General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

thinking of buying my first gun.....need some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:31 PM
icelander
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Oct-02 AT 07:33 PM (EST)] i just bought my first home and have been living here for about 1 and 1/2 months. the house is wonderful( close to 100yrs old but in beautiful shape, 5 bdrms, 2 full baths, full basement and a really big yard by city dwelling standards) but the neighborhood isnt really that great. its not the kinda place you go for a nice evening stroll after dinner.

about 2 weeks ago a man came to the front door and asked my girlfriend, who was home alone at the time, if there was any mail here for him. he said he had lived here for three years and had just recently moved out. my girlfriend was polite and said that nobody had gotten any mail here but us. she got on the phone and called the leasing company we bought the house from and began asking questions. as it turns out....nobody had lived in this house for more than 6 months before we bought it. and before that, while they owned it, nobody ever lived here for more than one year or so at a time.

that episode, combined with the neighborhood, has me thinking its time to get a firearm and learn how to use it. ive shot a few guns in my time but never owned or cared for one. id also like for my girlfriend to learn how to use it. ive been looking in the local sporting goods stores ads and im not sure what i want or need. i dont really want to spend alot of money, maybe 100 to 150 dollars. ive seen plenty of guns in that price range but which would be best for me? a shotgun...what gauge? a rifle....what cal. and do i want semi-auto or bolt action? i dont think i want a handgun, a friend of mine wants me to maybe start hunting with him so i thing a rifle or shotgun is the way to go.

what do yall think?

thanx in advance

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth"

Old 10-22-2002, 07:14 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think a shotgun might fill the bill. In a stressful situation, which is what you can assume if you ever had to use it, your chances of hitting what you're aiming at are better. Since you may want to go hunting with it, get a 12 gauge. Fit it with an adjustable choke and leave it set wide open for self defense. A shotgun is also less likely to penetrate through you house wall and then into the neighbors house endangering your neighbor, unles you shoot through a window. A good firearms dealer can set you up with an organization offering a gun safety course, or call your states Game and Parks Dept.
Good luck, and I hope you never have to use it for anything other than hunting.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:17 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User

There are lots of variables in your question. You need to evaluate your situation: kids, neighbors, skill, experience. Your dollar figure will limit your choices also. There are lots of shotguns out there that can be had for your price range. Loaded with #4 buck a 12 gauge will shoot about 27 pellets a round and will do an amazing amount of damage. A shotgun is more politically correct if that is a problem in your area. They are more user friendly also. Whatever you buy, go out and shoot it so you will know what to expect. Take your significant other with you and wear ear protection. I recently purchased a nice double for $200 and you probably can get one for less. A double barrel is stone simple to operate but you are limited to two shots without reloading. Personally, I keep a 12 ga. pump by the back door. It is an 8 shot 'riot' model equipped with a flashlight, with a tape switch mounted on it. You don't need to aim it, just put the light on the suspsious object, identify it and pull the trigger(if it is deserving of being destroyed). I also keep and use handguns, but I feel that they require a little more skill and practice. That is why I recommend a shotgun for those who may not get an opportunity to practice. You might check around and see if there is an NRA certified instructor in your area. He(she) can make other recommendations. Join the NRA, they are the final line of defense of the 2nd Ammendment. It's money well spent.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:14 PM
91f250460
Senior User

A shotgun is your best choice. That way you can hunt with your friend and protect your house. In your price range I am not sure what is available, but for a little more, say $250 total, you can get a remington 870 express. This is a great starter gun, easy to use and maintain with many options and features available. Besides it's pump action, somebody comes in your house all you have to do is pump it once and they will be outta there in a hurry.
T. Roberts
UFD Local 1147

Old 10-22-2002, 09:28 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. A shotgun has that get out appeal to the bad guy.

Jim
CYWG

77 F150

Old 10-22-2002, 10:11 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definantly go with a shotgun. if the wife is going to use it though, get a 20. guage shotgun. a 12 guage takes a bit out of me when shooting one ounce 3" magnum slugs, and im a 6 foot 1 180 pound guy. a 20. guage can be used for self defense, deer hunting, and with the right barrel it can be used for bird hunting and trap shooting also. i just prefer a 12 guage because i am the only user.

i just bought a NEW remington 870 12 guage for about $300 dollars. the barrel is for slugs only, shorter barrel so it would work good for home defense.

i would suggest getting a -combo- 870, with a field barrel and slug barrel. BUT if you change barrels back and forth, the slug barrel gets through off sight and wont be accurate til you resight it in.

my other remington 870- my father bought used for 50 bucks 25 years ago and gave it to me 2 years ago. still shoots like a dream.

so, shotguns are the all around weapon. low priced, easy to use, cheap ammunition, and get the point through. if someone is in your home and you rack up a round in the chamber, THEY WILL HEAR IT.

ive owned handguns for a few years, it takes alot to master using one.

hope this LONG story helps you out.

BuiltToughF250

Old 10-22-2002, 10:27 PM
icelander
Elder User

thanks for the advice so far. i wish i still had the ads from the stores so i could better explain the models im looking at. i think i agree that a shotgun would be best. i saw one that i liked, the ad said it was a "special purpous" shotgun. it was pump action, bottom load and eject?, black with black synthetic stock and looked as though it had a much shorter length barrel than regular shotguns and was 109 dollars on sale.

a rifle i was looking at was made by Savage and was black with synthetic stock, 22cal semi-auto with a detachable 10 shot clip and a scope. the price was 99 dollars. i dont think i need all that though and 66 Ranger's point about a shotgun not penetrating my walls and endangering my neighbors is something i didnt even think about. my(immediate) neighbors are really good folks. by the way 66 Ranger.....i like the flashlight setup you spoke of. it would be great for someone like me, to be able to illuminate the area i point the gun and identify the potential threat since i dont leave many lights on in my house at night, would be a great help. can i buy some kind of kit to fit the gun i buy or do i have to buy the gun with it on there?

