~1% take rate.

Life is too short. Get over it.
I can't get over it because I hate to see Ford go the way of GM and only offer a automatic. How many class 8 over the road trucks do you see with autos? I see about maybe 1%. The rest are manuals.

This is not a debate thread. Its a support thread for bringing back a manual to the best truck on the road!

Who is with me?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by gp42gpw View Post
Does anyone know what they charge for the auto? I know its the only option but when I got my truck in 05 the auto was almost two grand more. That was a chunk of change for me. I can't wait to drive a new 6.7 I drove the 6.4L and was not impressed enough to dump 6.0L. The reviews I have read say it is a beast. I guess a ride to the dealer is in order.
The price difference was $1500 when 2 transmissions were offered.

So if you would have ordered a truck with a manual trans, if the option was available it effectively means that the cost is $1500 more.
Originally Posted by F350JOHN View Post
I can't get over it because I hate to see Ford go the way of GM and only offer a automatic. How many class 8 over the road trucks do you see with autos? I see about maybe 1%. The rest are manuals.

This is not a debate thread. Its a support thread for bringing back a manual to the best truck on the road!

Who is with me?
I think that the percentage of OTR trucks with automatics is higher than 1% now days. The number of fleets I know of that specify eaton's 13 speed slushmatic exclusively is pretty high.
I personally won't own a truck (or a car for that matter) with an automatic transmission for personal and practical reasons - I understand I am in the minority, and it limits my purchasing options greatly, but fortunately (or unfortuantely as the case may be), I cannot financially justify purchasing a new truck, so it doesn't bother me greatly yet...

If you want to create a petition, we would happily host it, I can't forsee it getting anywhere to be honest, but if you don't try - well you never know

Last edited by BigF350; 05-04-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future

Who is with me?
Sorry John, I wouldn't sign it. I think Ford is doing the right thing by phasing out obsolete technology. The new auto trans's are so superior to what they used to be, it's no wonder that 99% of buyers prefer them. It would be costly for Ford to maintain a manual trans option and the related design, build, support, parts, expertise, and everything else when the market simply doesn't want it anymore (well, 99% of the market anyway). It's just a good business decision and strengthens Ford overall as a company to cut off the old, unwanted programs. Let's face it, John, the 1% take rate means you're a rare bird.

Having said that, there's no way I would buy Mustang GT in an auto trans. No way!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
How many class 8 over the road trucks do you see with autos? I see about maybe 1%. The rest are manuals.
Originally Posted by IB Adrian View Post
I think that the percentage of OTR trucks with automatics is higher than 1% now days. The number of fleets I know of that specify eaton's 13 speed slushmatic exclusively is pretty high.
Not sure why this matters either way. You might as well compare your SD to a motorcycle, for all they have in common.

Not sure if I would sign a petition, because I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I wish you guys had a choice. On the other hand, I think the modern diesel has trouble meeting emissions limits when coupled to a manual, and the manual option will increase the cost and complexity to everyone.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
And at least you can (currently) still by a manual trans Ram.

That said, choosing between the option of an automatic or a Dodge would be like asking me whether I would prefer to loose an eye or a ********.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:04 PM
BigF350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
Not sure why this matters either way. You might as well compare your SD to a motorcycle, for all they have in common.
Oh, it was important - I fell for this

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by IB Adrian View Post
And at least you can (currently) still by a manual trans Ram.

That said, choosing between the option of an automatic or a Dodge would be like asking me whether I would prefer to loose an eye or a ********.
Lol, at my age, my eye is a little more useful.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Alwaysfixin
Freshman User
Alwaysfixin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick View Post
Lol, at my age, my eye is a little more useful.
I am at work and that made me laugh out loud!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
Folks, Ford is in the auto business as a money making venture. If something is not making them money then they don't need to be doing that kinda of business. It isn't a love affair or a buddy system. They are in it just like everyone else to make money. As is every other company out there.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Powelligator
Senior User
Powelligator is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fair enough.

Back when two trannies were offered the slushbox was an over $1K option. Today I'd be willing to pay $1K for a manual transmission option on a 2011.

That said, I've reluctantly accepted the idea of the 6-spd auto. Around here the new challenge is finding an 8 foot bed, my dealer is telling me that with the SuperCab is special order only. Sigh.

Joe (Proud to be a one-percenter!)

Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
MobeyDick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Powelligator View Post
Fair enough.

Back when two trannies were offered the slushbox was an over $1K option. Today I'd be willing to pay $1K for a manual transmission option on a 2011.

That said, I've reluctantly accepted the idea of the 6-spd auto. Around here the new challenge is finding an 8 foot bed, my dealer is telling me that with the SuperCab is special order only. Sigh.

Joe (Proud to be a one-percenter!)
Yep, while I was at the local Dealership a buddy of mine who had already drive the 2011 I was about the drive, told the saleman the same as I did. Get a long bed on the lot and we'll actually start talking money. I can't use a short bed in any way and don't understand how anyone could.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Ak Ronnie
New User
Ak Ronnie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am still on the fence waiting to hear more positive comments about the new Auto Transmission. I like having a Manual for safety reasons in tricky driving situations ie keeping the lower gear going down or up a slippery hill without shifting or shifting when I want to avoid breaking traction and loosing it. Will the new Auto hold up to shifting manually on the fly or is it a copy of existing Auto Trannies, which I despise.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MobeyDick View Post
Yep, while I was at the local Dealership a buddy of mine who had already drive the 2011 I was about the drive, told the saleman the same as I did. Get a long bed on the lot and we'll actually start talking money. I can't use a short bed in any way and don't understand how anyone could.
I'd rather have a long bed too but since I live around people I can't. Have you ever tried to park underground in a crew cab with a long bed? It's a looooooong beast. Just getting groceries you pretty much have to park out in bfe and take two spots. A crew cab short bed pretty much maxes out standard parking offerings and the long bed simply doesn't fit.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Big Ruth
Senior User
Big Ruth is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to see a manual.

Just pray that they don't do IFS soon in the SDs. Is ford getting soft?

It's no fun unless its like driving a garbage truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking About An Official Petition To Bring Back The Manual Transmission...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: