Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Get your wallets ready - CA parts to hit the market

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Exclamation Get your wallets ready - CA parts to hit the market

Get ready to see a ton of used performance parts hit the market as people revert back to stock here in CA. The new smog rules mean we are smogging our trucks for the first time and just about all the performance stuff will make it fail the visual. My dad just had his done, but his 02 is 100% stock. The tech spent quite a while going over the visual portion peeking around everywhere in the engine compartment. My good friend's brother is a tech at the very same garage. He had to fail "an old man" with twin turbos on his 7.3 even though the thing ran perfect. There are now 39 million people in CA. There are going to be a lot of used parts available over the next two years as people who previously thought they were smog-exempt now have to revert back to stock in order to re-new their registration.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's gonna be a bummer!! So they expect the "old man" to just pull off the turbos and put the "oem" back on?

Oh how I love the nanny state!!!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
...and just about all the performance stuff will make it fail the visual. My dad just had his done, but his 02 is 100% stock. The tech spent quite a while going over the visual portion peeking around everywhere in the engine compartment...
This does not bode well for your "old shoe" air filter mod!!! Will that "stinky shoe" be one of the used "performance parts" hitting the market?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

For me it means taking off my regulated return system and maybe my 6637, Dahl, and Chip. I lucked out and get one more year before I have to smog it since they sent my renewal form in Dec 09.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by ernesteugene
This does not bode well for your "old shoe" air filter mod!!! Will that "stinky shoe" be one of the used "performance parts" hitting the market?
No. You've earned the right of first refusal on it Gene. It is no longer stinky after a hundred and fifty thousand miles and just needs a slight lacquer coating applied as it's being mounted to the wall plaque.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
piotrsko
Elder User
I am not gonna buy into this because I remember the "no headers/exhaust mods" rule in '71 the low-lead fiasco back in '82, smog my truck thing back in 1999. Yes the stuff went away for a year or so, then things got open with new stuff hitting the market.

My $.02 your mileage can and will vary.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Andy, i believe you may be correct...i think it sucks, but maybe most of the people that spent that hard earned loot on those mods will try to buy up all the stock crap they yanked off their rigs instead of selling their upgrades, put all the OEM stuff back on for the test, and then swap it all back out after they pass...i'm not sure if there will be an influx of mods available or not...only time will tell...

Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if the inspectors will be able to tell the difference between a stock 38R and a GTP38R? I knda of doubt it. Not ever having either I know I couldn't.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:23 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There not going to get you for regulated return... Your not going to a ref. most techs wont even know what it is. And its not illegal. And it dosnt effect your emissions.

I will tell everyone again. They plug into your OBD11 and look for codes. They get in your truck and look for smoke on start up that dosnt dissipate within 30 seconds. They floor board your go pedal and watch for smoke that dosnt dissipate within 30 seconds...

As for intake mods and visual inspection... If you had a cat you need a cat. Aftermarket open air filters will fail you if they dont have a carb #. I dont know if AFE or anyone els has got assigned carb #'s to their intake systems yet.

Anyone that tries and fail you for anything els is a Jack hole. And go somewhere els.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin
There not going to get you for regulated return... Your not going to a ref. most techs wont even know what it is. And its not illegal. And it dosnt effect your emissions.
It is part of emissions, as far as California is concerned, Nolan.

Intake, exhaust, fuel related items need a CARB cert in order to be allowed.

Gas vehicles have been regulated to death, so most shops already know what passes and what doesn't. Even then, some intakes that aren't CARB certified will pass the visual because the guy doing the smog knows there isn't much difference between a K&N filter and one obtained from Johnny Lightning Performance. But technically, the JLP intake shouldn't pass.

With the diesels coming under the smog laws now, they will be failing a lot of trucks for anything they can (right or wrong), in order to bring compliance to the levels the state wants.

Until such time as a lot of the "common" parts like intake, exhaust, or whatever, gets a CARB cert, smog techs WILL be failing a lot of trucks.

But like you said Nolan, what one shop does, doesn't mean another shop will.

CCV's, regulated returns, intakes, turbo's, overboost regulators, etc will all be scrutinized and right or wrong, will cause some to fail, depending on the shop.

Stewart

Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
There is a good article about the California emmisions written in the June, Diesel Power Magazine.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Stewart is correct and i should have been more clear...

Anything aftermarket on any vehicle in the state of Ca. is basically illegal.

Use your brain: Call and or ask the shop you are going to what their smog test will consist of. DO NOT go to smog only stations. (they are the next closets thing to a ref.) The smog techs have to tell you what they are looking for before the test if you ask them. There are plenty of smog stations everywhere, i dont think it should be hard to find one that isn't ****. I know of three here in Santa Cruz alone.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
An inspector, flooring the go pedal to the floor, creating all that unnessesary smoke and fumes thousands of times a year, every year, to check the smoke output, isn't that helping the environment right there. Just a thought, nothing to do tonite..

Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
74baja
Elder User
Check out the latest issue of Diesel Power... there's a big article on these new tests.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Hide your tuner switch up in the dash on STOCK will that help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get your wallets ready - CA parts to hit the market