Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Compatibility issues of 06 Van V10 into 2000 F350

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Reps sent, this is going into the tech folder - GREAT PICS, GREAT INFO all around.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you like the tail gate workbench or the trash can with plywood better? Just goes to show a project is possible with basic tools and primitive work space. However, I'm not sure I would have attempted this without the support from this forum. It provides a lot of confidence knowing you have people watching and providing tips and ideas along the way!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Thanks Krewat,

This might be a silly question...could you explain "reps"? And should I be giving them out to others?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Rep is the little green blocks below your post count. Just means you made posts that people found useful and you have a good reputation. Giving rep is up to you. I try to rep posts I find useful and I rep people back that give me rep or at least try to. There is no real etiquette when it comes to rep.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Motor mounts DO NOT cross over. The E-Series is on the left and F-Series on the right.

Here's a close-up of the oil pick-up tubes. The E-series on the left and F-series on the right. The F-series is longer and taller.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
<FONT face="Times New Roman">Picked up the FEL-PRO exhaust manifold gaskets after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

Old 05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Thermostats
<O</O
Both 2006 E-series 2V V10 and my 2000 F-series 2V V10 had 185 degree thermostats. I can only assume the 06 was stock and based on the lack of maintenance performed on my 00 it was also original. I believe OEM replacement is listed as 195…I’m going back with optional 180 degree thermostat.

---

Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I do believe my '01 had a 185 in it. So... I'd stick with that. Great pics!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
One question I have - does the e-series take LESS OIL than the f-series? Otherwise, why the shorter pickup tube - is the pan deeper on the f-series?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3><STRONG><U>Trouble in <ST1<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<st1:PlaceType></st1:PlaceType></ST1<O</O
We were ready to install the radiator and oil cooler when we discovered it won’t fit! I used the 2006 E-series oil cooler housing (part that bolts to the block) and the oil cooler (part that my oil filter spins on from my 2000 F-series. Well…when you compare them by the eye, the look the same. However, the E-series oil cooler housing is slightly shorter and doesn’t allow the cooler to drop low enough for the radiator line to clear the motor mounts. We considered all options and the best is jack up the engine and install the 2000 cooler housing from my original engine. Crap, we were an hour from starting the beast. I’ll take some pictures when I get the E-series cooler housing out. This is a major disappointment but should only add about 2 additional hours to the project.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Krewat,
<O</O
I didn’t take a comparison photo of the oil pans side by side. I do have two photos that show each pan and the shape of the sump. I believe the F-series 4x4 pan has a skinny deep sump to clear the cross member. While the E-series pan has a wide sump and not as deep as the F-series 4x4. I think the capacity is the same it just carries it differently. Check out the pictures below…I think it helps illustrate my explanation.

Below is the F-series oil pan

Below is the E-series oil pan

-----

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Besides the oil cooler issue “more on that later” I did have a few items I wanted to share. I replaced the injector o-rings but had a difficult time removing the bottom o-ring. I have a special tool that is designed for this purpose but felt I was putting too much pressure on the injector to pull them over the lip. So I decided to cut each of the bottom o-rings for easy removal. Second, I have/had a header clearance problem. I installed my EBay headers while the engine was on the engine stand so I had to use photos to judge where and how much to trim the frame. When we lowered the engine the first time I noticed the header was hitting the frame. So I had to trim the frame a second time to allow for proper header clearance.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Mr-Pipeline
Senior User
Here’s the part that caused all the problems earlier today. Looking at the photo it’s easy to see the difference between the two parts. But while they were bolted to the block they looked the same. I even took my oil cooler and verified it would fit on the 2006 oil cooler housing. When we began bolting up the radiator and oil cooler I know something was seriously wrong. We looked at it from every angle, talked about purchasing an 2006 oil cooler, anything to keep from lifting the engine another time. The 2006 cooler wouldn’t work because of the angle and height difference, it just wouldn’t clear. So we unbolted the power steering pump and motor mounts and attempted to lift…no go. We had to remove the throttle body and linkage to allow for enough lift to remove the driver side motor mount and unbolt the oil cooler housing. Shouldn’t take long in the morning to finish up and fire up the new/used motor.

E-series oil cooler housing on the left, F-series housing on the right

Last edited by Mr-Pipeline; 05-22-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I've been following along as you have done this job from diagnosis to this point in the installation and have to say you have done a great job of detailing the effort involved in doing a job like this. I hope it's running soon and good luck with it. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Yikes, what a pain in the ***** with that oil cooler.

And THANKS for the pan pictures, that explains it. It might come in handy for people wanting to install the V10 in various other vehicles.

Quick Reply: Compatibility issues of 06 Van V10 into 2000 F350