6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford F550 V8 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel... would it be a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:32 AM
Flyhight
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying a truck for a long trip purpose (Central and South America for 4 years).
I've found one with plenty of space and all the necessary equipment for an overland trip.
But I've readen a lot of bad things with this engine.
Seems like the 6.4L Powerstroke diesel isn't that reliable and costs a lot in repairs.
What are your thoughts about it?

Here's the beast:

Truck-

2008 F-550 V8 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel
4door (crewcab) 4x4 auto
warn bumper with 15k winch ( off brand winch)
50'' led light bar
Skid plates like from nose to tail
130k miles
tow package
19.5 wheels ( dually)
Bilstein suspension
custom running board sliders
skirted ( lower boxes and skirt) Ck flatbed
Side boxes to fit under camper
hidden goose-neck capable
It was custom built for Hot Shot fire crews. The interior is rubber floor as basic as you get. The permanent campfire smell if free.

Camper-

Corsair Hardside 2002
Canadian build- 4 inch think dual wall insulation system - true 4 season camper
ducting into basement where all the tanks live.
amazing lay out- lots of room similar to Bigfoot camper
full dry bath ( not common in non pop out) Shower and toilet opposite of each other
Brand new last week electric jacks
Zamp solar system 350 watts
4 6volt batteries Power for days
2000 inverter watt system wired in - plug yourself into your self
grey system overhaul
dual bbq propane
oven- have you ever baked cookies off grid? You should
ac/heat
No generator- didn't need it with solar system
odds and ends ( spent two months at dealership getting fixed) nothing major just taking advantage of our extended coverage

Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
If it's a well maintained truck, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Lets face it, if it's man made it has problems. I bought an 08 f350 6 months ago and love it. I had to use it to tow my 99 7.3 f250 down our paved street sideways last week due to total electrical failure. (Yes sideways...lol, had no one around to steer).

If you haven't already, a dpf delete and EGR delete will bring the truck into the worry free zone.

Absolute intervals on fluid and filter changes should be at the top of your list. Other concerns are quality fuel.

We've all had "THAT" vehicle that was problematic and it didn't fall into a year, model, or category that was widely scrutinized to be a lemon. That said, the 6.4 is a monster and as long as you feed it well, it should be "Nice" to you.

If you are indeed going that far south, the main consideration of mine would be carrying the expected wear items along with you. Not an extensive list, but particularly important items in terms of availability in remote areas.

An auxiliary fuel tank would be on my "A" list.

Have fun!!

Denny

Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I view the high miles as a good thing. I would also vote for an auxiliary tank with a significant fuel filter inline - the 6.4L is fuel sensitive.

Obviously a tragic boating accident in your future, were a sea monster ripped the DPF off the truck and hauled it off to Davie Jones locker.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
there are a few design problems which take the 6.4 issues beyond the failure to maintain in my opinion.

the fuel pump can easily suffer from fuel starvation and the end result is metal particles in the injectors which could leave an injector stuck open resulting in a toruch hole in the piston.

the cam timing is more agressive than the international version of this engine and lifter problems that take out the cam and can only be fixed with an engine pull are common.

stock push rods bend very easy and the replacement rods are actally shorter

the DPF regen process will inject fuel into the rear cylinders and result in fuel dilution of oil resulting in engine wear , cracked injector housings, or even engine lock up

the rocker tips do not get enough luube and wear like break pads, if left unrepaired the pivot ball on the rocker dislodges and the rocker falls.....if this happens to the exhaust rocker...hydro locking and bent piston rod can result.

the water pump housing will cavitate pouring coolant into crank case.

the exhaust sensors fail and will leave you standed on the side of the road.

and the list can go on.

I wouuld normally tell folks that were not mechanically inclined to only buy if the vehicle had an extended warranty, but if you are going to be traveling central and south amreica that would be bad advise since the likely hood of dealer support would be low.

If I were going to do 4 years of travel in a truck, if it was an american truuck, it would have to be a v10 gas engine.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
brada
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the fuel in south america would not be compatible with a DPF? I would be for sure adding a Fass or Bull Dog.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Flyhight
New User
Thank you for taking time to answer, Denny.

I'm just a bit disturbed by the many complaints I read about this engine. But as you correctly stated, it probably all depends on how maintained the truck was. I've noted your tips and will make sure to care about these few points. Spare parts will of course be part of the trip :-) Thanks very much!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Flyhight
New User
Hi Copper.Farm, let's hope it does not happen this way! lol
Auxiliary tank mentionne twice??! Seems like I'll have to seriously consider the option, then.
Man thanks!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Flyhight
New User
Hi Speakerfritz, thanks for your detailed (and scary) answer.

But I angry with you: better safe than sorry.

Do you think that I still would take risks with buying this truck if:
- the OASIS report shows really good maintenance records and no important mechanical issues such as mentioned
- I elaborate and manage a precise maintenance plan for the coming 4 years

To know this engine this well, I suspect you owned one yourself, right?

Going further, what would be your top3 choice as a truck for this trip?

