Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Headers (hopefully) going in this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:19 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Blark, that sounds like it had a P1000 (not all tests completed) code. Which is NORMAL for our OBD-I trucks.

That code may or may not actually BE there, but some of the monitors, like O2 heater, Cat efficiency, etc, never complete, and actually SHOW incomplete.

Chances are, you just went through what I went through in NY - I had the OBD-II test done two years, it passed, then it didn't because they changed the software to a stricter test. Then found out they need to do a sniffer test, had that done like 2 more years, and now they don't require shops to keep sniffers (calibration is expensive and they had it doing it like every test, with CO and NOx tanks to verify it was actually doing it right - maybe they banned one of those things or something). So, last year I had no sniffer, no OBD-II, nothing.

But back to what really happened in your case: Your truck has the OBD-II connector, but is not OBD-II compliant. There is a chance (like in NY) that they have to enter a "weight code" saying the truck is over 8500 lbs GVWR even though passenger-car registrations show the unladen weight.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Blark
On a different note....For the first time since I put the headers on I had to get an E-check for the state of Ohio....dumb imo.
Anyways, they had to do the old style test where they run the truck at 2500rpm for a few mins., they normall just hook into the computer and I'm done in 5.
They said they had to do it that way cause some sensors weren't firing or registering...something of the sort. They asked if I had any work done over the past few weeks, which I haden't.

My question is do I need to get anything tuned due to the headers? I thought the computer would correct any changes am I wrong? Or perhaps I just have other issues, don't know of any though.
Us country bumpkins in Ohio don't have to worry about such things. You must live near Cleveland than. I haven't reviewed the entire text but the link below makes no mention of E-Check being required for vehicles over 8,500lbs GVWR.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...TEXT&YEAR=2003

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
Us country bumpkins in Ohio don't have to worry about such things. You must live near Cleveland than. I haven't reviewed the entire text but the link below makes no mention of E-Check being required for vehicles over 8,500lbs GVWR.
I suspect the inspector didn't know that

That's what happened to me in NY a few times. Since my registration says 5600 lbs (unladen), he did it as a passenger car and it failed.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamMudd
i have preached on here about the results that i witnessed with the ebay knock offs. some members bashed me, some said the headers i saw were abbused (through what i wrote), and even one claimed that i raced my F250 and i couldn't comment on a street driven truck application......

well sorry for ya'll issues, and i do hope you get them fixed for the time being, but i do hope that you look into a better set.

i am bias as to what brand, i'm running BANKS on my F250 and they are great! never had an issue.
my banks headers have been on my truck for 10 plus years, not a leak, not a crack, nadda. i installed them in my driveway and have not looked back. for what its worth, my cousin wanted to be different so he went borla, well, two blown gaskets and two separate cracks later, he should have just went with banks....good luck to you sir!!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
my banks headers have been on my truck for 10 plus years, not a leak, not a crack, nadda. i installed them in my driveway and have not looked back. for what its worth, my cousin wanted to be different so he went borla, well, two blown gaskets and two separate cracks later, he should have just went with banks....good luck to you sir!!
SO all and all what are the best headers are there to go with on the v10. I am thinking of changing mine from stock so please share and let me know as I am making very little money in the army and dont want to waste a dollar making a mistake. Thanks for any replies.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Mud-and-Guts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ridenred333
SO all and all what are the best headers are there to go with on the v10. I am thinking of changing mine from stock so please share and let me know as I am making very little money in the army and dont want to waste a dollar making a mistake. Thanks for any replies.
There is a lot of different opinions on this but I went with the Gibsons and love them! They really help with low end power and made mine rev a lot quicker.. I know Gibsons are high but I found a place online that had them for 550 with free shipping then called Summit and they price matched, had them here in just a few days...

Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Blark
Freshman User
Gibsons for the win! Love them and bought them at summit racing as well.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Blark
Freshman User
Curious if anyone has had any issues with there headers since the last time I posted on this topic.

Mine seem to have had a leak. I had the wife take it into a garage I trust since I was out of town for a month. I wanted to get it checked out just to be in the know.

They told her that the driver side was leaking at the flange due it possibly getting warped. I dismissed that as I don't believe that that could have happened. I haven't been hard on it as well.

I need to have a look myself when I get home, just trying to get a heads up is all.
I put the gibson stainless steel on. Not 100% stainless but a sort of stain resistant.

Just find it hard to believe they could have warped.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:38 PM
rwchugger
New User
Sorry man...been there

I fell for the Ebay headers...twice. Driver's side failure both times. My Gibson's on my 350 did not fail before the wreck. Unfortunately, pay the $$$$.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Blark
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rwchugger
I fell for the Ebay headers...twice. Driver's side failure both times. My Gibson's on my 350 did not fail before the wreck. Unfortunately, pay the $$$$.
I put Gibson's on mine. No eBay headers here. Even put stainless steel to keep the rust down.