Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Headers (hopefully) going in this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after a few days of driving with the headers wrapped up, I think it's running better. It's probably just in my head - but I'm ok with that!

I feel like the trans shifts better too.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Rugby3
Elder User
To show some solidarity with Grec-O-Face on his rusted out shocks here is one of mine. This is the good side, the inboard is easily 4 times worse. I'll post some pics up of them all when I change them out in a month or so.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
My Rancho 9000x's are FUNKY rusty - bad enough I'm waiting for them to rot through.

A few years ago, we had a run of really icy weather for about 2 months and they ran out of potassium or calcium chloride and started using what seemed to be sodium chloride - regular table salt. Everything went to hell in a handbasket pretty quick that winter

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was at Lowes and decided to look for the Stainless Steel (SS) wire ties, no luck at Lowes. I'll try Home Depot. I'm planning to wrap the headers before I install them. Any words of wisdom to make the job easier?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mr-Pipeline
Was at Lowes and decided to look for the Stainless Steel (SS) wire ties, no luck at Lowes. I'll try Home Depot. I'm planning to wrap the headers before I install them. Any words of wisdom to make the job easier?
Make sure you leave enough room to get a wrench onto the flange bolts. I noticed after I wrapped that some of the bolts were VERY difficult to reach with a wrench (nevermind a socket).

Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Old Time RV'er
Junior User
What did you do about your crossover pipe?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m installing E-Bay headers on my V10 while it’s out of the truck. I would like to trim the passenger frame rail but won’t have an idea of where and amount until the engine is set into place. Is there anyway you could provide some detailed measurements e.g. length and width that needs trimmed? It looks like you began cutting just to the rear of a rivet on the cross member.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old Time RV'er
What did you do about your crossover pipe?
You mean the Y-pipe? I only wrapped the headers, stopping before the flanges. I didn't want to wrap anything that wasn't stainless.

Originally Posted by Mr-Pipeline
I’m installing E-Bay headers on my V10 while it’s out of the truck. I would like to trim the passenger frame rail but won’t have an idea of where and amount until the engine is set into place. Is there anyway you could provide some detailed measurements e.g. length and width that needs trimmed? It looks like you began cutting just to the rear of a rivet on the cross member.
I'll take a look and see if there's a way I can get an accurate measurement. I wish you'd asked last week before I wrapped the headers. I had the wheel liners out to do it, would've been a piece of cake to measure then...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Quickfords
New User
Wow...what a great thread!
I discovered the reason for my exhaust leak while I attempted to install the SPD y-pipe kit on my 2000 Ex. It has 100,000+ miles, but has been leaking for some time.
I installed the Dynomax muffler, new tailpipe and SS tip (all custom) a few weeks ago. I was hoping the SPD kit would be neat...and easy.....wrong.

Stupid me, i bought new ford studs two days ago to the entire job for $165. You can BET they're all going back!!

THANKS for the reassurance that the less expensive headers do work- I just spend a grand rebuilding the front end (BJ's, hub bearings, 4wd kits, etc) so another $600 hurts!!
I will order the headers and wrap them on the bench. Now, here is a suggestion for bolts: metric small-head S/S bolts will certainly help. I have purchased from these folks and like them :Totally Stainless. Full size bolts and headers o together like oil and water.
By the time this is all done, it'll cost just under $300.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
rwchugger
New User
in regards to the EGR issue

If I have the EGR, is it possible to mount it on the new stainless headers and if so...where would be the best location? Also, did ya'll wrap the headers for heat issues or simply the noise. Thanks, love the info and all the wonderful pics.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rwchugger
If I have the EGR, is it possible to mount it on the new stainless headers and if so...where would be the best location? Also, did ya'll wrap the headers for heat issues or simply the noise. Thanks, love the info and all the wonderful pics.
Not really sure about the EGR location - but I bet you'd have to weld a bung into the header to accept the EGR tube.

You may want to avoid wrapping the headers ---- I think my wrap might be a partial cause of pre-mature failure of the header. I think one (driver's side) may have cracked below the wrap do to extreme heat.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
pagnew
Senior User
Thumbs up

Very cool thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rwchugger
You have to weld on an EGR bung. Most header manufacturers however offer their headers in both EGR and NON EGR versions. I would think the best place to put the EGR fitting is as close to stock location as possible.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Blark
Freshman User
Curious if there are any problems with the starter getting to hot due to the headers. Mine will be going on next week (finally) and would like to take care of any problems in that area should there be.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Deltaskier
Freshman User
Wow, I'm so far behind everyone here.

Quick Reply: Headers (hopefully) going in this weekend