1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Behind Grille Fog Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:48 AM
f250-ksa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very good

im thinking of doing the same thing but installing the oem fog lights

Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
mark996
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like this install. I'm gonna take a whack at it myself soon. I'm planning on getting the mkmcustom excursion 05' grille kit later on as well, but I'm probably gonna do it to my current grille first, then again with the new grill. Looks really good man.
Edit: Hey will you take pics of the wiring installation as well? That'd be very helpful.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 AM
weyland426
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
op, your install looks good and clean...but why not use the factory fog location in the bumber with the appropriately sized light?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mark996
Hey will you take pics of the wiring installation as well? That'd be very helpful.
I will try to get that posted later today.

Originally Posted by weyland426
op, your install looks good and clean...but why not use the factory fog location in the bumber with the appropriately sized light?
Couple of reasons. I wanted the lights up higher because although they are fog lights, I primarily use them for off-road lights in the dunes. Mounting them in the grille allows me to have the light beam higher and farther reaching, which is where I need the light off-road. Second, I wanted the lights up higher to avoid rocks. Finally, I got a smokin' deal on these lights and I like the way they look in the grille.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
imockman
New User
Very Nice

I think this looks great! I found putting OEM fog lights on a pain, the in the grill look is wounderful and appears easier than pulling a bumper off for OEM look. I saw this post prior to my fog light install, but plan on putting some driving lights using your install. As I read through fog light stuff I find that some people get their auxilary lights confused. There are two types of Auxilary lights, The first one most people think of is Fog Lights(FL), and the second is Driving Lights (DL). Both of these are used with the manufactorers headlights (*). The difference between FL, and DL is this; FL is a beam that travels wide, but not far. Generally FL are white or amber. DL is a beam that goes far but not wide. These are generally white or slight blue in color. Driving lights work like high beams to see way down the road. Fog lights go wide and short so the light beam doesnt reflect back in a fog. Some people like to have fog lights on with high beams to fill in light close and far. Unfortunately, this would not work in fog or dust storm conditions, the high beam would reflect back causing glare and make it difficult to see forward. Thats why Ford would have fog lights turn off when highbeams are engaged. FL & DL generally are the same styled light, but with a different lense. KC series 26 come with three lenses. Some lights have to be ordered in a particular configuration (FF75). I can not tell if this write up used driving or fog, I can't read the box. It doesn't really matter as long as the lights do what one wants the lights to do. If someone out there is getting ready for an install, you may want to be aware of what specific lights actually do. Another factor is the law in your state. If you are going to break a law, you should at least beaware of it! *most states require auxilary lights to be wired into a head light beam, one could wire the power source for the switch off of a running light allowing the user to choose high or low beam (but could be illegal in your state) I would imagine if lights are used appropriately (to see and not to irritate, or the look at me syndrome) all would be fine.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
imockman
New User
Spacer?

How thick is the spacer you used so the grille would slide in?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by imockman
How thick is the spacer you used so the grille would slide in?
Sorry this took so long, I haven't been watching this thread.
The spacer is about 1/4", so it is just barely taller than the thickness of the grille.
The lights are what Hella calls a "driving beam". In actual use they go far and wide. I really like them!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
raidscsi
Senior User
Do you have access to a camera that has manual ISO, aperture and shutter settings?

Would love to see a brightness comparison between stock high/low, stock fog lights, and aftermarket kits lights.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by raidscsi
Do you have access to a camera that has manual ISO, aperture and shutter settings?
I sure don't.

For those wondering about the wiring, I just tapped into the high beam 12V+ for the relay activation, so there is no switch for the grille lights, they just come on with my high beams. I made the tap in the engine bay wiring loom up at the firewall on the passenger side. The rest of the relay is wired standard.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey BPD,
Thanks for the write up. I picked up the same lights. Mounted mine just a little lower in the grill then yours to center them better. I had to put two notches to slip the grill on over the mounting bracket but they fit great. The trick to this, and any other mod, is mock-up. I put them in where I liked them, measured, marked, remeasured, remarked, mocked up again to make sure before I drilled and cut.
I pulled the high beam power to drive the relay like you did too but I put in a diode in line so I could use the manual toggle that came with the Hellas to turn them on as well. The diode keeps the switch power from back feeding and turning on the high beams when I turn on the manual switch. The switch also lights when the high beams are on to indicate the driving lights are on. I thought about getting a three way or another switch to turn them off but if I have my highs on it’s because I want to se where I’m going.
I took some photos I'll try and post as soon as I figure out how to get them off my new phone.