03 tranny wont shift to pass or go up a steep hill - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Reload this Page >

03 tranny wont shift to pass or go up a steep hill

Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM
jennkent5454
Senior User
jennkent5454 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 2003 f150 5.4 FX4, it wont down shift into a passing gear to pass a car on the HWY and wont down shift to climb a hill. (all on pavement, not 4x4) the engine revs up like its going to shift but stays there without shifting. fluid level is fine. it doesnt slip either. I was driving with the window down and i want to say i heard a noise like a belt slipping but just for a second.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how fast were you going?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Does it auto upshift through all the gears?
Can you down shift with the selector?
If yes, all the control solenoid are working normal.
What does not make sense is you hear the motor rpm up but no action!
Normally this can't be.
Something is 'letting' the motor RPM if your seeing it on the tach and hearing it.
The shifting is determined by the throttle position and road speed the computer uses to acess what action to take for shifting.
Normally in cruise/OD a light extra loading will drop the trans out of OD raising the RPM about 300 or so. This is the normal converter slip.
The next down shift will allow the rpm to rise about 1000 rpm +/-, then the next shift is down to second gear and the rpm goes quite high depending on road speed.
There is no passing gear per-sey.
A slipping belt won't affect the trans shifting.
Also there might be a code set in PCM to give a hint.
Generally an issue in the trans it'self will flash and turn on the shifter lamp at the end of the shift selctor.
What do you have going on?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:17 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.93 mix 'n match is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my thoughts:

he was going fast enough that there was no where for the transmission to go.
bad TPS, which would throw a code but still...

Old 05-02-2010, 12:20 AM
jennkent5454
Senior User
93 mix n match : any speed, going slow starting off, or 55-60 upto 70-80.

bluegrass 7: it upshifts correctly and will downshift under normal driving driving, just not while passing or trying to rapidly gain speed.

if i take off from a stop sign and decide im not going fast enough and push it to the floor it will not down shift. this is where the motor is rev'ed but the trans wont shift. it will just hold there until you let off the gas the it will shift but not to the grear you need to pass or speed up.

there is no code and the overdrive is not flashing. (the O/D light does work-i made sure)

the little chirp i heard sounded like it was comming from the trans not the motor.

could it be the torque converter?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
when you said it revs up, what do you mean? does it shoot to redline or just hold at say 4k?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 AM
jennkent5454
Senior User
It holds steady at it current rpm

it does not red line

Old 05-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You got me!.
Is the shift selector out of register for position.
The selector sends info to the PCM about what gear it thinks the trans is in.
If it's wrong---who knows what will happen.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 PM
jennkent5454
Senior User
changed: plugs, fuel filter, bank 1-sensor 1, bank 2-sensor 1. problem solved

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Podaso
Senior User
Podaso is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm curious, how'd you find out the sensors contributed to the problem? Just wondering for my benefit.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
Usually the only ways the PCM knows what to do in changing gears is the TPS position and road speed.
In cruise, the TPS determines the action above about 7/8 throttle.
a. shifts out of OD.
b. may unlock the converter depending on how fast the throttle has been applied.
c. exits the EGR function.
d. richens the fuel.
If the road speed is low enough.
a. the road speed sensor causes down shifts through the gears.
b. the TPS is closed down or very small in throttle angle telling the PCM that there is no call for power.
c. the IAC is closed down to a point keeping the motor from stalling.
d. fuel injection is cut off or reduced.
What was done and issue solved, is a mistery to above actions, unless there was something not discribed in the original post.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
jennkent5454
Senior User
here is some additional information that may help,
when I made the original post there was no CEL, but then it appeared later. I dont remember the code #, it was to lean on bank one, I drove it for about 3 months like that, and re-scanned it, then it was to lean on bank two as well. I drove it with both codes for aprox 6 months total while trying different things to fix the problem. so when I tried the last fix someone told me the O2 sensors were prob fried from running to lean for so long, so i just replaced them both along with the other things mentioned.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Mohuff
New User
Mohuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Will not shift when passing.

I had a similar problem with my 99 F-150. I had a miss and changed the coils, plugs and wires and when I did I found a loose injector connector and on the test drive everything was fine. Not knowing what was causing the miss and figured with 230k if it was not the coils, oh well. Not one to "get on it" that often I noticed the tranny problem on a long trip and checked over everything to no avail. Just for kicks I put back in one of my old coils took it for a test drive and it worked just fine. I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 PM
SDDL-UP
Elder User
SDDL-UP is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know, I know... Holy thread resurrection Batman!

.... FUEL FILTER!

I have been dealing with some "transmission" issues for a while. I didn't really think it was a throttle position sensor because the transmission would try to downshift, but just flat wouldn't. My truck is a 2000 F-150 with the 5.4 and at 226,000 miles, has never had a new fuel filter. Well, after all five minutes it took to install the new filter, and dumping some nasty looking fuel out of the old filter, I was pretty optimistic! I cranked the ignition for a few seconds while it filled the new filter, then it fired right up. I cruised out the driveway and down the dirt road we live on. Once I hit the pavement I just couldn't resist... And punched the gas. It downshifted and accelerated like a champ!!!

It totally makes sense now. When downshifting to accelerate, the PCM needs to give the engine an extra shot of fuel and being unable to do so because of the clogged filter, it just wouldn't downshift.

Thanks FTE!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:55 AM
Bluegrass 7
Post Fiend
I just wanted you to know how the extra fuel comes about.
The TPS signal really does the work.
The mass Air meter also gets involved.
Bottom line is the engine is a variable efficiency machine controlled by the throttle plate opening for air flow control.
The TPS.....rate of movement....(fast). is the signal difference the computer detects.
The TPS past about 7/8 throttle travel causes the fuel tables to revert to a fixed rich condition setting. This means the OX senaor signals are not used at that time..
The Pulse widths are now widened out to the fuel injectors.
The end result is more fuel from the injectors.
The Mass Air meter also gets into the act for air flow volume measurement to back up the need for more fuel...
Now if the fuel pressure was too low and/or fuel volume low (these are two separate parameters), the motor can go lean such that there is not enough fuel to inject for the amount of power called upon.
It's way more complex than carburation, but a hundred percent more accurate and near instant. acting when all parts of the system work as designed..
Good luck.