Many thanks!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Flyhight
New User
Originally Posted by brada
I think the fuel in south america would not be compatible with a DPF? I would be for sure adding a Fass or Bull Dog.
Hi Brada, thanks! I'll check what it is, then :-)

Old 01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Flyhight
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there are a few design problems which take the 6.4 issues beyond the failure to maintain in my opinion.

the fuel pump can easily suffer from fuel starvation and the end result is metal particles in the injectors which could leave an injector stuck open resulting in a toruch hole in the piston.

the cam timing is more agressive than the international version of this engine and lifter problems that take out the cam and can only be fixed with an engine pull are common.

stock push rods bend very easy and the replacement rods are actally shorter

the DPF regen process will inject fuel into the rear cylinders and result in fuel dilution of oil resulting in engine wear , cracked injector housings, or even engine lock up

the rocker tips do not get enough luube and wear like break pads, if left unrepaired the pivot ball on the rocker dislodges and the rocker falls.....if this happens to the exhaust rocker...hydro locking and bent piston rod can result.

the water pump housing will cavitate pouring coolant into crank case.

the exhaust sensors fail and will leave you standed on the side of the road.

and the list can go on.

I wouuld normally tell folks that were not mechanically inclined to only buy if the vehicle had an extended warranty, but if you are going to be traveling central and south amreica that would be bad advise since the likely hood of dealer support would be low.

If I were going to do 4 years of travel in a truck, if it was an american truuck, it would have to be a v10 gas engine.
Hi Speakerfritz, thanks for your detailed (and scary) answer.

But I angry with you: better safe than sorry.

Do you think that I still would take risks with buying this truck if:
- the OASIS report shows really good maintenance records and no important mechanical issues such as mentioned
- I elaborate and manage a precise maintenance plan for the coming 4 years

To know this engine this well, I suspect you owned one yourself, right?

Going further, what would be your top3 choice as a truck for this trip?

Many thanks!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
I totally respect everyone's input and don't by any means want to give anyone a poke in the eye. I'm not that guy.

Mechanically speaking, there are a lot of stories out there about these units being notorious for failure. I guess my point is this: My first car was a 76 Pinto. (the one that exploded on rear impact). I got nailed 4 times and I don't have a burnt hair.

I have a JD 455 tractor that my Dad handed down (Diesel), Still my right hand guy!

My DD is a 7.3 E99 and I've owned it for a quarter million miles. (Still driving it).

It's due diligence to pay attention and do your research. I retired from the military with 23 years as a sailor and there are no options at sea as far as repairs that you can do when your in the thick of things in the worst of conditions.

I live on a street where there are two mailboxes within eyeshot in Northern Michigan. My own and the neighbors. Every year, the neighbors is gone from a snowplow going by. Both the same model, same distance from the street. The difference being, I maintain mine and he doesn't.

Do your homework (as obviously you are) Grab up everything you can prior to disembarking and make a solid choice.

If I had to answer your bottom line question responsibly.........(And with your welfare in mind)....I would forgo the vehicle and fly.

Bottom line, If you are into adventure (and you obviously are), Your choice of modes would be the one I choose.

Disclaimer: Me being a sailor, I'm going with a 47 ft S2 sailboat, ****loads of ammo and beer. (and my pretty first mate).

Denny

Old 01-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Flyhight
New User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
I totally respect everyone's input and don't by any means want to give anyone a poke in the eye. I'm not that guy.

Mechanically speaking, there are a lot of stories out there about these units being notorious for failure. I guess my point is this: My first car was a 76 Pinto. (the one that exploded on rear impact). I got nailed 4 times and I don't have a burnt hair.

I have a JD 455 tractor that my Dad handed down (Diesel), Still my right hand guy!

My DD is a 7.3 E99 and I've owned it for a quarter million miles. (Still driving it).

It's due diligence to pay attention and do your research. I retired from the military with 23 years as a sailor and there are no options at sea as far as repairs that you can do when your in the thick of things in the worst of conditions.

I live on a street where there are two mailboxes within eyeshot in Northern Michigan. My own and the neighbors. Every year, the neighbors is gone from a snowplow going by. Both the same model, same distance from the street. The difference being, I maintain mine and he doesn't.

Do your homework (as obviously you are) Grab up everything you can prior to disembarking and make a solid choice.

If I had to answer your bottom line question responsibly.........(And with your welfare in mind)....I would forgo the vehicle and fly.

Bottom line, If you are into adventure (and you obviously are), Your choice of modes would be the one I choose.

Disclaimer: Me being a sailor, I'm going with a 47 ft S2 sailboat, ****loads of ammo and beer. (and my pretty first mate).

Denny
I just received the OASIS report and looking at it.
On the fly mode question ... this is not an option. The idea of this trip is to get lost in remote places, meet people and cultures in many different places and visit these countries on unpaved roads, far away from touristic areas. I'll also have to carry all of my windsurf and surf gear with me. So the only option I choose will be a strong truck and a robust slide-in camper.
As a sailor too, I would have love a boat... but it's unfortunately way over my budget :-)
Thanks for your valuable input, Denny!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Your welcome sir!! I'm subscribed to your thread. As I learn more about this truck, so shall you weedhoppa!

Salute!

Denny