Sponsored by: DP Tuner

White smoke, and oil leaking from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool White smoke, and oil leaking from exhaust

Well yesterday the girlfriend and I were all loaded up for a long trip to go snow machining and fourwheeling but before we even got out of town the truck started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust and when I got out to go look I noticed oil in the end of the exhaust pipe. My first thoughts are the o-rings in the turbo pedestal. Any other thoughts as to what this could be?

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at the turbo shaft seals, Remove the intake tube from the turbo and check for shaft movement. Someone else can jump in to offer more advice, but that is where I would start.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Check your oil level first. You're likely pretty low. Smokescreen, oil dripping out tail pipe, I'll agree with Bob. Sounds like it's time to rebuild the turbo. Check your shaft for movement.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not enough info,did the engine start knocking?loud?could also be a bad injector

Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
sideshow
Elder User
I'm guessing turbo seals too. Here's what mine looked like.

It looked like I was laying down the super smoke screen from spy hunter (remember that game?). Once up to speed, where not building much boost, it was fine, but from a dead stop, it would white out all lanes of traffic. Mine gave out while towing my landscape trailer loaded with lumber. I had to limp the truck about 20 miles home and didn't think I'd make it. Luckily, I had already found a used turbo on ebay, and it was sitting on my doorstep when I got home. I wasted no time, and swapped that sucker out right away. It ain't no fun pulling the turbo on a HOT engine let me tell you that.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
The turbo on this thing is only about 2 years old. Got a new one from Ford when the other went bad. Didn't really hear any knocking that sounded out of the ordinary though. Would a bad injector make it leak oil out the exhaust? How do I check for a bad injector? I'm gonna pull stuff off the engine tomorrow and check the turbo for play first, then start cleaning everything up. I ordered an o-ring combo pack from Clay and was gonna replace whatever needed replacing. I've been noticing some oil on the starter for a little while now so I'm gonna replace the dipstick o-ring as well. That's one's not in the pack clay sells.

*Hey Clay ever thought about adding the oil pan flange nut, inner o-ring, and dipstick tube o-ring to your site?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:47 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Got a lot pulled apart yesterday and luckily my turbo doesn't look like sideshow's pics above. I can see oil coming from what I believe is the EBPV. Gonna pull apart more today and take some more pics. I'll post pics a little later.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Got the turbo off today, and removed the starter as well just to clean things up under the truck. The starter was caked in old oil. Gonna replace the dipstick o-rings but in the mean time here's the pics of the turbo. No oil in the intake side but a lot of soot and I think oil caked on the exhaust side. I'm not sure what exactly is leaking for me to get oil in the exhaust but if you have any ideas please help. I checked the turbo for play, and there's no side to side play but just a very tiny amount of play up and down. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Attached Images    
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Here's the pic of the up pipes and exhaust down pipe. Do I need to remove the pedestal to fix whatever is wrong?

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blown turbo. Time for rebuild or new turbo. U r still gonna smoke for a while after replacement due to muffler packing full of oil too. Espescially under a load.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Skeeter bug mobile for awhile after the turbo rebuild or new one like Fire Rooster said. Depending on additial mods later on, beefing things up HP's wise and were you want to go with your truck, you have stock and upgraded turbos, H2E and Garrett 38R ball bearing turbos. Take your pic, your paying for it.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
sideshow
Elder User
I figured it would look like that. If i'm not mistaken, the only way oil can make it into the exhaust and look like that would be when the bearings are shot. Mine looke pretty much like that in the downpipe. It also appears that you have another problem, separate from the oil in the downpipe, which is a leaking EBPV actuator. There's a rebuild kit for that too, but I don't know if Clay has that or not.

I rebuilt mine today (thought I could hear the chirp like when the compressor wheel makes contact with the housing, even though it didnt have any play and threre was no visible evidence of contact ever being made) and once torn apart discovered that the collector (babies butt as some call it) wiggles around like crazy, and soot was all over the up pipes. Guess its time for those bellowed ones. This probably explains my sucky mileage lately. Guess I'll have to live with crappy mileage until I can find an opening in my work schedule in the next couple weeks.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sideshow
I figured it would look like that. If i'm not mistaken, the only way oil can make it into the exhaust and look like that would be when the bearings are shot. Mine looke pretty much like that in the downpipe. It also appears that you have another problem, separate from the oil in the downpipe, which is a leaking EBPV actuator. There's a rebuild kit for that too, but I don't know if Clay has that or not.

I rebuilt mine today (thought I could hear the chirp like when the compressor wheel makes contact with the housing, even though it didnt have any play and threre was no visible evidence of contact ever being made) and once torn apart discovered that the collector (babies butt as some call it) wiggles around like crazy, and soot was all over the up pipes. Guess its time for those bellowed ones. This probably explains my sucky mileage lately. Guess I'll have to live with crappy mileage until I can find an opening in my work schedule in the next couple weeks.
Riffraff Diesel: Exhaust Backpressure Valve piston rebuild kit

Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbos shot...

I would suggest something other then the stocker. Be it a Van turbo or a 38r...

Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm up here in AK and money is definitely tight. Anybody know where I could get a van turbo? What would it cost me to rebuild the stocker vs. buying a 38Rbb?

Also, what would make the turbo "blow"? What is the failed part? Journal bearing?

Last edited by ztodd377; 04-12-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: needed to add to post

Quick Reply: White smoke, and oil leaking from exhaust