Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 uhaul to pickup conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM
51steve
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile F350 uhaul to pickup conversion?

Hello Everyone,

It’s my first time posting to this chat group, and it seems quite active, so I’m hoping someone has an answer to my question.

Is it possible to buy a U Haul F350 box truck, remove the box, and install a pickup bed without too much modifications?

The reason I am asking is that we’ll be moving 900 miles from our current location, and was thinking instead of throwing away $1400 on rental costs, I’ll buy a used U haul, use it for the purpose of moving, pull off the box, and install a F350 bed.

I’ve looked at the suspension and fuel tank of a few U Haul F350’s but I haven't looked at the suspension system on a F350 pick-up. I assume the fuel tank is not the same.

Yes, I have an alternative (more common sense plan). It is to buy mid 2000’s F150 (V-6 or V-8, what’s your suggestion?) and tow a 12’x6’ covered U haul trailer and make two trips.

It would be nice to get a big F350 to use when building our house, (towing a small rental backhoe, lumber etc). But I think the risks, (U haul’s aren’t treated nicely) outweigh the benefits, but I would like the posters here to lay my idea of converting a U haul to a pickup to rest.

Thanks for your time,

51Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I can't rember as my Dad used to work on them u-haul trucks 20 plus years ago. Check the wheel base, most pickups are 133 inch standard cab long bed, I think u-haul F350 trucks were longer depending on which box it has on it. Also check out the frames as I do think u-haul had custom frames made so a standard ford pickup box may not fit.

I would make up a flat bed on the uhaul truck frame and use the box as a shed if I did get one myself.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 PM
inline6/91f150
New User
If your building a house may not be a bad idea to keep the box on. You sound like a DIY'er so you will probably be doing alot with the construction. I'd keep the box on for hauling cabnets, appliances ect. and then remove box later if needed. May save you a headache later on. I do know Uhaul watches their fleet close, so you may be better off buying from them then a dealer, at least you know they have an interest in maintaining their property. As for a pu box, i like Ed's idea. Then you can just bolt down boards in a frame or go with a steel bed. put mountsl on the side and build side rails out of 2 x 4's for optional application. (ofcourse make sure it's DOT spec.) Good luck!!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
slayerman54
Senior User
A neighbor of mine just did the same conversion you mentioned. He pulled the box off and used it as a storage shed and built a wood bed to fit the long wheelbase. He is in the process of building a custom steel bed for it now but even with a wood bed painted black it still looks good. The thing is a monster and it tows like a train.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The U-haul truck started life as what's known as a stripped chassis, meaning no bed of any kind on the frame. The major difference between these trucks and regular pickup trucks is the frame width, the pickup truck frame is like 4" or so wider than the frame of the U-haul, and so is the rear axle if both trucks are duallies, meaning the pickup bed will be too wide for the striped chassis with a dually axle. A flatbed would work real nice tho, and there's plenty of nice flat beds out there.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
^^^ what he said^^^ the cab-and-chassis have a 4" narrower frame than a pick up. So you would have to drill holes inward of the factory bed bolt fot it to bolt down. And then the cab-n-chassis axlea are narrower as well so the tires will be tucked way under the dually fenders. Then you also have to worry about the wheel base difference between the pick up and cab-n-chassis. be if you are inclined, then what the heck

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Brian Abington
Junior User
You could use a sawzall and cut off the upper part of the box, making it into a bed, and you would have a ramp.

I'd be carefull though...I have never driven a uhaul that was in good shape. Loaded and empty they shook and shuddered horribly, and the transmissions always had a hard time deciding on what gear it wanted to use to get up hill. So be prepared to possibly put lots of money into repairs.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brian Abington
You could use a sawzall and cut off the upper part of the box, making it into a bed, and you would have a ramp.

I'd be carefull though...I have never driven a uhaul that was in good shape. Loaded and empty they shook and shuddered horribly, and the transmissions always had a hard time deciding on what gear it wanted to use to get up hill. So be prepared to possibly put lots of money into repairs.
What He said!!!
I thought I was the only one!
Some people who rent these trucks shouldn't be driving them! I can't believe one doesn't need a special license to operate them!

Anyway, I second the poster that said to just leave the box on the truck! Myself, I would love to have a truck like this! You have some wheels turning in my head now.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM
capn kirk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i picked up a uhaul (long story needed to rent a car to get home all they had was the one that i believe is 2nd biggest) and it ran great. Had a v10 was pretty clean shifted smooth and didnt ride half bad at all really no worse than my truck.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I rember my Dad complaining about the gear jammers and clutch busters back in the day. The average driver would usually burn up a clutch with their 1st truck! I would go with him on a road call at 2am usually....

After the vehicle is "retired" from fleet, it does have a inspection done in it(that was 20 years ago) and was repaired. Now days I don't know how its done.

I did stop by a old u-haul that was setting around behind a house few weeks ago, but it was a chevy chassis... rats

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
51steve
New User
thanks everyone

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep in mind the flatbed option, but for now I think I will be looking more into a used F150. I can get a fleet owned (or one owner) F150 and a trailer for the same price as a used Uhaul. I'll keep everyone updated.

51Steve

Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
FlatBedUHaul
New User
Question Hi 51Steve

I am new to this Forum,just wanted to put my two cents in to your question, I bought a 1990 14 foot F-350 IDI Diesel U-Haul to pull my camper and carry camping stuff(bikes,grill,golfcart,etc.).anyway I decided to convert my u-haul by cutting part of the box off and making it to a flatbed with part of the front bed made into a sleeper, well this things has a lot more pulling power and faster pickup, I would like to post some pics on here but not sure how!!! someone please give me some instructions on posting pics thanks Alex

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
mstromni
Senior User
I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet, but it is certainly possible to install the pickup bed. You would need something similar to brackets used up front for the body mounts (6, 2" long pieces of 3x3, 1/4" angle iron would do it), bolt them to to frame, and bolt the bed to that. The bed rails (and all the weight) will still sit directly on the frame, all the brackets do is keep it from moving around. It would be some work, but certainly more straightforward than lots of other things people do!

One other thing, the axle is going to be ~ 4 inches behind it's normal mounting, meaning either the wheel won't be centered in the bedside, or you have to get creative with a 4" gap between the cab and bed.

It would be a great place to mount a light bar

Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Darshana72
New User
51steve,
It is to buy mid 2000’s F150 (V-6 or V-8, what’s your suggestion?)

I think V-8 is better then V-6.
Thank you.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:50 AM
mstromni
Senior User
Uhh..towing a backhoe? Definitly a v8, but I am not sure if a 150 is going to handle the tounge weight of a backhoe.

Quick Reply: F350 uhaul to pickup conversion?