1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 F250 5.4L Towing Question (Urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asok
FWIW using WD bars does not add that much time to hitching up. With all of the other crap you need to connect (7 pin, breakaway cable, 2 breakaway chains) adding WD bars to that is no big deal.
That's what it sounds like. I had been told by a coworker that it was much more complicated hitching and unhitching with a WDH setup. But if it only adds 5-10 minutes to the hitch up and gives you more safety while towing, I will most likely invest in it.

Just made an offer on the trailer, waiting to hear back.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
once you get it setup, it'll take you less than 5 each way.. I just unhooked mine tonight, maybe 2 minutes.. .. jack up the hitch, pop the latches, swing the bars and they are out.. .. lower the hitch, lift the lock, raise the hitch.. done..

Sam

Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Weeeeee, didn't get that 1996 but ended up getting a 2006 for just a few thousand more. Basically brand new bought from Air Force guy who is shipping out to Langley so he needs to get rid of it. 29 footer, roughly same weight (7000-ish pounds). He threw in the WDH setup for free so everything is safe and secure now. Just drove back from the lot, the 5.4L handled that load just fine. I'm a happy 'camper'.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by the_justin
Weeeeee, didn't get that 1996 but ended up getting a 2006 for just a few thousand more. Basically brand new bought from Air Force guy who is shipping out to Langley so he needs to get rid of it. 29 footer, roughly same weight (7000-ish pounds). He threw in the WDH setup for free so everything is safe and secure now. Just drove back from the lot, the 5.4L handled that load just fine. I'm a happy 'camper'.
cool!!.. unfortuately we a re very visual group, and won't really believe you til you post some pics..

congrats, and welcome to the fun!

Sam

Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
cool!!.. unfortuately we a re very visual group, and won't really believe you til you post some pics..

congrats, and welcome to the fun!

Sam

Camera had just enough juice to snap a few pics before it died. Trailer is just great. It's an 06 but he never used the majority of the stuff in the camper (never even used the oven/stove for example). It still smells brand new on the inside. Had what I was looking for in terms of a walk around master bedroom and plenty of seating in a big living area. The slide out just makes it very nice and roomy (and its a power slide out too!) He sold it to me with the WDH included for below low NADA value, just got an amazing deal on it. Was a very very nice Sr. MSGT from Elemendorf AFB here in Anchorage. Mike, if you are out there reading this (he driving an F-350! ), thanks again bro.

My F250 pulls it easily. Had to up my brake controller setting to 3.5 but other than that, it's great. It was really an eye opener when he dropped the tongue onto the hitch ball and the *** end of my truck dropped a few inches. Then he snapped on those WDH bars and they popped right back up. Very cool. Feel much safer with that on there.

Only problem I've got now is figuring out where I'm going to mount the TV's. There are two surfaces which are intended for TV placement but the walls behind them just don't seem thick enough to drill a wall mount onto. Probably going to have to end up using a drill-through tabletop style mount which I don't really mind.

But man, what a step up from my pop-up. I so can't wait for fishing season.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
Very nice looking trailer.

You're only running the brake controller at 3.5? Wow, that trailer must have some very responsive brakes.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
Very nice looking trailer.

You're only running the brake controller at 3.5? Wow, that trailer must have some very responsive brakes.
Was braking great, I initially had it at 1.5 (what I was using on my Fleetwood Evolution Popup), but kept adjusting it by + 0.5 increments on the drive home. 3.5 seemed to be the sweet spot. I didn't know if setting it too high/aggressive would be bad for the trailer brakes so I tried keeping it as low as possible.

Do you think that's too low? I know the factory controller goes up to a value of 10.0. I'm still hitched up right now, going to park it at one of our rental units (nice big lot) on my way to work tomorrow night. Maybe I'll try kicking it up another few notches and see how she feels.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
As long as the trailer contributes to the overall braking effort, probably not.

I use the factory recommended method of adjusting my TBC gain. The setting varies from 4 to 8.5 or 9 depending on my load and the weather. If your functions good at 3.5, it just means the trailer has good brakes.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
As long as the trailer contributes to the overall braking effort, probably not.

I use the factory recommended method of adjusting my TBC gain. The setting varies from 4 to 8.5 or 9 depending on my load and the weather. If your functions good at 3.5, it just means the trailer has good brakes.
The trailer was practically empty (all water/holding tanks completely drained, no type of fishing equipment or anything like that at all) and the weather was nice and clear with dry roads so maybe thats why it was working so well at such a low setting. I'd imagine once I get all the tanks full and cram the camper with all my fishing gear I'll probably have to kick it up a few notches.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Blondini
New User
If you wont to stop your caravan from swaying around all you have to do is put 2 sand bags on the deck, 45psi in the rear tyres and make sure you have at lest 60kgs of downward pressure on the tow ball. But the tyre pressure and sand bags should do it.

Chris
New Zealand

Old 04-28-2010, 04:15 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blondini
If you wont to stop your caravan from swaying around all you have to do is put 2 sand bags on the deck, 45psi in the rear tyres and make sure you have at lest 60kgs of downward pressure on the tow ball. But the tyre pressure and sand bags should do it.

Chris
New Zealand

Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
nice looking setup there. You will be very happy!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Blondini

Chris
New Zealand
and they make an anti-sway friction device that connects from the side of the trailer tongue rail to that hole in the hitch head. $40-50.. and you tighten the clamp to give you more sway control. worth it my opinion.
But you won't have as much sway with the 250 as the tow vehicle..

what?! no pics of the truck??? pretty nice trailer tho..

Sam

Old 04-28-2010, 06:05 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
and they make an anti-sway friction device that connects from the side of the trailer tongue rail to that hole in the hitch head. $40-50.. and you tighten the clamp to give you more sway control. worth it my opinion.
But you won't have as much sway with the 250 as the tow vehicle..

what?! no pics of the truck??? pretty nice trailer tho..

Sam
Did you not see my big blue F250 Lariat in the front of the camper?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by the_justin
Did you not see my big blue F250 Lariat in the front of the camper?
that one tiny pic of the pretty truck?!.. we need to see the insides, (under the sets, dash.. EVERYWHERE!, sorry.. got carried away..)

looks fabulous tho..

Sam

Quick Reply: 2009 F250 5.4L Towing Question (Urgent)