i know im being kinda cheap with my price range but its really all i have to spend right now. not only that but this is my first one and im sure once i learn more, ill want new ones to match my skill and understanding. i dont plan to just buy this thing and stick it in my closet until someone threatens my home.

one more question. do you have to do the whole 5 day waiting period? if so, what can i expect with that whole thing? ive never been arrested or charged with a crime. i have a few traffic tickets but thats it. i know yall are probably laughing at me by now but im serious. i have no idea how this works and i wanted to know so that i can go and fill out the paperwork tomorrow so i can buy whatever i decide on when i get paid at the end of the week.

thanx again

"happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth"

Old 10-22-2002, 10:34 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Oct-02 AT 11:39 PM (EST)]my 2 cents....
a shotgun is probably a good choice, but not without some drawbacks.
Can't carry it with you (from a practical standpoint) can be dangerous (if semiauto) and you and others are not FULLY comfortable with that operation. Can create confusion and a missed second chance (if pump action) and you are not FULLY comfortable with that operation. Limited number of shots if single or double. BUT, not many folks would argue with the business end of a shotgun!
IF you look into handguns, I strongly suggest a .38 revolver. Utterly simple and very safe - especially if you get a double action only. A good steel frame revolver (e.g. Taurus, Rossi, etc) can be bought for around $150 new. As far as ammo, the best (IMHO) is the +P or +P+ lead semi wad cutter hollow point. (A good steel frame revolver will handle +P+ as a defense round, but not a steady diet. But, you wouldn't do that anyways.) Some might argue, but all my reading leads me to carry that round in my defense revolver.
MOST IMPORTANT THING - TRAINING and SAFETY.
Best of luck,
Brian A

edited to add...do NOT underestimate how hard it is to accurately fire a handgun. You CAN miss a big target at close range. If possible, go to a gun range with someone you know who has guns.

Old 10-22-2002, 11:18 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru

most ranges rent out shotguns, rifles, and handguns. by renting a few you might get to know what makes you the most comfortable.

CHEAPER is not always BETTER. so, lest say this time you need the gun doesnt come up for 4 months, well, if you put away 100 per month and think about it all, by then youll have 300 bucks towards a really trusty gun.

i REALLY dont like the pump shotguns that load and eject shells from the bottom. GET a remington 870. youll never regret it.

go to the range with someone who knows alot about firearms. an friend, or uncle, even a neighboor. just dont ever tell anyone what gun you bought or WHERE YOU KEEP IT !!!

its hard to know who you can truely trust. be safe and dont rush into this. if you decide not to keep a CHEAP gun they are very hard to re-sell.

if you live in minnesota i could take you to a few ranges and let you test out some of my handguns, rifles or shotguns. good luck and be CAREFUL

BuiltToughF250

Old 10-23-2002, 07:32 AM
tw
More Turbo

I agree with most every one here, a Remington 870 is a very trustworthy weapon, in 12 or 20 guage. A shorter barel will be easier to control. The pump sound will scare most anyone away.
Dont wory about buying used either. Go to pawn shops and look around. Handle lots of them, so you know what to look for. Ask lots of questions from the owners.
Many stores around here sell both used and new. Look down the barel for signs of neglect. check out the action. Does it feel right? Many things are just personal prefrence.
Dont get in a hurry, this is a big decision. If you buy something you are not comfortable with, you wont use it.
Have fun.

Tony Warren
Nebraska

Old 10-23-2002, 07:50 AM
russellkr
Senior User

I agree that a pump shotgun is the best for home defense, easy to aim, load, and obtain ammo for.
But BEST of all it has the most recognizable sound in the world. when you pump it and rack one into the chamber anybody in your house (or just outside the window) is gonna know exactly what you just did. not too many people are going to walk through a door after they hear that coming from the other side.
Personally I keep #4 bird shot for hunting and home defense, at close range (none of the rooms in my hosue are bigger than 20X20) you will have plenty power, but it is something that the ol lady can handle without freaking out.

Also, I would look at pawn shops and sporting goods stores for a used gun. I got a Sears&Roebuck (winchester 1800 or something like that) for $100.

But you can pick up a mossberg for less than an 870, if you want to go with a new gun. I thin the mossberg product is pretty comparable, it just doesn't have the same finish.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Brncomtb
Senior User

I am not sure if any one has already said this but get a Pump shot gun. I have always just imagined that if you were to walk outta your bedroome to the top of the steps and rack the gun...that I think would be one of the scariest noises ever if I were the bad guy. Just my opinion oh and by the way that remington 870 does make a great home defense gun. know several people who use it for that purpose.

JON

Old 10-23-2002, 10:01 AM
ForDen
Senior User

Someone had mentioned Mossberg a couple of posts ago. I was looking for a cheap gun to take camping for general target shooting, and also so I didn't mess up my Browning. I stumbled across this site. http://www.dtdistributors.com/gunsammo.html , Also has a 9mm for real cheap. Again with almost all things in life, You get what you Pay for. These shotguns are fine for close (hopefully not too close) range, and will dismantle any intruder. They probably won't do for repeated shots at speedy fowl though. Also training with any firearm is a must! Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:10 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a big dog.

They are more multipurpose. But a bit harder to clean...

Old 10-23-2002, 10:28 AM
russellkr
Senior User

here is a site with lots of used guns:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/fast.cgi?guncat=2080
I would probably not buy one online, as I like to see/feel things like this for myself before I buy.
Just so you can see the various models and prices, I am sure that you could find similar info on the ol 870's

Quick Reply: thinking of buying my first gun.....need some help/advice