Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership Results!!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Stealership Results!!!!

Got the guy on the phone finally. He starts off with I might just want to think about getting a new truck cause its ugly.
Anyway he says I have 4 injectors out and maybe something in the bottom end, but he would have to do a manual compression test, which of course is another $240 on top of the $160 to tell me I had 4 injectors out. At first I told him to go ahead, but then said he could not do it right away so I ended up telling him to forget it. How would he conclude that there is something wrong in the bottom end by looking at the codes??? Injectors that are bad I believe he said was 2,3,5,and 8. Also a low ICP pressure code or something like that.
I think I might have found a better shop around here to look at it. A place called Midwest Diesel in Oak Grove Missouri.
I dont really know what to do now. I need this back up ASAP or a replacement
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah he also said it would be easily $4000 on the low side to replace the injectors. If that is what it is I believe I will be doing that myself. I would just like to know that is what it is for sure.
Thanks
Joe

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.caverjoe has a very good reputation on FTE.
For those that did not see my first thread it is titled Now Whats Wrong

Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by caverjoe View Post
Got the guy on the phone finally. He starts off with I might just want to think about getting a new truck cause its ugly.
Anyway he says I have 4 injectors out and maybe something in the bottom end, but he would have to do a manual compression test, which of course is another $240 on top of the $160 to tell me I had 4 injectors out. At first I told him to go ahead, but then said he could not do it right away so I ended up telling him to forget it. How would he conclude that there is something wrong in the bottom end by looking at the codes???
I think I might have found a better shop around here to look at it. A place called Midwest Diesel in Oak Grove Missouri.
I dont really know what to do now.
Oh yeah he also said it would be easily $4000 on the low side to replace the injectors. If that is what it is I believe I will be doing that myself. I would just like to know that is what it is for sure.
Thanks
Joe
I dont know how far you are from Andrew (JKidd) but he has an AE and is very well versed in the woes of injectors. Brad (beanhead) is also close by also. Both are great guys and I am betting that they would be willing to help you out.

If 4 of them are out then it sounds like a harness or possibly an IDM issue.

I would get your truck out of there for starters. For what they are going to get you for diagnostics you can buy an AE and do it yourself.

Buy a new truck cause yours is ugly?????? Very nice professional comment. I would be making a phone call or two about that one.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud ofron's power stroke has much to be proud of
He starts off with I might just want to think about getting a new truck cause its ugly.

sounds more like there scaring you into a new truck..of course they know they can sell yours quickly for even more profit..

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Jim I think he meant the results are ugly

Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.bama29fan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke View Post
He starts off with I might just want to think about getting a new truck cause its ugly.

sounds more like there scaring you into a new truck..of course they know they can sell yours quickly for even more profit..

my thoughts exactly....i hate not being able to trust people but it might just be something simple and cheap like Jim said and they are gonna rape you or scare you in to buying a new one and then selling yours for a handsome profit.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
megawatt00
Post Fiend
megawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputationmegawatt00 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by nhill2090 View Post
Jim I think he meant the results are ugly
I think your right . Note to self do not attempt to post prior to having coffee.......

Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
DieselCamper01
Post Fiend
DieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud ofDieselCamper01 has much to be proud of
$4000 for injectors? You can get a new crate motor for only slightly more from Clay or Ed!! I don't think it is a harness issue if those numbers are correct. Two on each bank. If they are really even bad...Dang.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.nhill2090 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DieselCamper01 View Post
$4000 for injectors? You can get a new crate motor for only slightly more from Clay or Ed!! I don't think it is a harness issue if those numbers are correct. Two on each bank. If they are really even bad...Dang.

labor at the stealerships is rediculous.

A novice drive way mechanic with an adjustable wrench and a hammer could change injectors faster than the time alloted on a dealers labor ticket.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Justin03PSD is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Anyway he says I have 4 injectors out and maybe something in the bottom end, but he would have to do a manual compression test, which of course is another $240 on top of the $160 to tell me I had 4 injectors out. At first I told him to go ahead, but then said he could not do it right away so I ended up telling him to forget it. How would he conclude that there is something wrong in the bottom end by looking at the codes??? Injectors that are bad I believe he said was 2,3,5,and 8. Also a low ICP pressure code or something like that.
Thanks
Joe
Is the truck at Milner-O'Quinn in Harrisonville right now? I have used them before with good results, but I was very specific with my requests. Having anybody do diagnosis work gets expensive fast.

I am just up the road from you in Raymore. I don't have a lot of experience with my AE setup, but am willing to try and help with the diagnosis if you want.

I haven't heard about that shop in Oak Grove but it might be worth checking out. With the number of cylinders reporting problems I too would lean towards it being harness related.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
labor at the stealerships is rediculous.

A novice drive way mechanic with an adjustable wrench and a hammer could change injectors faster than the time alloted on a dealers labor ticket.
Are they way more than the local rates or do they use different flat rate guides? My experience is that they use the same labor rate guide as most shops and their rates aren't that bad. I have seen independent shops charge a few bucks less per hour but they don't always have the tools. As such, they sometimes try to "make it up as they go along". One of those attempts resulted in many bent fins on my radiator of my car when they didn't have the proper tool to remove the fan clutch.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Are they way more than the local rates or do they use different flat rate guides? My experience is that they use the same labor rate guide as most shops and their rates aren't that bad. I have seen independent shops charge a few bucks less per hour but they don't always have the tools. As such, they sometimes try to "make it up as they go along". One of those attempts resulted in many bent fins on my radiator of my car when they didn't have the proper tool to remove the fan clutch.

I have never taken my truck to the dealership under my ownership. Nor have I taken it to a shop, unless its getting aligned. So dont ask me. However I think dealers generally charge a greater hourly charge than most shops. And a good shop isnt out to swap parts until they find the solution and charge you $4000 in the process.

Or you can just do all your own work and save alot of headache and even more money.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have never taken my truck to the dealership under my ownership. Nor have I taken it to a shop, unless its getting aligned. So dont ask me. However I think dealers generally charge a greater hourly charge than most shops. And a good shop isnt out to swap parts until they find the solution and charge you $4000 in the process.

Or you can just do all your own work and save alot of headache and even more money.
My experience has been about $10 an hour different. IMO, the difference is that you have a "Jack of all trades" vs someone who specializes more in one type of vehicle. As to a parts swapper, I have seen them in BOTH dealerships and independents. I follow the tech. I had a tech at a dealership that was excellent and he moved to an independent shop and now he has gone into something else but will do side work.

Not always. I have been in some situations where I broke an expensive part or two and created even more headaches so it isn't always smooth sailing.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
My experience has been about $10 an hour different. IMO, the difference is that you have a "Jack of all trades" vs someone who specializes more in one type of vehicle. As to a parts swapper, I have seen them in BOTH dealerships and independents. I follow the tech. I had a tech at a dealership that was excellent and he moved to an independent shop and now he has gone into something else but will do side work.

Not always. I have been in some situations where I broke an expensive part or two and created even more headaches so it isn't always smooth sailing.

True, there are those cases.

And your right, broken parts are no fun. But as a diesel/heavy equipment tech, I do all my own work and then some on the side.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Action4478
Post Fiend
Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
Thanks
Joe
the search feature isn't kind to me lately, what are the symptoms?..I doubt it would drop 4, all at once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stealership Results!!!!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.