Rod Doors ABS Headliner Kit Install - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rod Doors ABS Headliner Kit Install

Old 02-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Gear Up
Senior User
Gear Up is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey fenders I think someone mentioned something the other evening about using the glues in a wel ventilated area. I'm glad you didn't suffer any serious side effects. If you furnace isn't a closed system you might have been looking at a new garage and project vehicle. What I haven't been able to figure out yet is the numbering system for the glues. The 8090 and 8088 are desigated to the auto industry and the 77 and 90 must be for the hardware store or houlsehold use department. can anyone shead light on this or should I contact the 3M product rep.?

Old 02-03-2003, 09:11 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

Thanks Carlene, I am sure I am learning as much as everyone else. Pretty busy at work so I am going to post some commentary tonight and pictures tomorrow. It will make more sense with illustrations. I fear I am getting too deep into the upholstery rather than the install of Rod Doors Headliner. Maybe I should delete the fabric part. Not really sure at this point.

I started on the center section with an 80 grit scuff and a rinse job in the shower. After thoroughly drying, I laid the cloth on the liner. I marked center and about 10 inches each side of center. Basically cutting a 20 inch path through the middle of the liner. You can use chalk or masking tape or anything non-permanent. It is easy to set the fabric on crooked without some guides. Glue was applied to liner in 3 coats at 90 degrees angles for thorough coverage. Then one light coat to the fabric back. I remembered to turn off the heater tonight. You definitely need an assistant for a piece of fabric this large. Pull the slack out of fabric and bring it down straight onto the panel. Best if you drop the fabric once without repositioning.

I like to cover panels with a swathe down the center and then work my way out to each side. Interested to hear Gear Ups technique. 20 inch path is about the largest I have ever attempted.

I had to be patient not to work the fabric in with my magic 39 cent bondo squeegy too soon. Mrs 'fender's made me wait about 5 extra minutes tonight. She has lived through glue soakage before and doesn't care to re-live it I guess. No glue soakage so far. Time to do another section and hopefully some PICs tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:23 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

Originally posted by Gear Up
Hey fenders I think someone mentioned something the other evening about using the glues in a wel ventilated area. I'm glad you didn't suffer any serious side effects. If you furnace isn't a closed system you might have been looking at a new garage and project vehicle. What I haven't been able to figure out yet is the numbering system for the glues. The 8090 and 8088 are desigated to the auto industry and the 77 and 90 must be for the hardware store or houlsehold use department. can anyone shead light on this or should I contact the 3M product rep.?
Are you lecturing me Gear Up Somebody needs to I guess. Keep in mind I did not have to admit my stupidity in public so be gentle. I was gluing one lousy little side panel in a 700 square foot garage. It reminded me of Tric 1.1.1. burning off in open flame. No exagerration It will put you on the floor and crawling for the door quick. You can't describe the way it feels in your lungs. Anyway, I will be more careful for sure.

Please do contact the 3M rep if you would because I say 3M 90 and 8090 are not the same product. They don't look, act, or dry the same. They are both very strong adhesives. 77, 80, 90 can graphics are very sharp and definitely appear to be intended for a retail audience.

Old 02-03-2003, 09:43 PM
Gear Up
Senior User

Whatever works fenders. Patience is the answer. If I had done it there would have been a fold at the center and would have glued one half at a time. your way would allow for more control and was a wise move. I have done this for a living and you haven't; glad to hear that it went well. You have the advantage over me in thqt Mrs. fenders was willing to help. Mrs. Gear Up doesn't have anything to do with what I do for a living. I am the craftsman and the two of us don't work in the shop well. The oldest son is the one that comes to my aide.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Gear up

The reason I asked is because numerous automotive sources recommend working in areas only 2 SQ FT at a time. That seems ridiculously conservative. I am a rookie and I can do it in sections two to three times that large without problems. Provided you have an extra set of hands for the initial placement for the large pieces.

Regarding Mrs. 'fenders, she does door panel flames, sets cab glass and a few other handy skills. I don't want you thinking she rebuilds transmissions or anything Mostly she just enforces rules like "No interior glue spraying in the house" and such.

If you get a chance, compare the label on a can of 3M 90 to 8090. You'll see the big difference in working times. I don't think 90 would be ideal for oddly shaped of sculpted items.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Kenny
Posting Guru
Kenny is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Kenny is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Hi fenders,
This is a great thread!

Carlene,
Great idea! consider it done.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:19 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Here is the center panel after an 80 grit scuff and a thorough wash and dry. Almost ready for pretty stuff!

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfenders/sandedpanel.jpg

Old 02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

A little tough to tell what I am doing here. As mentioned previously, I prefer to start gluing from the center. I am marking the center 20 inches of both panel and the fabric. Absolute precision not required. We aren't installing a suspension. There is nothing magic about 20 inches.

You are going to apply glue to both pieces and you want the glue to match up. Don't ever try to glue something this large in one shot. It would be near impossible to manage.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...enterstrip.jpg

Old 02-05-2003, 07:40 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Here is the center panel with fabric completed and the edges trimmed. Note the fabric does not wrap around this panel. It is trimmed flush to edge with a razor. You want the panel as slim as possible because it tucks behind the rear rubber glass seal, headliner rubber trim and enters the groove on the side panels.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...abdone_731.jpg

Old 02-05-2003, 08:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Here are the side panels. The front side is done but fabric is not yet wrapped around the back where appropriate. Note the fabric is cut flush where it is covered by rubber trim seal on your truck. The top and bottom gets wrapped.

