1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

4 Door rangers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 PM
LonnieD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Doors

Oh my gawd...that's a neat deal (true four door Ranger)..wow I sure wished they had that here!!! Man almost enough for a guy to drive down for...just like the new (old style) bugs being produced down there! Go figure....thanks for the picture, it sends a thousand words

Old 08-18-2004, 05:03 PM
psycocrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by WXboy
The Webmaster is right, the SportTrac IS the 4-door Ranger. HELLO guys...it's been out for years now.

Furthermore, Nissan is the ONLY company that currently offers a 4-door truck with a 6' bed. Therefore even if Ford built a Ranger pickup with 4 full-size doors, it wouldn't accomplish anything that the SportTrac doesn't already.

If you want a long bed for hauling, get a regular or SuperCab. If you want to haul people, get a SportTrac. Unfortunately, most companies don't give us an option for both yet.

what bout the 4 door dakotas? and chevy s10 has it now.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:32 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And of course, Ford of Europe has the 4-door Ranger. Irish member Kitz-e-kat has one, and it's a turbo-diesel to boot. https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=11474

Old 08-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Django
New User
Why do the Euro Rangers look so much different than the Americas (north and south)? I have to say they don't do it for me (no offense)

I don't like the Sport Trac because they are too "SUV". It may mechanically be a Ranger, but visually and marketing all are geared as SUV. I'd be ok with that but I have never liked it from the rear door back. Yuck.

I will never own an S10 but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Crew Cab Colorado 4wd with color keyed bumpers and grill (so it at least resembles my Splash somewhat)

Old 09-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Smurf-Slayer
Senior User
Ford had been making 4 Door Rangers overseas for many years.

Chevy allowed Centruion to cut up S10 Blazers, and make them into 4 Door S-10s. You got an SUV 4 door truck with 4 wheel disc brakes and 4x4 for about $42,000. That was INSANE, but people bought them. Two years later, Chevy comes out with the Factory 4 Door S-10... now it's gone and replaced by the Colorado.

Toyota and Nissan have both had 4 door mini trucks for YEARS... since the early 80's... They were all over Mexico and across the Atlantic. I had even seen some on some farms in southern Arizona.... They didn't have License Plates on them becuase they wouldn't pass emmisions -OR- a safety inspection...

And then Dodge comes out with the Dakota, and then a 4 door. So Chevy answers that by ditching the S-10 4 door and replacing it with the bigger Colorado...

I'm insulted by folks who say that the Explorer Sport track is a Ford Ranger. it's not, and never will be. It's MOSTLY plastic to start off with. Like a Ford Escape, or a Chevy Avalanche. In Arizona the plastic parts look like crap in 3 to 5 years because the sun bakes them. If they are painted, they last longer, but eventuly the heat gets to them too. And the Explorer Sport Track is hardly a "truck".... A 4 foot bed is good for what now? Just like the new GMC "blazer" with the rollback roof... yeah, they are neet, but how usable is EITHER one of them?

Everyone needs to call Ford and tell them they want a Four Door Ranger. Sooner or later they will make one.

This issue has come up a BUNCH on the FordRanger.com website.... Including the V-8 issue.

A 4.0 Crew Cab Ranger would do me just fine, and I'd be in line with a deposit to get one on order has soon has I hear they are coming out.

Until then, lots of folks are Buying Chevy Colorados and Dodge Dakotas and FORD is LOOSING Money.

-Chris

Currently own:

1985 Ranger Reg Cab 2x4 (2.3l)
1978 F350 Super Cab Ranger XLT Trailer Special (7.5L)

I've owned every year Ranger between 1983 and 1988, in every configuration. I've also had a 1996 Super Cab 2x4 4.0l.

Rangers are Great. Explorer Sport Tracs are PLASTIC, and appeal to the Soccer Moms, not a true truck enthusiast....

My $1.00 worth....

Old 09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
wresleu
Elder User
Fortunate for me I live in Iowa. We have no emmissions tests or inspections here. This state is pretty lax on all that jazz. So heck, maybe I'll have to check into getting one shipped up here.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:14 PM
mattd860
Mountain Pass
Can anybody get one shipped to their state? Can they be registered legally if they pass inspection and emission.

Why wouldn't a brand new ranger from europe or brazil pass inspection or emission?? couldn't you slap some different cadilac converters on or something anyways?

Old 09-17-2004, 09:43 PM
99xlt4.04x4
Posting Guru
Competition between the sport trac and the ranger is not a bad thing for ford: they make money either way. Competition between ford and other makes is bad: they DONT make money both ways. And more and more people are switching to other makes to get what they want.

Im also curious about the legal issues involved in importing a ranger. Sounds kinda funny... An IMPORT ranger. lol But they do it with hondas and all that JDM stuff. I mean open up a copy of Sport compact or something like that and look at all the right hand drive cars here in the 'States.

Last edited by 99xlt4.04x4; 09-17-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what if ford made the sport-trac a unibody and did what g.m. did and make the rear cab wall / front of box fold down into the cab to extend bed lenth for when you need to have more cargo area? im thinking of doing something like that to my s/c ranger, i could have 8' of box when i needed it or fold up the "wall" when not needed.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:50 PM
cnw4621
Freshman User
Here's my take on the four-door Ranger vs. Sport Trac issue...

If Ford produced a stripped down Sport Trac then I might consider it. I don't need a rolldown rear window, fancy bedside tie downs or any of the other fancy doo-dads I've seen on the Sport Trac. What I would like to see is a 4 door Ranger/Sport Trac offered in XL trim level with a 2.3 L or 3.0 L and a reasonable price. I've owned an Explorer with all the bells and whistles and a well-optioned Super Duty, and while they were nice, I don't need/want all that stuff. Currently I drive a stripped down Ranger XL with AC and cruise, that's it. No power windows, no power mirrors, and a manual tranny. From what I've seen, the Sport Trac is NOT available that way; it's optioned pretty well, isn't it?

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the issue.

-IKE