6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Flashing tow haul light UPDATE, FIXED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Nope, I don't have part numbers.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Northriver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Good luck with that, you'll need it. You don't seem to understand the difference between mechanical and electrical. The code that you stated above says that the solenoid is mechanically stuck. It doesn't say electrically. There is a separate code for that.

Since you don't want to replace that solenoid, here's another option. Remove solenoid "B" and save it. Buy a new transmission, remove the bad solenoid "B" from the new one, and install the mechanically stuck solenoid "B" in the new trans. Install the new trans in the truck. You may want to replace the entire wiring harness in the truck to eliminate all those pesky electrical problems.

Now you'll have the same problems with the new transmission, you will have spent thousands, and maybe then you'll believe the code that told you that solenoid "B" is stuck.

Got to love a guy with a sence of humor!!! What I was getting at is that the solenoid it part of the electrical system in the tranny. Some times they work good and sometimes they can be a pain to trouble shoot when they aren't acting up all the time.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Since you had, and still intermittently get, a code for the solenoid, then it is a no brainer to change it. It's fairly cheap IIRC and the tech can do it while he's there for something else. If you don't want to change it since it's not under warranty then I don't know what to tell you from here. It seems to be a constant source of your problems. You could do it in the driveway if you wanted to.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Northriver
Junior User
I got a call last night and they changed the solenoid and it didn't change the problem. Clean pan, clean filter in the pan and up front. Could the computer files be corrupt? Thats why I mentioned a reflash in a different post.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

As far as I know there hasn't been a change in TCM strategy for a LONG time. If you've done the KAM clear then the transmission will take a day or two or three to relearn itself. I'm kind of stumped. Mark may have some more answers for you.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Northriver
Could the computer files be corrupt?
I suppose anything is possible, but I've never seen that happen.

Did they clear the KAM? I would expect the values in the KAM to be way out from the bad solenoid. The TCM would be using that data to control the new solenoid. It might not be able to learn it's way out of that. Clearing the KAM will correct it. The first few shifts after clearing the KAM could be as bad as before, but give it some time to learn.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Northriver
Junior User
KAM? Keep alive memory correct? Is or can that be cleared by a diagnostic code reader or just by unplugging the batteries. He also told me later last night that he was brain storming with his tech that works for the warrenty company and they come up with three possible cures, clutch plates which are fine, replace solenild which they did and replace throttle position sensor which might be next. After the latest test drive the tranny acts normal, no 2-3 flare under hard to medium acceleration. Light to medium still flares pretty good. DO you think the TPS would have an inflluence on this part of the problem? Thanks, Todd

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

KAM clearing procedure: Disconnect BOTH batteries THEN turn on the headlamp switch for 10-30 minutes. Turn off the headlamp switch and reconnect the batteries. When you turn your ignition on the dash gauges should all do a complete needle sweep. Do the transmission relearn procedure before driving the truck then give it two or three days of driving before doing any more repairs and see if that helps.

The "TPS" is the fuel pedal assembly: $500-$800 bucks to replace. If it was bad you would have no throttle input.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Northriver
Junior User
Sounds good, I will suggest that to him. I called the dealership and asked about the price on that part and they told me $190. Maybe they got the wrong price and or part.
Is there a sensor in that assembly?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Northriver
Junior User
Well I got the truck back friday night and it drove and responded to the throttle like it should. Clean, firm shifts, pulls strong in every gear before it shifts and flat out hauls ars!!!! Pulled tranny off one last time and tore it down to find overdrive clutches burnt, pump valve worn to the point it wouldn't hold the correct pressure which caused the 2-3 flare and the loss of overdrive appon heavy acceleration. Bored out the valve to the next large valve size, replaced it and now it drives better then it ever has. The power transfer with a load on it is incredible. Didn't know what all I was missing. Thanks for everyones help. Todd

Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 AM
2005powerstroke4WD
Freshman User
Bumping an old thread. Looking for some help. Tow/haul starting blinking on me today. I am getting the P1744 code. Acting weird, not positive shifts like normal. Only after the light came on. Does the tranny go into some kind of "limp" mode? 2005 F350. 4X4. P1744 - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance, could this be as easy as a cheap solenoid?

Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Sir, I would start a NEW thread on your problem. You'll get better responses.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:33 AM
Patricia Leger
New User
Originally Posted by Northriver
New update, they think its a overdrive silenoid or overdrive clutch issue, find out more tommorrow when they pull the pan and take a look. i hope its just a electrical issue with the silenoid but realistically its probably a clutch and pieces issue, just my luck.
husband just fixed his problem like this. He burnt up a transmission bc the same problems as yours. Put a new one and had the same problems, come to find out there were two wires in the transmission wire harness that were torn!! Problem fixed hope this may help

Old 09-28-2023, 05:05 AM
Cwstrine1004
1st Gear
Same problem

Originally Posted by Patricia Leger
husband just fixed his problem like this. He burnt up a transmission bc the same problems as yours. Put a new one and had the same problems, come to find out there were two wires in the transmission wire harness that were torn!! Problem fixed hope this may help
Can you please tell me the location of the wires that were broke I'm having the same problem I have a 2005 Ford F-350 it only has 19,600 miles on it seriously very low miles I have the same problem that starts out in third gear it seems like the tow haul mode light flashes it'll be fine and then it'll start doing this crap LOL I had a feeling that there was wires that were broke but to actually go through the whole harness that is a job and if you could tell me a location to start out at so I don't have to go through the whole harness that would be so helpful
thanks

Last edited by Cwstrine1004; 09-28-2023 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:18 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
If this thread could just die, we'd all be better off. Start a new thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by IHateCommieCars:

Quick Reply: Flashing tow haul light UPDATE, FIXED!!!