I have cut reliefs to allow the fabric to make the bends smoothly. This is the part where I will appreciate the flexibility of my cloth. This is tougher with a heavier material.

These last few PIC are pretty big and should show good detail. My fabric looks weird until it is combed in the same direction. It appears to have glue soak but it is not really there. I got lucky this time.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...beforetuck.jpg

Old 02-06-2003, 05:57 PM
52F2
Freshman User
52F2 is starting off with a positive reputation.

'fenders
Nice thread on interior work. Glad to see a fellow Iwegian getting something done to his ride. I am still looking at mine trying to decide which way to go.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:17 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

The fabric is now complete. Here is a PIC of one of the side panels.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...elcomplete.jpg

Trying to describe the fabric gluing process was much more difficult than I ever imagined. As much as I tried to get indepth, my documentary here falls far short of what is required if you have no experience in this area. Ask away if anyone has a question. Definitely research the subject as much as yu can before attempting your own truck.

If a tech article comes to pass, there will be no description of the upholstering process. There are simply too many questions remaining for me to attempt to pass myself off as an authority on the subject. I enjoyed sharing the process, I learned from other posters and am happy with the outcome. This forum is a better place to discuss and learn new procedures than a tech article. When I read a tech article, I assume the author considers himself very knowledgeable. That just isn't the case here and I don't want to risk someone making an assumption such as this on a headliner tech article.

Now for the fun part, trying to stuff this thing in my truck without tearing stuff up. I should have time to get started tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Gear Up
Senior User

Alright fenders! When it goes in and fits as you hoped and the headliner makes a good addition to the interior it gives a great feeling of accomplishment. From the pictures you have shared and the threads I've been a part of I can say with all honesty that the headliner is usually the most difficult part of the interior to complete but one of the first things to be done to complete the interior out. What you do first build the base for the rest of the interior. Stretching the headliner is most often the most demanding procedure of an interior so I'ld say you have done well. I have spent time thinking of you on this project and enjoyed the diaolg that has come out of the past few pages of posts. Take care and good luck on the rest of the project.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

I had a bit of a disappointment today. I thought that I had a new headliner rubber seal ready for this project. I did not, but I was very anxious to see how everything fit so I decided to use my old one and at least throw the center panel up for a test fit. Not a job I care to do twice but I thought I would see how far I could get before the difficulty set in.

You definitely want to use all new rubber seals on the headliner and also the rear window. It is imperative for both ease of installation and a gapless install. Not to mention you will have less risk of peeling the fabric loose around the edges that are not wrapped. You should also make sure the ledge above the door and the seals are free of dirt that will soil your new fabric.

I basically followed the instructions and my experience was similar to the few other forum members that have installed these headliners. The center panel installed very easily. I inserted the liner into the headliner seal at the windshield, ensuring it was centered. (Get it centered perfectly, you canít adjust it later, it will not budge once in the seal.) Next your firmly conform the liner to the cab roof and work your way to the back window. The ABS is very flexible and conforms well if your garage is heated. I highly recommend this not be attempted at much under 70 degrees. When I got to the rear, the liner was just above the window seal. I took my fingers and simply peeled the seal over the liner. Center panel took a little under 10 minutes to install. You can see from the PICs below the fit is excellent at the seals. The liner hugs the roofline firmly. More on this in a moment.

Now for a side panel, let the fun begin. You have to pull the liner down six inches with one hand and slide the side panel groove over it. It feels like you may break the center panel but it is quite flexible. With your third hand, you need to straighten the center panel flat so it wonít spit the side panel out of the groove. Now take your fourth hand and get the rubber seal out of the way so you can set it all in place. I did this by myself. After almost an hour I figured out where to merge the panels so you could push it up and slide it forward the last half inch into the headliner seal. I donít think there are any tricks to make it real easy. You finally just get lucky and mesh the panels in the perfect location. I did not take any PICs before I dropped the side panel back down. I will have an assistant when I do the final install with new headliner seal. The fit was excellent where the panels merge with no gaps at all on the seam. I had a small gap in the front corner where the old headliner seal was just not pliable enough.

The Rod Doors ABS headliner is probably the best fitting aftermarket rod part I have ever purchased. I would not consider it an easy installation, but if you take your time, the results can look absolutely professional.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...windshield.jpg

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...indowseal2.jpg

http://www.clubfte.com/users/fatfend...windowseal.jpg

I have some traveling requirements at work so it will be some time before the final install is complete. Iíll dig this thread up and post the final PICs at that time. Thanks again to all who helped.

Old 02-09-2003, 07:54 AM
cabby daddy
Senior User
cabby daddy is starting off with a positive reputation.

dewayne,

This is a serious question, not being a smart aleck.... Is that carpet pad above your headliner? if it is, how or what did you use to glue it up there? and one more question... if the roof has condensation won't this hold the water?

i am sure it is a great sound deadener...

Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rod Doors ABS Headliner Kit Install

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.