6G Alternator / ECM or no ECM? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

6G Alternator / ECM or no ECM?

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 04-17-2010, 12:21 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.

On a 2005 E Series with a 6.0 and a single alternator, can anyone tell me if it uses a 6G alternator with or without the ECM control?

Here are the two possibilities;

6G without ECM control from the Instrument Panel. (Grey and black regulator)

Other possibility:

6G with ECM control --- white regulator:

On my Grey D plug, there is a Light Green /Red stripe wire that with ignition on, tests with weak / low or no voltage.

The other wire (yellow?) is the Stator wire and it tests with good voltage.

Do I have a wire break in the Light Green / Red stripe wire?

Or do I have a defective ECM (if equipped)?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
This is for a 2004 F-250. I don't think a 2005 E series would be different. Single alternator does not involve the PCM. Dual alternator is different and does involve the PCM.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2010, 06:03 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
the grn/red wire should light up a low amp test light dimmly its just the sense circuit. I dont know if they ever corrected the book on that I know the book was a cut and paste at one point genric test.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I was poking around my service manual and found this. It might help you with your problem.

FYI: I use ALLDATAdiy.com :: Leading Source of Diagnostic and Repair Information. It's about $26 for a 1 year subscription ($45 for 5 years) for the first vehicle, $17 ($30 for 5 years) for additional vehicles. It appears to be the actual Ford service manual that the tech's have. It has all the pinpoint tests, diagrams, exploded views, updated TSB's, etc, etc. It's pretty complete. I use it a lot.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
is that 8-9 volts back probed or at the connector face?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
is that 8-9 volts back probed or at the connector face?
It doesn't say. But I'm assuming it's back probed with the connector connected. If the connector was disconnected, then the A and B+ circuits, plus the battery, wouldn't be at 13-15 volts, because the alternator wouldn't be attempting to charge. They'd be at 12.5 or so.

I think.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
I think too.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
dchamberlin, cheezit, bismic, and all the rest of you.

You just beat out my garage's tech... congratulations as always.

The Light Green / Red circuit, according to you, is suppose to test 1-3v with ignition on and engine not running....

I am going to go see him armed with that hot little bit of info.

Just to be sure, I am probably going to replace the Alternator pigtail --- as I believe that wiring is a notable point of failure.

Let me thank all of you for kindly helping me.... generously and graciously.... thanks thanks thanks..

You guys are the best!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
read your other post I covered the connector there

Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Fluid Power
Senior User
Fluid Power is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
This is for a 2004 F-250. I don't think a 2005 E series would be different. Single alternator does not involve the PCM. Dual alternator is different and does involve the PCM.

Just wondering where the fuse links physically are in a 2004 F350? (the links shown in the above drawing)

Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
the links are at the +battery lead at the right side battery afew incheh up from were it hooks on the positive end.