Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Drive It Like Ya Stole It

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:14 PM
1943GPW
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive It Like Ya Stole It

OK, now I am confused. I am getting different opinions about how I should break my new 6.0 in. Some say baby it, big time. Some say beat it. I have a friend with a 2002 7.3 and at 13000 miles he was not getting very good mileage. He has driven the trick very easy for from new. When he took it back to the dealer he was advised he should have been driving it harder and it was too late now to do anything. Too Late? What does driving them hard when new do? Would driving them easy, just make the break in period take longer? I was advised not to drive at the same RPM for any significant period of time for the first 3000 miles, when the break in oil was in the truck. What is in the break in oil? I have a fairly high mechanical aptitude and can’t seem to see how driving an engine hard when new could help it get better mileage. I could see how it would reduce the life and maybe loosen it up more, earlier and thus get a little better mileage earlier. But in the long run, I have a hard time imagining how driving a vehicle hard would make it last longer. Now I am not against using them for what they are designed for, but “beating them” to get better mileage? What is that about?

Mark

2003 6.0 Auto, Lariat CC SB SRW 3.73 posi, romps, but I like it.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:09 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it like you want it to run. That's always been my motto.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:16 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it's not so much a matter of beating the tar out of it, but to really vary the RPM's. Don't use your cruise on the highway and change the RPM's around for the first 5000 Miles or so. That way everything has a chance to sink into place and all the parts mesh together over the entire RPM range.

basstardo