Sponsored by:

Any Reason I Can't Bypass the ABS Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
mprice
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Reason I Can't Bypass the ABS Pump?

All the brake hardware on my Bronco is pretty rusty and I think if I have to replace any of it I'll have to replace all of it. The ABS is already inoperative and if I'm going to be bending new hard lines I figure I might as well not include the module. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? I'm not a big fan of ABS to begin with so losing it sounds like a good thing.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As long as the ABS module does not act like a proportioning valve, I don't see why you couldn't. My first concern would be that the ABS valve body would act as a proportioning valve even if the ABS computer is off-line. I don't honestly know the truth of the matter here so perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of the ABS system could chime in here.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
alxsnmr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The older RABS was just a sort of expansion valve to quickly release pressure on the rear drum brakes to avoid lock up. That system could easily be circumvented by just routing the brake line around it. The 4 wheel ABS is a different beast that I have not messed with or bothered with on the newer vehicles. My guess is like greystreak stated that it has a brake proportioning valve to help balance the brakes between the front and rear, if the master cylinder wasnt the same as the RABS master cylinder. Though I think that the rear ABS only systems did have the proportioning valve built into the master to maintain fluid in the rear line to keep the pads from getting too far away from the drums as they become worn from use.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
also the signal from the rear diff passes thru that module so if you do remove it be sure to jump the proper pinouts otherwise your tranny and speedo will no longer function.

if you replace the lines the abs may very well work. or if the module you currently have is bad why not replace it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead....

I'm doing something similar here...I have a worn out thread in the ABS pump and can't get a brass fitting with brake line to grab the thread. My options are find a junk yard replacement or can I put in a proportioning valve and remove the pump.

I understand I need to jump the VSS but can I leave all the other wiring including the 2 hydraulic pump connectors? Is it really just 2 jumper cables in the VSS and the tranny + speedo still work? I've searched and found countless of threads on other forums but so many people are posting their own project on this with remove wires all the way back to the firewall, splicing and dicing, pulling fuses and relays...I don't want to do all that. I'm willing to bypass the hydraulic pump, install a P valve and jump the VSS if it's that easy.

@Kemicalburns do you have some knowledge on this??

This is a picture I saw on another forum of someone jumping the connector. Just looking to make sure this is correct.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry i dont have any experience removing the ABS pump. several guys on another fsb forum have done this though when going SAS. I believe you could keep all the wiring in place and figure out a way to seal the connector some how.

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Bringing this back from the dead....

I'm doing something similar here...I have a worn out thread in the ABS pump and can't get a brass fitting with brake line to grab the thread. My options are find a junk yard replacement or can I put in a proportioning valve and remove the pump.

I understand I need to jump the VSS but can I leave all the other wiring including the 2 hydraulic pump connectors? Is it really just 2 jumper cables in the VSS and the tranny + speedo still work? I've searched and found countless of threads on other forums but so many people are posting their own project on this with remove wires all the way back to the firewall, splicing and dicing, pulling fuses and relays...I don't want to do all that. I'm willing to bypass the hydraulic pump, install a P valve and jump the VSS if it's that easy.

@Kemicalburns do you have some knowledge on this??

This is a picture I saw on another forum of someone jumping the connector. Just looking to make sure this is correct.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:46 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Kemical. I'm going to hit a junk yard Friday and see if I can pull at least 2 out of some trucks. I'd prefer to keep it original but looking at all options.